Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times

Advertisements

Seriously, if they couldn't beat McCain for the nomination in 2012 what makes them think they look any better to us now? In your opinion, is the Republican machine promoting/advancing a favored candidate to the media?

Don't settle. If the same tired old faces are presented to you in polls/surveys, pick OTHER. My inclination is, if Bill Kristol or Fred Barnes favors a particular candidate, or some old retired Republican comes out of the woodwork to bless some candidate, run away. They are an inside the beltway part of the machine and don't have our best interests at heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,873,563 times
Who else? The T-nuts? They were just a means to an end, nothing more.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,939 times
I've said it over and over in this forum, but if the Republicans want to beat Obama in 2012 they actually need to run a better candidate! It doesn't matter how much the incumbent disappoints if you don't have anyone legitimate to run against him (or her).

I keep hearing the R's talk about what a lame duck and sure-one-termer Obama is yet they certainly haven't presented anyone "better." If the R's rely on the candidates with "buzz" but no substance like O'Donnell and Palin then it will be President Obama until 2016.

Find some genuinely smart, thoughtful, leaders with real ideas and integrity in your party and start getting them out there NOW.

Last elections also-rans won't cut it.

I support our current President, I voted for him, if today was Voting Day 2012 I'd vote for him again....but he is far from perfect. If you want to convince this Democrat to vote him out in 2 years you better come up with someone demonstratively better.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:07 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I've said it over and over in this forum, but if the Republicans want to beat Obama in 2012 they actually need to run a better candidate! It doesn't matter how much the incumbent disappoints if you don't have anyone legitimate to run against him (or her).

I keep hearing the R's talk about what a lame duck and sure-one-termer Obama is yet they certainly haven't presented anyone "better." If the R's rely on the candidates with "buzz" but no substance like O'Donnell and Palin then it will be President Obama until 2016.

Find some genuinely smart, thoughtful, leaders with real ideas and integrity in your party and start getting them out there NOW.

Last elections also-rans won't cut it.

I support our current President, I voted for him, if today was Voting Day 2012 I'd vote for him again....but he is far from perfect. If you want to convince this Democrat to vote him out in 2 years you better come up with someone demonstratively better.
Psss. The election is 2 years away.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Psss. The election is 2 years away.
I'm clearly aware of that.

Do you think the R's don't need to start getting some potential candidates out there in front of voters yet? Really!?!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,329,632 times
I'm sure the Republicans on C-D and elsewhere take very seriously the advice of people who don't support Republicans and just voted for candidates that got overwhelmingly stomped.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Seriously, if they couldn't beat McCain for the nomination in 2012 what makes them think they look any better to us now? In your opinion, is the Republican machine promoting/advancing a favored candidate to the media?

Don't settle. If the same tired old faces are presented to you in polls/surveys, pick OTHER. My inclination is, if Bill Kristol or Fred Barnes favors a particular candidate, or some old retired Republican comes out of the woodwork to bless some candidate, run away. They are an inside the beltway part of the machine and don't have our best interests at heart.
The media isn't "pushing" anyone. It's the potential candidates themselves who use the media to test the waters, put out feelers, to see how the public reacts to their possibly running. Then there are the people who have books to sell and they get more sales and publicity for their books if they lead the public to believe they might run.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,329,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The media isn't "pushing" anyone. It's the potential candidates themselves who use the media to test the waters, put out feelers, to see how the public reacts to their possibly running. Then there are the people who have books to sell and they get more sales and publicity for their books if they lead the public to believe they might run.
It's a natural mistake for liberal democrats to make; they get their voting instructions from Oprah, The hags on 'The View' Olbermann...

Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
Of course they're pushing their favorite candidates, but they're doing it through front organizations and fellow travelers such as interest groups and Fox News who can give them access to the media and exposure.

Of all the prospective candidates you're hearing about: Palin, Pawlenty, Jindal, Romney...they are ALL GOP insiders who got where they are by playing ball with Karl Rove and his corporate money men.

Oh, sure...they'll say otherwise or present themselves as something new and fresh, but that's the same lie the GOP has used for decades. It's suprising that people still fall for it.

And, no, it's not too early to start identifying candidates. The early presidential primaries are only about 14 months away and if a candidate wants to offer his/her name in places like Iowa, they'd better be bulding an organization and raising money right now.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I'm sure the Republicans on C-D and elsewhere take very seriously the advice of people who don't support Republicans and just voted for candidates that got overwhelmingly stomped.
That's irrelevant to the discussion of 2012 Presidential candidates.

All I'm saying is that if you want to capitalize on Democrat's negative feelings about Obama (both real and imagined) then you better have someone genuinely BETTER for them to vote for. I'd think that at this point we'd start to see the GOP starting bring some folks to the forefront.

But if you want to run the usual suspects again, be my guest. I don't think any of last year's also-rans are going to do much for you this time around but what do I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies