Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times

Advertisements

I don't think the Tea Party'ers are complaining about the citizens who don't pay federal taxes. They are complaining about government waste. Where I come from, most of those who don't pay those federal taxes ARE paying state and local taxes thru state income tax, sales tax, property tax and other fees and assessments. For many, that's a struggle. But like an earlier poster said, there's no free lunch.

Nobody's getting by for free. Even the homeless guy gets tagged when he buys a soda at the local gas station.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I thnik that all should pay some income tax. If we want to stop the spending of federal governamnt that is killing this antion and making depedents of mnay it has to be done. I don't thnik nayne thinks that having no ski in the game leads to people that make good voting decidions. If people aren't will to pay will think twice about wanting so much fat in this society that does nothing for it really.I can still remmeber when locally if you wanted your street repaved they took a suvey of citznes living in your block and if 80% were willig to pay a accessment based on front fottage;it got put on a list to be repaved.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Define the "middle class"? We should eliminate whatever loopholes are in place which allow a person to pay nothing in taxes and still get a refund, that wouldn't do anything to the middle class because by my personal definition you're not in the middle class if you don't pay any federal income tax. You want me to keep going?
Those "loopholes" are things like exemptions per dependent, the standard deduction or for those who itemize a property tax deductions, mortgage interest deductions, also have child tax credit's for those with kids under 17. Those are all key reasons why some people lay nothing in federal taxes. All of these things the middle class also take advantage of. If you remove them or reduce them you would wind up having the taxes for those in the middle class soar. A family of four making $65,000 would see large tax increases if you reduce or eliminate the "loopholes".

So again the question remains. So if you are serious about having those who do not pay federal taxes to start paying them, what do you do? Do you cut or eliminate these deductions and credits? Which would also result in impacting the taxes on the middle class, especially middle class families. Or do you do something else? And if so what?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik that all should pay some income tax. If we want to stop the spending of federal governamnt that is killing this antion and making depedents of mnay it has to be done. I don't thnik nayne thinks that having no ski in the game leads to people that make good voting decidions. If people aren't will to pay will think twice about wanting so much fat in this society that does nothing for it really.I can still remmeber when locally if you wanted your street repaved they took a suvey of citznes living in your block and if 80% were willig to pay a accessment based on front fottage;it got put on a list to be repaved.
As I said earlier a key reason why many people do not pay any federal income taxes are due to things like deductions per dependent that someone has, a personal or standard deduction or things like a property tax deduction and mortgage interest deduction. Not to mention child tax credits for those with kids under 17. Those are all major reasons why many people do not pay federal income taxes. All of those things also help reduce the tax burden of the middle class. So what do you do??

If you reduce or eliminate some of those deductions and credits in order to get those who are paying nothing to pay something, you also do the same thing for those who are in the middle class. As a result the middle class taxes would increase as a result.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I don't think the Tea Party'ers are complaining about the citizens who don't pay federal taxes. They are complaining about government waste. Where I come from, most of those who don't pay those federal taxes ARE paying state and local taxes thru state income tax, sales tax, property tax and other fees and assessments. For many, that's a struggle. But like an earlier poster said, there's no free lunch.

Nobody's getting by for free. Even the homeless guy gets tagged when he buys a soda at the local gas station.
That's not entirely true, I believe everyone should pay federal income taxes. If I have to pay them everyone should. You have people who have no income (no income taxes paid) living in government subsidized housing (no property tax or rent paid) eating food provided by the state government (no state sales taxes paid) and sending their children to public school (no school taxes paid) where they're fed for free with tax dollars. Liberals hate the idea of a consumption tax because they know it's impossible to cheat.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Those "loopholes" are things like exemptions per dependent, the standard deduction or for those who itemize a property tax deductions, mortgage interest deductions, also have child tax credit's for those with kids under 17. Those are all key reasons why some people lay nothing in federal taxes. All of these things the middle class also take advantage of. If you remove them or reduce them you would wind up having the taxes for those in the middle class soar. A family of four making $65,000 would see large tax increases if you reduce or eliminate the "loopholes".

So again the question remains. So if you are serious about having those who do not pay federal taxes to start paying them, what do you do? Do you cut or eliminate these deductions and credits? Which would also result in impacting the taxes on the middle class, especially middle class families. Or do you do something else? And if so what?
Having children is a choice and that choice should not eliminate a person's responsibility to pay taxes. A lot of people use additional children as income whether that's in the form of tax deductions or subsidies from the government. People take advantage of the system all the time and those of us who work hard and pay taxes end up footing the bill. A flat consumption tax would eliminate all problems, eliminate a ton of unneeded government red tape and would make everything fair.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Having children is a choice and that choice should not eliminate a person's responsibility to pay taxes. A lot of people use additional children as income whether that's in the form of tax deductions or subsidies from the government. People take advantage of the system all the time and those of us who work hard and pay taxes end up footing the bill. A flat consumption tax would eliminate all problems, eliminate a ton of unneeded government red tape and would make everything fair.
So your in favor of massive tax increases on middle class families (exactly what this would do). Thats good to know....

Old 10-15-2010, 10:57 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Flat tax. Done. Everyone pays, no one gets a rebate check. No crazy deductions for wiping with your left hand instead of your right. No cheating (or at least a lot less).

Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Flat tax. Done. Everyone pays, no one gets a rebate check. No crazy deductions for wiping with your left hand instead of your right. No cheating (or at least a lot less).
Since you said no crazy deductions, I won't go into those, but will ask about some of the most common deductions taxpayers take.

Would you allow the personal exemptions and exemptions per dependent? If so the same amount as now or a different amount? Would you allow a standard deduction? Again if so, would you allow the same amount as now, or would it be a different amount? As far as those who choose to itemize deductions, would you allow deductions for property taxes and/or mortgage interest? If so would it have any limitations?? Would you allow a child tax credit? If so a similar amount as of now or different, and would it come with any limitations. Lastly, what would the flat tax % be?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
If tea party members and supporters repeatedly complain that only the rich pay taxes and 47% of Americans don't pay any taxes, what is their solution for this? Are they ok with half the country not paying taxes? How do they want to remedy this? They've made it clear that they want the rich to pay less taxes, but what about the people who don't pay, which is close to half of Americans, by their estimates. If they claim that they don't want to raise taxes on the lower half, are they essentially saying it's ok they don't pay taxes. If that's the case, why the complaining? Isn't it unfair that the rich would still continue to be the only ones that pay taxes, according to them.

Top 50% of Wage Earners Pay 96.03% of Income Taxes

FoxNews.com - Nearly Half of U.S. Households Pay No Federal Income Tax

Hannity still clinging to fact-free claim that half of Americans pay no taxes | Media Matters for America
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Well, if the Tea Party movement were an actual political party, as you seem to be convinced it is, we could go to their web page to see what their platform says on the matter, but since it isn't a political party or even a single organization, we'll have to leave opinions on issues like the one you describe to individuals.

I personally dislike the income tax because it directly penalizes productivity. A more fair and sensible method of revenue generation would be import tarrifs, use taxes and taxes on personal property. The federal government incures costs associated with protecting the citizens and their property, therefore, to the degree we enjoy this protection, we should be obligated to pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Didn't you read my post? You quoted it. I'll post the first sentence again

Do you believe people like Rush and Hannity when they claim that half of Americans don't pay taxes. If you do, what is your solution to this? Make them pay or allow them not to pay?

Do you think "Tea Party" members and supporters have one opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies