Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,143 times

Advertisements

I'm sure he's not on a luxury vacation, but the timing is suspect. He should be here to bolster his party and offer reassurance that the government will continue to run and things will not fall apart. Why can't Hillary go there instead? I know we're not privy to the inner workings of things, but she is the Secretary of State. Whatever, we need a leader right now to help us come together as a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM

516 posts, read 376,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Whatever, we need a leader right now to help us come together as a country.
Well, it sure ain't obama, is it?

Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
So let's say it's not $200 million per day but half of that..$100 million/day which is $1 billion over the 10 days. It is a presidential trip and he is bringing 3000 people and they have booked the entire Taj hotel.

That's a great boon to the economy of India. Money spent directly into the economy..hotels, restaurants, shops, transportation. India must be overjoyed at that. Their economy is projected to grow at over 9% this year and this billion or two US spending spree just may push them up to 10%.

It's great how the US can spend to help other countries, especially India with all the services they provide us. The Dems should be proud to see how America isn't afraid to spend money to help the India economy grow.

Why after that India trip they should all go over to China for 10 days and help their economy.

How better to bolster friendship with the two countries you rely on the most for your existence ?

We owe so much anyway so what's another billion or two that leaves the US shores to be spent in other countries ?

Last edited by HappyTexan; 11-02-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I'm sure he's not on a luxury vacation, but the timing is suspect. He should be here to bolster his party and offer reassurance that the government will continue to run and things will not fall apart. Why can't Hillary go there instead? I know we're not privy to the inner workings of things, but she is the Secretary of State.
Do you think he shoved Hillary out of the way and said "No, I get to go to Mumbai"?
[Obama will] aim at boosting defense ties between Washington and New Delhi. Intense lobbying for contracts worth billions of dollars to replace the Russian-supplied military hardware is expected during the visit. India is offering an approximately $30 billion defense procurement plan.
Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and "snippet" only.

Defense ties to dominate Obama's India visit - International Business Times

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-02-2010 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-02-2010, 04:07 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,987 times
Most American's get frequent flyer miles.

O will likely get frequent dollar spending bucks.

When he gets back, the Fed will have paid for the trip with some paper they're printing..........

Old 11-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC1 View Post
Well, it sure ain't obama, is it?
You got that right!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
It will cost alot, more than a normal trip given 3000 people and heightened security.
Do you think they are all going to stay at Motel 6 and eat at Denny's ?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It will cost alot, more than a normal trip given 3000 people and heightened security.
Do you think they are all going to stay at Motel 6 and eat at Denny's ?
No, they think they're special.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM

Who's looking out for TOTUS? Hope nothing happens to him/her/it. Talk about a disaster!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,854,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh yes.. if the press can be bought by government then how can you trust what they are saying to be true?

Ahh yeah.. whats your point?

Arent you the one that said the cost to the story (i.e. millions) is the same as the cost to the wars (i.e. billions)?
Bold: Reporters will report what they want to report and won't be influenced by outside sources unless they want to be. I don't know if this is what it is specifically called but I call it selective reporting. Also it isn't a law or anything that says government officials can't bring reporters on trips (correct me if I'm wrong) so get over it.

Actually he compared the cost in the story (200 million per day) as being more than the wars (per DAY combined) not the whole cost of all the wars to-date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies