Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM

22 posts, read 21,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Randy, as a person who's paying no share of anything and living off of those of us who do you shouldn't be so quick to criticize others. What have you done to gain employment? Looked at working in different industries? Looked at moving or temporarily working offshore or overseas? What have you done?

Have you read all of my posts. I have been working as a sub, drawing unemployment only when I have no work.
When I was laid off in the 80's I relocated to Colorado until things improved. This time that is not a real option as I need to help my aging parents.
As part of Michigan's help of the unemployed there is a program called " No Worker Left Behind " which helps displaced workers with schooling to be retrained for another field. So I signed up, got approved only to be told the program is out of money. So much for no worker left behind.
Lite'en up. I'm doing the best I can. You folks make it sound like I draw unemployment as my new career.
Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,904 times
ran440, why are you so quick to respond when it involves raising taxes on your employer but you refuse to answer questions about how long you feel UE benefits should be extended?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran440 View Post
Have you read all of my posts. I have been working as a sub, drawing unemployment only when I have no work.
When I was laid off in the 80's I relocated to Colorado until things improved. This time that is not a real option as I need to help my aging parents.
As part of Michigan's help of the unemployed there is a program called " No Worker Left Behind " which helps displaced workers with schooling to be retrained for another field. So I signed up, got approved only to be told the program is out of money. So much for no worker left behind.
Lite'en up. I'm doing the best I can. You folks make it sound like I draw unemployment as my new career.
Randy
If it's not a new career then you must know that it can't go on forever, how long should you be able to draw UE benefits?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 21,401 times
Quote:
If it's not a new career then you must know that it can't go on forever, how long should you be able to draw UE benefits?

Backspace
That is a very good question. I have never drawn unemployment this long nor did I expect to. I would much rather be working.
Obviously there has to be an end.
I would prefer it not end before I find new employment, but only God knows when that will be.
Sorry I don't have a good answer to a ligament question.
Randy

Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,744,856 times
All of us can understand that times are hard & none of us want our taxes to rise,etc.
The fact remains that the problems of growing unemployment in this country needs to be addressed & as much as we cannot afford to have more taken from our pockets, we also cannot allow fellow Americans to do without the basics.
If the unemployed ALL suddenly have benefits stopped it will create an entirely different set of problems. Do we want that?
Have a little empathy.
It can happen to anyone & sometimes until it hits home there will be those who will get angry at people who have to collect as opposed to those who created these problems.
This is no longer a R or D issue either. They all better start working together.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ran440 View Post
Backspace
That is a very good question. I have never drawn unemployment this long nor did I expect to. I would much rather be working.
Obviously there has to be an end.
I would prefer it not end before I find new employment, but only God knows when that will be.
Sorry I don't have a good answer to a ligament question.
Randy
That's fine, do you understand that someone has to answer this question and then stick to the answer otherwise some people will make UE a full time career? We have people who call themselves 99 weekers who have been on UE for 99 weeks and want the feds to extend their benefits again. In my opinion there are some who may very well not be able to find a job but in my heart I believe that the majority of them can't find a job they like or feel is worthy of their labor. It's not that they can't find work, it's just that they're finding work that they feel is beneath them or they're holding out for a job just like they had before. At some point these people have to be forced to get out and take whatever work they can find because there is work out there.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
All of us can understand that times are hard & none of us want our taxes to rise,etc.
The fact remains that the problems of growing unemployment in this country needs to be addressed & as much as we cannot afford to have more taken from our pockets, we also cannot allow fellow Americans to do without the basics.
If the unemployed ALL suddenly have benefits stopped it will create an entirely different set of problems. Do we want that?
Have a little empathy.
It can happen to anyone & sometimes until it hits home there will be those who will get angry at people who have to collect as opposed to those who created these problems.
This is no longer a R or D issue either. They all better start working together.
This has nothing to do with empathy, people like myself aren't rich and we work hard to support our own families. I don't mind paying in so that someone who's in a hard spot can get temporary help but if that temp help lasts for 3 or 4 years we'll all end up broke and we'll all need help. I have a family to worry about just like ran440 does, my family is important just like his is and my family is my priority just like I'm sure his family is his priority.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,854,935 times
I know this stinks but you might have to get a couple jobs at places you wouldnt want to work.

We cant continue to pay out unemployment checks while we are doing nothing to bring back jobs to this country

Till good Ole America starts building things again. I fear this is our new norm. But that wont happen long as the left has this war on the rich and business. Who would want to come here with all the regulations and higher taxes the left wants.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with empathy, people like myself aren't rich and we work hard to support our own families. I don't mind paying in so that someone who's in a hard spot can get temporary help but if that temp help lasts for 3 or 4 years we'll all end up broke and we'll all need help. I have a family to worry about just like ran440 does, my family is important just like his is and my family is my priority just like I'm sure his family is his priority.
I understand where you are coming from but, the anger should be re-directed at those who created the problems & those who refuse to work together to repair them instead of those who are 'out of work'. They certainly have enough stress to deal with because most are a check away from being homeless or hungry.
We should all be screaming at our representatives to WORK on this ever growing problem.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I know this stinks but you might have to get a couple jobs at places you wouldnt want to work.

We cant continue to pay out unemployment checks while we are doing nothing to bring back jobs to this country

Till good Ole America starts building things again. I fear this is our new norm. But that wont happen long as the left has this war on the rich and business. Who would want to come here with all the regulations and higher taxes the left wants.
Jadex we can blame the left or the right or whoever. It doesn't change the fact that unless our politicians get off their asses & work together it will continue.
This is not a R or D issue as the people who are out of work can tell you.
It doesn't even no longer matter who is to blame (I believe both parties are equally guilty). We have to STOP allowing them to divide us as we are. As long as they can keep us divided, they get to rape us even further,right in front of our faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies