Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 08:26 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well I think she's a good promoter of your state and I'll bet you get a bump in travel and tourism dollars because of her show.
Actually, Palin is a good "promoter" of Palin.

After reading some of these posts, one would think many people needed her to tell them how beautiful Alaska is. Do you people live on the moon? Why do you think environmentalists fight to keep Alaska as pristine as possible?

Gov. Palin, one of the GOP’s rising stars, has long been a vocal proponent of opening the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge for more drilling.
Palin Drone: McCain’s VP Pick Even More Bullish on Drilling - Environmental Capital - WSJ

So you see, "Sarah Palin's Alaska" if she had her political way, might not remain as beautiful.

Then there is this...
The Truth About Sarah Palin & Wildlife in Alaska
All facts about Sarah Palin are backed up by links to credible news sources.
This page was created by Alaskans and has been online since 2007- with updates.
Sarah Palin sues the federal government over listing polar bears as a threatened species.
http://www.grizzlybay.org/SarahPalinInfoPage.htm

Alaska is just a backdrop for her usual self-serving interests and bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 09:34 AM

63 posts, read 37,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Actually, Palin is a good "promoter" of Palin.

After reading some of these posts, one would think many people needed her to tell them how beautiful Alaska is. Do you people live on the moon? Why do you think environmentalists fight to keep Alaska as pristine as possible?

Gov. Palin, one of the GOP’s rising stars, has long been a vocal proponent of opening the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge for more drilling.
Palin Drone: McCain’s VP Pick Even More Bullish on Drilling - Environmental Capital - WSJ

So you see, "Sarah Palin's Alaska" if she had her political way, might not remain as beautiful.

Then there is this...
The Truth About Sarah Palin & Wildlife in Alaska
All facts about Sarah Palin are backed up by links to credible news sources.
This page was created by Alaskans and has been online since 2007- with updates.
Sarah Palin sues the federal government over listing polar bears as a threatened species.
The Truth about Sarah Palin and Wildlife in Alaska

Alaska is just a backdrop for her usual self-serving interests and bank account.
Any office, any time, she has my most enthusiastic vote. The more vitriol slung at her, the more I am convinced this is a winner in the very best meaning of the word.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:58 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

and I don't think that a zoom lense can be used in such a way to make the distance between the Palins and the bears seem less than it actually was.
It's easy and done all the time in photography/cinematography.

Perspective distortion (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This technique is especially used when directors want something to appear much more dangerous and dramatic than it really is.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:20 AM

276 posts, read 476,978 times
Just another reason to not own a TV.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A zoom lense could have been used to take close up shots of the bear but it doesn't explain why the Palins are way too close to it here:
A telephoto lenses is for more than just close-ups. Was she too close? I don't know, but you can't judge by a photo. More than likely, she was further away from shore than it appears since the camera boat has to be further away from her to avoid casting shadows and showing their wake in the video.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Maybe if it were Brenda Valentine, instead of Sarah Palin.

It is hilarious to see how shallow these accepting and loving liberals, have become.

It is rather entertaining to see the great lengths they will go to, just to discredit someone they absolutely hate. There is a long number of names, on the HATE list.
I don't think anyone hates Palin. I think she fits in fine showcasing Alaska.

It's having Palin be the showcase for America, that many have a problem with

So just enjoy the show

Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
It's easy and done all the time in photography/cinematography.

Perspective distortion (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This technique is especially used when directors want something to appear much more dangerous and dramatic than it really is.
Thanks for posting that.

If you pay close attention to the show, I thought they were pretty close at first and then there's one shot that quickly pans from the boat to the bear while zooming and you can see that they're really not that close at all. You just have to be able to pick up on those kind of subtleties to notice them in the first place.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I have no problem with Sarah Palin the woman, mother, wife, citizen, etc. She can go and raise her kids and do reality shows and speaking tours or whatever -- I have no issue with that.

What I have a problem with is Sarah Palin the politician. She has NO political knowledge, NO foreign policy experience (she didn't even know who the Prime Minister of Canada was, or that Quebec wasn't a country), NO debate skills and NO independent thinking abilities -- she just repeats far-right talking points and throws in some "gosh, golly, you betcha" for good measure. Sarah Palin the politician is CLUELESS. I think Bush II was one of the worst ever, but I'd rather invite him back for a third term than see Sarah Palin in the land's highest office. She would be a TERRIBLE president -- TERRIBLE.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Isn't it funny how times change. In the "old days" the two-faced repugs screamed against celebrities getting involved in politics and speaking out.......now they worship one. ...a really stupid one! Hypocrits with bad taste....

Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Isn't it funny how times change. In the "old days" the two-faced repugs screamed against celebrities getting involved in politics and speaking out.......now they worship one. ...a really stupid one! Hypocrits with bad taste....
Good point! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies