Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Speaking of reading and/or listening, has anyone ever told you that costs were projected to go down? Seriously, have you spent any time looking at the Law?
No one said costs would go down. Instead they said premiums would go down. One person, in particular, went public saying premiums would go down 3000% if the bill was passed.

I've posted that video many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:02 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,174,351 times
Default again -

Quote:
Individuals ins premiums have gone up 147% in the last 10 yrs. Is that the "few percentage points" to which you refer? 2011 the average will be about 10%.
Lets go over mathematics. 147% over 10 years.

Is the 147% of the total cost of what insurance was 10 years ago, or is that amount actually 14.7% a year for 10 years?

Now for the real #'s.

Health insurance costs rise far more than inflation - Sep. 15, 2009

That report was in Sept of last year, and shows that health insurance costs actually have only gone up 8.7% a year over the last 10 years, so now the question that comes to mind, where did you get YOUR data?

The truth is, the average health insurance policy is due to go up app 14.4% this year, some little as 3%, some as much as 50%, or even more.

Anthem Blue Cross dramatically raising rates for Californians with individual health policies - Los Angeles Times

Rate Hikes Of As Much As 20+ Percent Approved For State's Largest Health Insurer - Connecticut Insurance

Kicked In The Groin: Health Insurance Companies Are Dramatically Increasing Premiums Due To The New Health Care Law And There Is Not Much We Can Do About It

Increase approved for individual Blue Cross health insurance policies | StarNewsOnline.com

And even with the White House investigating these increases, they are going to happen. The White house threatens that these insrance companies will not be able to take part in "insurance pools". These companies don't WANT to be a part, and some of the doctors I have spoken with say they won't accept the "insurance pool", insurance, requiring anyone a part of that to pay up front, and then get re-imbursed by their insurance. That way the customer can wait 6-10 months for their money.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Lets go over mathematics. 147% over 10 years.

Is the 147% of the total cost of what insurance was 10 years ago, or is that amount actually 14.7% a year for 10 years?

Now for the real #'s.

Health insurance costs rise far more than inflation - Sep. 15, 2009

That report was in Sept of last year, and shows that health insurance costs actually have only gone up 8.7% a year over the last 10 years, so now the question that comes to mind, where did you get YOUR data?

The truth is, the average health insurance policy is due to go up app 14.4% this year, some little as 3%, some as much as 50%, or even more.

Anthem Blue Cross dramatically raising rates for Californians with individual health policies - Los Angeles Times

Rate Hikes Of As Much As 20+ Percent Approved For State's Largest Health Insurer - Connecticut Insurance

Kicked In The Groin: Health Insurance Companies Are Dramatically Increasing Premiums Due To The New Health Care Law And There Is Not Much We Can Do About It

Increase approved for individual Blue Cross health insurance policies | StarNewsOnline.com

And even with the White House investigating these increases, they are going to happen. The White house threatens that these insrance companies will not be able to take part in "insurance pools". These companies don't WANT to be a part, and some of the doctors I have spoken with say they won't accept the "insurance pool", insurance, requiring anyone a part of that to pay up front, and then get re-imbursed by their insurance. That way the customer can wait 6-10 months for their money.
147% is what the employees portion of the premiums increased. Employers have been shifting the premium responsibility more to the employees for quite a while. There is no reason to believe they will not continue to do that. The actual premiums the Ins Cos charge, have been going up in at an annual rate nearer what you provide. The premiums will rise with the rising costs that the Ins Cos encounter, that certainly isn't going to change.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,599,035 times
President Obama did not go far enough by eliminating corporate for-profit health insurance altogether. The corporate scammers will always find ways to make profits off of healthcare, no matter how sick or at death's door we are, so the only thing to do is to make the corporate wealthcare companies totally illegal, like all other Western Civilized Democracies do!

HR676 Medicare for ALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVfa6ao4Zmc

Old 11-12-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No one said costs would go down. Instead they said premiums would go down. One person, in particular, went public saying premiums would go down 3000% if the bill was passed.

I've posted that video many times.
You know full well 3000 was misread. Also, he said that in reference to what people would have to come out of their pocket with, for their portion of the premium, not that the premium would go down. So, in regards to your posts about what he was saying, quit lying.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,455,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Employers dont have to supply health insurance, it was a plan thought up by unions though.. Another Democratic idea to "help", when all it did was hurt...
Employer-sponsored health insurance plans dramatically expanded as a result of wage controls during World War II. The labor market was tight because of the increased demand for goods and decreased supply of workers during the war. Federally imposed wage and price controls prohibited manufacturers and other employers raising wages high enough to attract sufficient workers. When the War Labor Board declared that fringe benefits, such as sick leave and health insurance, did not count as wages for the purpose of wage controls, employers responded with significantly increased benefits.
Health insurance in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Were your rates going down the last few years? Mine sure weren't.
Quote:
Ins rates will rise, no surprise, they have been for quite some time.
I've had employer-based health insurance since 1974, and I think I'm right in saying that premiums went up every year since then ... if not every year, then darn close to it.

I guess I could play the blame game, and blame the annual increases in my health insurance premiums on Nixoncare, Fordcare, Cartercare, Reagancare ... oh - that's right - we haven't had anything close to national health care until this President, have we?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
Basically all one has to do is loo at the mandates i the bill to see that insurnace will go up. The unlimited lifetime max being unlimited alone means that it will and greatly cost employers to provide coverage. It allows tho for premumims to rise but the biggest rise will be i deductables;co-pays for visits and drugs plus hospitals satys. Comanies have to chnage because it effects thier abvilty to borrow as its considered a liabilty until a employeee dies.bascailly many now like my company are adotpig to be grandfathered under provisons of the bill and both my premiums and cost are going way up. It alos means that new hires will have to work until medicare because otherwise they can stay in the polll but the cost is entirely on them if they retire earleir than medicare.The just wait until 2017 when state cost take huge increse in cost to cover their portion of the 15 million forced into medicaid by the bill with no choice. Nelson(D) of nebraska was smart to get the exemption because its going to take huge revenue increases by states.Higher taxes and feees will be the result.Basically for companies with labor already 70% of cost we are liely to see them react has they have done in this recession by eliminating jobs.Any means of eliminating labor cost will be huge gains like automation and other technology to lower labor cost.

Last edited by texdav; 11-12-2010 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically all one has to do is loo at the mandates i the bill to see that insurnace will go up. The unlimited lifetime max being unlimited alone means that it will and greatly cost employers to provide coverage. It allows tho for premumims to rise but the biggest rise will be i deductables;co-pays for visits and drugs plus hospitals satys. Comanies have to chnage because it effects thier abvilty to borrow as its considered a liabilty until a employeee dies.bascailly many now like my company are adotpig to be grandfathered under provisons of the bill and both my premiums and cost are going way up. It alos means that new hires will have to work until medicare because otherwise they can stay in the polll but the cost is entirely on them if they retire earleir than medicare.The just wait until 2017 when state cost take huge increse in cost to cover their portion of the 15 million forced into medicaid by the bill with no choice. Nelson(D) of nebraska was smart to get the exemption because its going to take huge revenue increases by states.Higher taxes and feees will be the result.Basically for companies with labor already 70% of cost we are liely to see them react has they have done in this recession by eliminating jobs.Any means of eliminating labor cost will be huge gains like automation and other technology to lower labor cost.
Tex, Tex. Mandates will work to lower premiums, you know, more people and larger pools, etc. The Nelson deal was removed before the Law passed. The Medicaid expansion to States, will be funded by the Fed Govt until 2020, when the States will assume the costs of the expanded rolls. The idea is, the States will have time to fund the additional Medicaid people as they do the current people, by then. The rest is speculation you apparently heard somewhere. How much actually does happen and how Congress will deal with it, we just don't know, nor will we, until it happens, if it ever does.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
President Obama did not go far enough by eliminating corporate for-profit health insurance altogether. The corporate scammers will always find ways to make profits off of healthcare, no matter how sick or at death's door we are, so the only thing to do is to make the corporate wealthcare companies totally illegal, like all other Western Civilized Democracies do!

HR676 Medicare for ALL
Look..give it time. Corporations are firing Americans and offshoring the work. Estimates say over 16 million will become eligible for medicaid in 2011 under Obamacare.

Before you know it America will be on either medicaid or medicare.
See..you'll get your wish of universal healthcare.
Just don't cry when it takes 9 months to get a doctor appt 2 hours away..or even worse as that is what is happening today.

Medicaid managed care programs grow; so do issues - USATODAY.com

Old 11-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look..give it time. Corporations are firing Americans and offshoring the work. Estimates say over 16 million will become eligible for medicaid in 2011 under Obamacare.

Before you know it America will be on either medicaid or medicare.
See..you'll get your wish of universal healthcare.
Just don't cry when it takes 9 months to get a doctor appt 2 hours away..or even worse as that is what is happening today.

Medicaid managed care programs grow; so do issues - USATODAY.com
You really need to read you own reference, or listen to credible reporters. The new Law and the associated Medicaid expansion, won't begin until 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies