Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 AM

379 posts, read 211,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
interesting.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD360 View Post
Actually I thought this thread was about Marco Rubio being the man the Democrats "fear the most"..........????? Don't see Obama's name in the thread title anywhere.
So, you're assuming Obama won't be the Dem candidate for 2012? good!

Quote:
So, you're saying that it is more important what Rubio does during his Senate term than his being "hispanic" as far as his being the man "Democrats fear the most"?
Yes.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, you're assuming Obama won't be the Dem candidate for 2012? good!

Yes.
Don't put words in my mouth and don't make assumptions about what I think. If you'll look at the thread title, we're talking about Rubio. Are you trying to change the subject of the thread?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth and don't make assumptions about what I think. If you'll look at the thread title, we're talking about Rubio. Are you trying to change the subject of the thread?
It's odd that you believe a discussion of Democrats (in the thread title) and the 2012 presidential election would not include discussion of a Dem candidate.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How nice that you are so concerned with better lives for children when you wouldn't blink an eye at health coverage being taken away from them or their families. Where does he stand on the issues? Isn't that the important thing?
I voted for him b/c his beliefs match up with mine. Very simple.

What children are you referring to? The ones who are on their parents' policies right now who are going to get dropped when those parents can't afford their insurance anymore due to your wonderful healthcare law? Our insurance has gone up 20% ALREADY.

Also, I would say that the Cubans are kind of a different story than say, the Mexicans who sneak across the border illegally. We allowed them to come here in the 1960s and 1970s because Castro came to power and aligned himself with the former Soviet Union. Obviously that's not a good situation for anyone, the people staying in Cuba would have given Castro more power and that's not something the U.S. wanted when nukes are involved. And considering that Cuba is like 90 miles from the tip of Florida, it makes sense that they would come here for refuge. Those Cubans have become productive members of society b/c they KNOW what they left and they KNOW what America has given them. My father came here when he was a kid in the 1960s, legally, with his family, and served in our army and worked for the post office for 40 years. That's just my example. Rubio's parents and Rubio himself are more examples.

And don't start talking about how Rubio is involved in some scandal...name one politician who isn't, R or D!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
He could switch to Democrat if it benefits him in the long run. Rubio watches out for one person and that is Rubio. He certainly did not mind stomping on his fellow Republican to get into the Senate. He could have waited 2 years and took Bill Nelson on instead of stabbing Crist in the back. There are probably a fair amount of Republicans that are going to remember that when they deal with Rubio. He cannot be trusted.
Are you honestly saying that Crist is a Republican? He hasn't been for quite some time. He's a flip flopper. Rubio stepped on no one's toes. Crist did himself in and has been on a downward liberal spiral for several years.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Let me clarify the race debate here. There are several ways to look at the race of Hispanics. I would say I'm white because I was not raised in Cuban culture. If I was, I would say I'm Cuban, Latina or Hispanic depending on who I'm talking to. Spanish is reserved for people from Spain, FYI. But for all intents and purposes, I'm white, I act white, I hang out with white people and live in a white neighborhood.

Anyway, on many forms, there are not just "white" and "black" for choices. Many say "white, non-hispanic," in which case I have to check "hispanic" or whatever. Usually there's a separate check list for the different kinds of hispanic ethnicities in addition to the race check list.

All that being said, because of the fact that Rubio strongly identifies with his Cuban heritage, I do not consider him to be white. I consider him Cuban or Cuban-American.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
interesting.........
I also knew this firsthand, having been born and raised in Miami

Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
I also knew this firsthand, having been born and raised in Miami
And you would understand why Rubio would be insulted if he were aware that someone thought of him as NOT "white.".............and you would understand why Rubio just might not find himself the "darling" of all or most Latino voters.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Let me clarify the race debate here. There are several ways to look at the race of Hispanics. I would say I'm white because I was not raised in Cuban culture. If I was, I would say I'm Cuban, Latina or Hispanic depending on who I'm talking to. Spanish is reserved for people from Spain, FYI. But for all intents and purposes, I'm white, I act white, I hang out with white people and live in a white neighborhood.

Anyway, on many forms, there are not just "white" and "black" for choices. Many say "white, non-hispanic," in which case I have to check "hispanic" or whatever. Usually there's a separate check list for the different kinds of hispanic ethnicities in addition to the race check list.

All that being said, because of the fact that Rubio strongly identifies with his Cuban heritage, I do not consider him to be white. I consider him Cuban or Cuban-American.
I wonder if Rubio and his beautiful wife consider HIM to be "white." Something tells me that, yes, they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies