Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hey, Punk have you seen this story about Olbermann? It seems he is on the outside looking in and maybe for some time. I nearly died laughing at the headline.

MSNBC suspends Olbermann over political contributions | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101105/bs_yblog_upshot/msnbc-suspends-olbermann-over-political-contributions - broken link)
Quote:
MSNBC already attracted criticism this week for having its liberal hosts and commentators anchor election night coverage. Typically, nonpartisan journalists anchor major news events—such as election results—while commentators like Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) or James Carville (CNN) offer analysis.
And boy oh boy, did people notice how pathetically partisan ad biased they were.

The REAL journalist at NBC wanted NOTHING to do with this bunch - they have put a black smear on the whole organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They did endorse him and do have gushers like Alter constantly singing his praises.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/24/op...ewanted=1&_r=1

Barack Obama for President

Published: October 23, 2008

New York Times endorses Obama for president | Reuters

New York Times endorses Obama for president

You mean you didn't KNOW this?

Yes, page 30, right under the great big headline that says, "Opinion and Op Eds"

Also note that they also endorsed McCain in the Republican primaries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/25/op...dent&st=Search

In neither case did the NY Times say or its authors say, We wish you to get out and vote for X, and I'm giving 2400 dollars to show my support and you should do the same.

Papers have been endorsing candidates since there were papers, but what Fox did was openly campaign for them and on their behalf and if you can't see the difference, then so be it.

I mean for petes sake, MSNBC censured one of their own personnel for violating a generally held journalistic standard. Fox boasted about it.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I just watched the video over on the "were not a political operation" thread, and it isn't even so much that Hannity gave the money, its that the guy gushed openly and overtly a political endorsement and campaign fund raiser.

I do not know what the laws are regarding this sort of thing, but even if legal, then I don't see how anyone can possibly consider Fox to be news. I could hear the outrage now if the NY Times ran a front page ad saying "Elect Obama in 2012" and then ran two pages of gushing praise from Johnathon Alter on why every American should vote for the guy.
Hasn't the al Times run that article yet? Give them just a bit of time and they surely will.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Yes, page 30, right under the great big headline that says, "Opinion and Op Eds"
And Sean Hannity is an opinion show on Fox as well..
Quote:
In neither case did the NY Times say or its authors say, We wish you to get out and vote for X, and I'm giving 2400 dollars to show my support and you should do the same.
Neither did Fox.
Quote:
Papers have been endorsing candidates since there were papers, but what Fox did was openly campaign for them and on their behalf and if you can't see the difference, then so be it.
And again, dont pretend like you didnt see similar actions taken on behalf of Obama.. Oprah come to mind? They both are commentator shows..
Quote:
I mean for petes sake, MSNBC censured one of their own personnel for violating a generally held journalistic standard. Fox boasted about it.
And many conservatives posted that they didnt see a problem with Olberman donating to his candidates either.. He doesnt run a news show, neither does Hannity..

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:

Yes, papers have been endorsing candidates for ages and surely you must realize the NYT did it's best in 2008 to get obama elected, either by spiking, ignoring or suppressing stories about him.

Obviously Fox doesn't have a problem with their opinion personalities engaging in such behavior. If you don't have a problem with newspapers endorsing and rooting for a candidate, why would you have a problem with an opinion personality doing the same thing?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And Sean Hannity is an opinion show on Fox as well..

Neither did Fox.

And again, dont pretend like you didnt see similar actions taken on behalf of Obama.. Oprah come to mind? They both are commentator shows..

And many conservatives posted that they didnt see a problem with Olberman donating to his candidates either.. He doesnt run a news show, neither does Hannity..
As I pointed out elsewhere, I am of the opinion that any organization calling itself "news" should not be permitted to do what Hannity did. The fact that there are commentators on the right who think Keith Olbermann shouldn't have been censured only reinforces my assertion that they are not news but political outlets for political parties.

Now we can say that Hannity or Olbermann are opinionist, pundits or commentators espousing their own opinions on news channels that set aside "commentary time" but the thin veil that is held between news and commentary is so thin it is difficult to distinguish. I know it, but for the vast bulk of masses out there, where one ends and the other begins isn't so obvious. You know as well as I do that you get some of our younger posters or those not as politically in-tuned and can't make these distinctions until others point it out.

I do see a problem with what Olbermann did and I disagree with those who think it was wrong. Whether they are some "technically news or not" matters not to me because both are ran on stations/channels that say, MSNBC News or Fox News.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
As I pointed out elsewhere, I am of the opinion that any organization calling itself "news" should not be permitted to do what Hannity did. The fact that there are commentators on the right who think Keith Olbermann shouldn't have been censured only reinforces my assertion that they are not news but political outlets for political parties.

Now we can say that Hannity or Olbermann are opinionist, pundits or commentators espousing their own opinions on news channels that set aside "commentary time" but the thin veil that is held between news and commentary is so thin it is difficult to distinguish. I know it, but for the vast bulk of masses out there, where one ends and the other begins isn't so obvious. You know as well as I do that you get some of our younger posters or those not as politically in-tuned and can't make these distinctions until others point it out.

I do see a problem with what Olbermann did and I disagree with those who think it was wrong. Whether they are some "technically news or not" matters not to me because both are ran on stations/channels that say, MSNBC News or Fox News.
Hannitys show isnt called The Hannity News Hour.. He's not a journalists, he's not a reporter, he doesnt report on news.

Yes there is a big difference between news reporters, who report the news, and commentators, who discusses the news and reports an opinion.

For example, I've never once watched "News" on tv and had the reporter sit down with guests and hold a conversation. They report news, they jump from one story to the next, giving you facts as fast as they can, and moves on. Hannity discusses events, he has guests, they have a monalogue.. News and Hannity, couldnt possibly be confused by anyone who has watched his show.

I consider the Hannity show very similar to Oprah, where they both have guests and discuss topics. If I recall, Oprah very openly supported Obama.. No one had a problems with that, but now that Hannity is doing it.. we get all of this outrage..

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
News and Hannity, couldnt possibly be confused by anyone who has watched his show.
Look at the url address

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more (http://w - broken link) ww.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/index.html

fox news.com on-air / hannity

No one could possibly mistake Hannity as not being a commentator.

To some joe bloe retiree that is still using webtv, yeah I think it is pretty clear.

Also note the main Hannity page is shown at fox under "news" and not "opinion", which is in the fine print on another page.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Look at the url address

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more (http://w - broken link) ww.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/index.html

fox news.com on-air / hannity

No one could possibly mistake Hannity as not being a commentator.

To some joe bloe retiree that is still using webtv, yeah I think it is pretty clear.

Also note the main Hannity page is shown at fox under "news" and not "opinion", which is in the fine print on another page.
His about me page says he's a political commentator.. That he does interviews etc.. What more do you need?

But CNN also runs similar shows, are you going to tell me that Larry King is a news reporter?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 AM

289 posts, read 311,401 times
Quote:
Hannity discusses events, he has guests, they have a monalogue..
This statement is so unintentionally accurate it made me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies