Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I would be equally outraged if Justices had been invited attendees at a Democratic planning session.

However, I have not found any evidence that they have been. Do you have any?
That has not been proven either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
I would be equally outraged if Justices had been invited attendees at a Democratic planning session.

However, I have not found any evidence that they have been. Do you have any?
If I find Sotomayor has been keeping up with her ties to La Rasa or meeting with the NAACP about affirmative action; or information of Kegan selling influence to Muslim extremist as she did at Harvard or meeting with gay rights activists, you can be certain I won't let you down and will post what I find far and wide.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,535,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If I find Sotomayor has been keeping up with her ties to La Rasa or meeting with the NAACP about affirmative action; or information of Kegan selling influence to Muslim extremist as she did at Harvard or meeting with gay rights activists, you can be certain I won't let you down and will post what I find far and wide.

La Raza or the NAACP are not political parties. They are influence groups and that's not the same thing.

Justices routinely address interest groups, such as the VFW or NRA, but they don't routinely attend planning sessions for the next election with a poltical party. Nor should they.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Why are Supreme Court justices involved in planning sessions for either political party? What business do they have involving themselves in partisan politics?
Because a political party is involved with writing LAWS that the Supreme Court will eventually have to rule on. Personally I'd rather they make sure they write laws that will pass constitutional muster and not need challenged, overtruled, and rewritten, but I guess you'd rather go through the 10+ years it takes with unconstitutional laws on the books while they go through being challenged..

Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
one word

kagan

Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've always felt that Supreme Court Judges were nonpartisan because they are the highest court in the land and no one can overrule them.

It pains me to think that their opinions are tainted by their outside activities.

I understand that Supreme Court Judges can be impeached and I believe that it's called for when they are not impartial justices.

Are you naive?
You have not notice the 5-4 votes down party lines?
Your going to get a conservative if a Republican is in office and your going to get a Progressive if a Democrat holds office.

Look at the last 2 appointments Obama has added to the Supreme court.

You think either of them don't have an agenda?
He added a racist and a moral-less inexperienced hack.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
one word

kagan
true. she was an advisor to clinton.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Breaking news - Supreme Court Justices are people with their own viewpoints and political ideas.

How shocking.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,071 times
I miss Sandra Day O'Connor at times. Hopefully she keeps up her campaign against partisanship in the judicial system.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
And obama has a reason to dress down the SCOTUS justices on national tv in his SOTU address? What precedent is there for a president to do that?

Do liberal judges ever attend DNC meetings?
There is precedent and it was discussed at length after the SOTU address. A search will probably turn up those discussions here on C-D.

While there isn't any evidence that either justice attended any policy meetings, I think it is a very slippery slope given their recent rulings and given the activities of a certain spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies