Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't believe in MASSIVE tax increases to the middle class and the VAST MAJORITY of the country in order to give MASSIVE tax cuts to the richest of the rich. That is EXACTLY what a flat tax would do, especially one that doesn't allow deductions.

What is the flat tax % you favor btw?
I don't believe the middle class would get a "massive" tax increase.

I don't believe the richest would get a tax cut.

I will levae the exact % to the experts to figure out.

I have read anywhere fron 17 to 25%. It could be lower or higher.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I don't believe the middle class would get a "massive" tax increase.

I don't believe the richest would get a tax cut.

I will levae the exact % to the experts to figure out.

I have read anywhere fron 17 to 25%. It could be lower or higher.
That would be huge middle class tax increases, look at the post at the bottom of the last page comparing a 13% flat tax, to the current system.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why does the left want to raise taxes on only half the country?

I wonder the same thing.

Why does the left expect 47% of us who actually pay taxes to pay for the 53% of losers who do not pay taxes?

NO healthy America should get away with paying zero taxes and use all the services and goods paid for by the others. It is stealing.

Every single America who is over 18 and healthy should be paying something in the way of taxes.

Even the min wagers should be paying to use our roads, bridges, libraries etc. instead of getting huge refund checks of money they never earned in the first place.

Why is the left so crazy about stealing from successful smart people and handing it out to lazy welfare losers who wont work?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I wonder the same thing.

Why does the left expect 47% of us who actually pay taxes to pay for the 53% of losers who do not pay taxes?

NO healthy America should get away with paying zero taxes and use all the services and goods paid for by the others. It is stealing.

Every single America who is over 18 and healthy should be paying something in the way of taxes.

Even the min wagers should be paying to use our roads, bridges, libraries etc. instead of getting huge refund checks of money they never earned in the first place.

Why is the left so crazy about stealing from successful smart people and handing it out to lazy welfare losers who wont work?
A key reason why some people pay nothing in taxes is deductions for dependent, a standard deduction or itemized deduction on things such as property taxes, and mortgage interest as well as the Child tax credit. Do you want to eliminate or reduce these deductions and credits? If so, do you have any idea what that would do to the middle class?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:15 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
A key reason why some people pay nothing in taxes is deductions for dependent, a standard deduction or itemized deduction on things such as property taxes, and mortgage interest as well as the Child tax credit. Do you want to eliminate or reduce these deductions and credits? If so, do you have any idea what that would do to the middle class?
not everyone qualifies for these taxes. You make a blanket statement about raising taxes for ALL middle class, but then you reference single items that only effect a percentage of people. It is fuzzy math

Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
not everyone qualifies for these taxes. You make a blanket statement about raising taxes for ALL middle class, but then you reference single items that only effect a percentage of people. It is fuzzy math
Every single middle class person takes advantage of at least some of the deductions I mentioned.

Anyway, I pointed out the reasons why some people do not pay federal income taxes. If you would force them to start paying federal income taxes you would have to cut or reduce some of those deductions and credits.

So how are you going to get those who don't pay federal income taxes to start paying them?? Which of those reductions are you going to remove?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Every single middle class person takes advantage of at least some of the deductions I mentioned.

Anyway, I pointed out the reasons why some people do not pay federal income taxes. If you would force them to start paying federal income taxes you would have to cut or reduce some of those deductions and credits.

So how are you going to get those who don't pay federal income taxes to start paying them?? Which of those reductions are you going to remove?

Ask Obama he has the most talented economic team every assembled remember!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Ask Obama he has the most talented economic team every assembled remember!!!

In others words you want those who are not currently paying federal income taxes to start paying them, but can't explain what deductions or credits you would cut or eliminate in order to get them to do so.....

Old 10-17-2010, 07:46 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
If tea party members and supporters repeatedly complain that only the rich pay taxes and 47% of Americans don't pay any taxes, what is their solution for this? Are they ok with half the country not paying taxes? How do they want to remedy this? They've made it clear that they want the rich to pay less taxes, but what about the people who don't pay, which is close to half of Americans, by their estimates. If they claim that they don't want to raise taxes on the lower half, are they essentially saying it's ok they don't pay taxes. If that's the case, why the complaining? Isn't it unfair that the rich would still continue to be the only ones that pay taxes, according to them.

Top 50% of Wage Earners Pay 96.03% of Income Taxes

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...al-income-tax/

Hannity still clinging to fact-free claim that half of Americans pay no taxes | Media Matters for America
First of all, the TEA party is not an single organization, like the DNC or Rainbow Push. MoveOn.org or the National Action Network, so if you are looking for a singular and definitive answer, you will never get one.

However, in the discussions I have heard, and my own opinions are that all Americans should help pay their fair share of taxes, no matter how much income they earn. Wealthy people will always pay more in taxes in real dollars, then the poor, simply because they earn more. but the way our government currently operates, our elected politicians to the federal government seem to be abusing the tax system to enrich themselves and buy their own elections with favors purchased from our taxes.

Our current leader of the US senate has amassed about $4-$6 million dollars of personal wealth, even though he has been on a fixed salary as a US senator for more then 30 years.

I have heard the TEA party groups speak of trying to get us all into a flat tax system. This would deny the crony capitalists in Washington the ability to make deals and working the tax code to make themselves and their corporate friends and donors wealthy, depending on new loop holes the politicians can write into law.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
In others words you want those who are not currently paying federal income taxes to start paying them, but can't explain what deductions or credits you would cut or eliminate in order to get them to do so.....
A consumption tax is the easiest way to fix the problem but the people who currently pay no income taxes hate the idea... so do the Democrats who rely heavily on their votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies