Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, with NY requirements to protect oneself, I could understand why you dont own a firearm.

after all, the politicians and cops dont want the law abiding public to outgun them.

why else is there any victim disarmanent laws?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
really? then I take it if some perp breaks into your home you are not willing to defend your life...except if the police are there to save you.

firearms are nothing more than a tool and to used correctly it requires training like any other tool requires. firearms are not a life skill, as I do use and carry one, as do my wife and 10 year old daughter.

Learn to read: LEARNING how to use one is a life skill. If you are placed in a situation where you must use a gun, then knowing how to use one beforehand obviously helps.

However, anybody can tell you that the best way to defend your life in that situation is to not give the perpetrator a reason to use violence. Most people who break into homes just want the $... they're not looking for a murder sentence. And if you do happen to shoot the perp, remember that perps have friends too...

Old 10-27-2010, 01:26 AM

516 posts, read 375,819 times
Liberals should absolutely not own firearms. It goes against everything that makes them lefties. Guns are for grown-ups.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Learn to read: LEARNING how to use one is a life skill. If you are placed in a situation where you must use a gun, then knowing how to use one beforehand obviously helps.

However, anybody can tell you that the best way to defend your life in that situation is to not give the perpetrator a reason to use violence. Most people who break into homes just want the $... they're not looking for a murder sentence. And if you do happen to shoot the perp, remember that perps have friends too...

it doesnt matter, if you do not have the will or backbone to pull the trigger on a perp reaking into your home, then it wont happen no matter if you own a firearm or a tank.

using a firearm takes some skill, but not as much as it takes to drive a car. I have been shooting and using firearms since age 5 and have taught my daughter and wife the same way as I was taught.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:

Good, I'll shoot his homeboys too. I've got four years of military training that could be put to good use ridding society of its dead weight.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
it doesnt matter, if you do not have the will or backbone to pull the trigger on a perp reaking into your home, then it wont happen no matter if you own a firearm or a tank.

using a firearm takes some skill, but not as much as it takes to drive a car. I have been shooting and using firearms since age 5 and have taught my daughter and wife the same way as I was taught.

What does backbone have to do with anything I'm talking about? You could be Jack Bauer for all I care and that aint gonna save you when the shells start flying. All it takes is one in the right place and there goes however many years of training you had.

And most people who buy guns for self defense think that the act of purchasing the gun itself is the important part... Unless your front porch is an outpost, I doubt the perp is going to use his ESP to figure out that you're packing and the next door neighbor isn't.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:

What does backbone have to do with anything I'm talking about? You could be Jack Bauer for all I care and that aint gonna save you when the shells start flying. All it takes is one in the right place and there goes however many years of training you had.

And most people who buy guns for self defense think that the act of purchasing the gun itself is the important part... Unless your front porch is an outpost, I doubt the perp is going to use his ESP to figure out that you're packing and the next door neighbor isn't.
I think he'd get the idea once he had a hole or two in his chest.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I think he'd get the idea once he had a hole or two in his chest.

This is all under the assumption that you're already carrying a loaded weapon on you in your own home -which would honestly just be plain stupid - or that you have enough time to get to the gun before he gets to you, and that if either of the above two conditions are met that you're able to get the jump on him. If he already has a weapon drawn on you and you don't have your finger on the trigger, you lost. Game over. A lot of house break in victims get caught up in a superman/hero complex and they pay the price for it. I'm not saying that there aren't sick ****s who will shoot you regardless of whether you cooperate or not. They just don't happen to make up most criminals, particularly burglars.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
This is all under the assumption that you're already carrying a loaded weapon on you in your own home -which would honestly just be plain stupid - or that you have enough time to get to the gun before he gets to you, and that if either of the above two conditions are met that you're able to get the jump on him. If he already has a weapon drawn on you and you don't have your finger on the trigger, you lost. Game over. A lot of house break in victims get caught up in a superman/hero complex and they pay the price for it. I'm not saying that there aren't sick ****s who will shoot you regardless of whether you cooperate or not. They just don't happen to make up most criminals, particularly burglars.

Yeah, so let's all just give up and lie on our backs as we cower in fear because something...anything...might go wrong.
No thanks. With a firearm, the odds tilt immeasurably in my favour. There's nothing "superman/hero" about it. That's liberal nonsense-talk.
You can roll over and allow your house to be cleaned out while you beg the invader not to harm you. That's not my choice.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:

I always carry a firearm in my home, and my wife does too. it doesnt do any good to own a firearm and have it tucked away in the gun locker.

when the wife and I go to bed, there is more than 1 firearm lying close by for just in case, and our bedroom and our daughters room is locked when we go to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies