Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I know this is going to seem harsh for some. But no I do not support this kinda law. While being a bully is terrible. To try and regulate people like this is uncalled for

Plus I worry that it will create people that are soft. You've got to learn to handle problems. Kinda like handing out trophies to everyone that plays. I dont agree with that either.

Parents need to get back to being involved with raising their children. Teach them this is wrong but also teach people to be strong within themselves. This is the result of not parenting in my opinion
then why do adults have laws for personal protection? no one has answered that. at least you are an adult and stronger than a child, don't be so wimpy, alright?

also, you need to differentiate different forms of bullying. physical assault should be against the law. at least by middle school age, they ARE old enough to know what they are doing. i don't buy the excuse they don't because by that age they do.

Quote:
Comparing who people employ vs what products someone sells?

"i can tell you are a dishonest person. you will try to pick, twist or do anything to make or discredit"

Nice personal attack, you have no argument, you cannot counter my points, so you insult me.

no doubt, you are a liberal.
i did counter your nonsensical point. btw, for someone who is so flippant about bullying, you sure are a hypocrite regarding any slight to yourself. very interesting.

let me explain this as simply as possible though i know you were purposely being obtuse. hooters is a franchise that has a gimmick. it is based on "hooters" and men don't have them. do you understand? you are taking things out of context and grasping at any possible straw.

Quote:
keep on showing off that liberal tolerance, do you have any more insults for me because I dare to have a different opinion than you do?
this thread is very revealing. you are awfully sensitive about any or even slight or perceived insult to you yet you have the position that people should just be allowed to do as they wish. that's very contradictory to your position. amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:50 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
and you continue to purposely gloss over and deceive. we all know that life is not perfect or that bad things happen. that is not the issue. just because that exists, doesn't mean we just allow it to happen which is basically what you are advocating.

but i wonder, if someone were to break into your house or murdered a family member or if someone harassed you on this board even, if you would use the protections and rules in 'your' favor. don't need to answer as it's a foregone conclusion. lol

Considering he/she didn't report you for your personal attack, I guess the answer is he/she is able to deal with it and move on. I got an infraction yesterday for saying someone was shallow. Come on...really??? People need to buck up a little bit.

If all the social programs being pushed down the throats of our kids at school aren't preventing this why would some new law? Maybe parents should be allowed to have a say in the lives of their own kids again, teach them that there will always be bad people and we need to strive to be better people. remember that with the new age...give EVERY kid a trophy attitude...the bullies are getting trophys too. They have no impetus to improve, they are already rewarded.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Is it any wonder why society continues to be so rotten? Some think that harassment is a good character builder.
It's part of life, it always has been. How will a law stop a personality trait?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Considering he/she didn't report you for your personal attack, I guess the answer is he/she is able to deal with it and move on. I got an infraction yesterday for saying someone was shallow. Come on...really??? People need to buck up a little bit.

If all the social programs being pushed down the throats of our kids at school aren't preventing this why would some new law? Maybe parents should be allowed to have a say in the lives of their own kids again, teach them that there will always be bad people and we need to strive to be better people. remember that with the new age...give EVERY kid a trophy attitude...the bullies are getting trophys too. They have no impetus to improve, they are already rewarded.
unbelievable. i already addressed this in a previous post which is bullying is not the same as disagreement or even insults.

there has to be some realism and practicality.

it's about extremes. it's called common sense.

Quote:
It's part of life, it always has been. How will a law stop a personality trait?
it's about penalties for actions, not one's personality. and no, you can't excuse actions which are against the law by saying it's a part of or outcome of your inner traits or personality.

this thread and most of the responses is just surreal.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:58 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
unbelievable. i already addressed this in a previous post which is bullying is not the same as disagreement or even insults.

there has to be some realism and practicality.

it's about extremes. it's called common sense.
So insulting a gay person isn't bullying them, or do you have qualification to your rule? Insulting certain people is bullying, but insulting others is not?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
then why do adults have laws for personal protection? no one has answered that. at least you are an adult and stronger than a child, don't be so wimpy, alright?

also, you need to differentiate different forms of bullying. physical assault should be against the law. at least by middle school age, they ARE old enough to know what they are doing. i don't buy the excuse they don't because by that age they do.

i did counter your nonsensical point. btw, for someone who is so flippant about bullying, you sure are a hypocrite regarding any slight to yourself. very interesting.

let me explain this as simply as possible though i know you were purposely being obtuse. hooters is a franchise that has a gimmick. it is based on "hooters" and men don't have them. do you understand? you are taking things out of context and grasping at any possible straw.

this thread is very revealing. you are awfully sensitive about any or even slight or perceived insult to you yet you have the position that people should just be allowed to do as they wish. that's very contradictory to your position. amazing.
What laws do we have for protection? We should have laws that no one can assault another person. I dont know any law that says you cant prank someone or you cant tease someone. I would also like to think adults are past that behavior.

Many children have grown up with bullies and are fine. It teaches you character but you need parents to teach you how to handle it.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
What laws do we have for protection? We should have laws that no one can assault another person. I dont know any law that says you cant prank someone or you cant tease someone. I would also like to think adults are past that behavior.

Many children have grown up with bullies and are fine. It teaches you character but you need parents to teach you how to handle it.

parents? Parents teach?

in 2010?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:02 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
I know this is going to seem harsh for some. But no I do not support this kinda law. While being a bully is terrible. To try and regulate people like this is uncalled for

Plus I worry that it will create people that are soft. You've got to learn to handle problems. Kinda like handing out trophies to everyone that plays. I dont agree with that either.

Parents need to get back to being involved with raising their children. Teach them this is wrong but also teach people to be strong within themselves. This is the result of not parenting in my opinion
Agreed. Sadly, our children are now being coddled to such an extent that they will lack adequate coping skills as adults. A few years ago, my son’s school instituted a policy prohibiting teachers from using red pens to mark incorrect answers on tests, because they didn’t want to “traumatize” the students. Mind you, this was at the high school level.

While I certainly don’t condone bullying, I don’t believe enacting a law is the answer. If a child is physically attacked, it is then considered assault and battery, not simple bullying. We already have laws to protect against that.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed. Sadly, our children are now being coddled to such an extent that they will lack adequate coping skills as adults. A few years ago, my son’s school instituted a policy prohibiting teachers from using red pens to mark incorrect answers on tests, because they didn’t want to “traumatize” the students. Mind you, this was at the high school level.

While I certainly don’t condone bullying, I don’t believe enacting a law is the answer. If a child is physically attacked, it is then considered assault and battery, not simple bullying. We already have laws to protect against that.

When I finished up elementary school in 1986, it was about the time where they were trying to get rid of competitive sports at that age level, the "everybody wins!" stuff, taking away any and all competitive advantage had just started.. Fortunately that didn't happen in high school. We were allowed to have teams that were allowed to win games.. But I cannot imagine what's going on in elementary schools where they can only play games where there are no losers.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
So insulting a gay person isn't bullying them, or do you have qualification to your rule? Insulting certain people is bullying, but insulting others is not?
if you disagree with it, that is not bullying. if you stalk them to harass them about it, then that is bullying.

Quote:
I dont know any law that says you cant prank someone or you cant tease someone.
excuse me, i never said that. it's clear in the previous posts, i made a differentiation. these responses are very cognitive dissonance. but i find it dishonest to just pool every type of assault under 'bullying' and pretending it's just all a prank or just some teasing when bullying can include stalking and many forms of physical assault.

i am done with this subject. the responses are amazingly surreal like i'm in the twilight zone. the level of cognitive dissonance, twisting and dishonesty is something one can't argue with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies