Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,818,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
If we don't buy into Darwinism, we can at least buy into Social Darwinism.
Of course that is the logical conclusion of Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. The idea of charity comes from religion and liberals don't want religion. Evolution doesn't mean favor the weak and dependent types, or the ill.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am a Christian conservative and my heart aches for the poor. I am struggling myself right now and I try to give at least 10% of my unemployment check to the poor. Jesus calls us to give to the poor. Although that is getting a lot harder lately. I hope I find a job soon so I can start giving more to my church and favorite charity.

I feel bad for the foster child who can't find a nice family to live with. Or the woman with three kids who narrowly escapes an abusive marriage with nothing but the clothes on their backs. The unemployed who can't even find a job at Burger King or the 55 year old laid off construction worker who can't even get an interview. The breast cancer victim who is struggling to pay the medical bills. I believe that these people shouldn't have to rely on the government, WE ALL should be helping them.

Many of the poor need a hand ups from the charity of others. Like, what is wrong with helping a 99er rebuild his or her resume or helping him or her obtain a job? We need to have barbeques for those in our community who can't pay their medical bills. We need to help the unemployed find jobs or provide shelter for the domestic violence victim. Foster children need nice families to adopt them. Some of the poor need help finding resources to help them obtain a GED, trade school, or college education. Some charities and churches already do these things, but more need to get involved.
It's true there are some actually poor people. You make some good points, a foster child needing a home isn't the one to blame for his situation. A woman with three kids and no ability to support them - that's not blameless, that's lack of ambition and planning.

Some of the unemployed are in a bad situation, not all. There are some who really would take any job at all, would grab the opportunity to work their way up again, but there are some who figure their old high paying job is coming back any day now - or any year now and refuse to consider lesser jobs.

And people with health conditions like cancer definitely deserve compassion.

We should all voluntarily contribute to fundraisers in their behalf.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:36 PM

9,897 posts, read 10,847,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
A common theme I see on these threads is that most city-data members basically hate poor people. They see poor people as lazy, worthless scumbags of no value.

They have little or no interest in helping poor people. Have very little empathy or compassion. And basically just want to ignore the issue.

What's up with that???

I'm pretty sure most of you all who hate poor people are Christians. You should probably go back and re-read some of Jesus' quotes about helping the poor.

I've been living away from the US for a while and I forgot about this American hatred for poor people. The coments on city-data on this topic are shocking to me after not hearing this kind of talk for so long.
bogus premise.......just another ignorant excuse to bash Christians, who give and do more to actually help poor people than the federal government ever could.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:55 PM

38,197 posts, read 22,280,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
On this I respectfully disagree. Most of those that I know who are poor are worried about providing the next meal for their kids or keeping the electric on, & couldn't possibly afford the funds it takes to just up & move.
I am talking about someone in particular who works 60hrs a week to support her kids & is barely making it.
Migration is a good idea but, it does take money that many just don't have.
Also, unless they are walking into a job, most can't take that chance.
i agree that it is tough to pack up and move, but if you make it your priority, then you can make it happen. We are a country full of people who not only traveled across state or county lines, they traveled to an entirely different country, and did not even speak the language.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,484,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
A common theme I see on these threads is that most city-data members basically hate poor people. They see poor people as lazy, worthless scumbags of no value.

They have little or no interest in helping poor people. Have very little empathy or compassion. And basically just want to ignore the issue.

What's up with that???

I'm pretty sure most of you all who hate poor people are Christians. You should probably go back and re-read some of Jesus' quotes about helping the poor.

I've been living away from the US for a while and I forgot about this American hatred for poor people. The coments on city-data on this topic are shocking to me after not hearing this kind of talk for so long.
TO THE O.P.

Americans give more money to charity, volunteer more, and give back more than any other nation.

The most charitable nation on the entire planet is the US.

You need to stay in whatever nation you've been living in, because you've been buying into the bigoted propaganda being spread around the world about Americans.

We don't need YOUR kind here anymore. Stay where you are.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,577,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Well right wingers are anti poor as you can se here very well on CD from their posts espcially the christian wing conservatives butt they are suckers for the rich.
Christians people are the most generous people on earth no one comes remotely close to their generosity.they put people like you to shame,that is the real reason you hate them so

Old 11-20-2010, 11:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,561,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's right. I would also add "totally useless."

After 5 decades of helping the "poor," the "poor" are still "poor."

What's up with that?

It is said that after Cortez landed in the New World, he burnt his ships. His crew were probably pretty angry that they couldn't return, but it did motivate them to survive here.

So why not eliminate HUD tomorrow?

What happen? Nothing. You think you'd suddenly have millions of "homeless" people? No way. They would just seek alternative housing arrangements.

What is so wrong about about a single welfare mother with 3 children sharing an apartment with another single welfare mother with 2 children?

Nothing. In fact, it fact it looks like the excuse of not having child care would be resolved.

And all data on the "poor" is false and erroneous.

For example, you have a welfare mother living in HUD housing, and she's living with a guy who works a job earning $10 to $18 hour.

The laws unfortunately do not require her to report his income, although they certainly should since she benefits from that.

So here you have a situation where the rent is paid by the tax payers, the heating and electric and water and sewage and garbage collection is paid for by the tax payers. The food is provided by the tax payers. Extra food is provided through WIC by the tax payers. Health insurance via Medicaid is provided by the tax payers. And then cash assistance via a General Fund or ADC is provided by the tax payers.

The guy living there gets free rent, free utilities and free food. All he has to do is pay his health insurance.

Now who wants to ask a stupid question like why do you always see Cadillac Escalades and Lexus parked outside?

Well, if I had $1600 to $3000 in pure disposable income I might be driving a Lexus too.

Next time there's a Census, sign up and work, and volunteer for the HUD housing areas (you'll probably be stuck there anyway since those are the areas with the lowest responses), and just maybe you'll see the truth for once.

I'm an atheist.

I don't recall Jesus saying, "Turn homelessness into a $60 Billion/year industry so people can make lots of money off of the 'homeless'" or "Set up a system that allows landlords to charge $1250/month for an apartment that rents on the free market for $350/month" or "Create a system that devalues and destroys families."
Er..............where did you get the information you stated, which I highlighted in red? I am disabled and live in HUD funded housing, and I am required by law to report every penny of my income, from ANY source.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,429,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic. First of all, it's called integrity. You might want to look it up. And if you think that the better life is "free", you're kidding yourself. Someone's paying for that "free" life, even if it's not you.

I prefer being able to look in the mirror and saying "I'm not a leach on society".
I just couldnt resist after reading Malmutes sorrowful lament in post 185
Should have added that he put in some overtime as Xmas is coming and those unemployed living the good life might need some extra spending money
Just kidding around..
I've always preferred working to not working in my life and have never really encountered people being better off unemployed than employed.
That said on those few occasions in my life where i collected unemployment benefits between jobs i had no problems with my self esteem,integrity or looking myself in the mirror every morning..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So if all the people in your neighborhood are living a better life than you by not working and seem to be getting everything they need for free,including Air conditioning
Satellite TV
Dishwasher
Full shopping carts
To name a few, whats up with you playing the village pauper?
Is your personal honor and integrity the only thing keeping you from raising your standard of living and becoming unemployed?.
Something is definitely wrong with some ones thinking if you can have the choice of a better life for free and you choose to live a lower standard of life by working for a living.
At least thats the impression you give in your post.
I do have a lower standard of living - and definitely much less food than most of the poor have.

I prefer to work for a living. I really don't want to lay around all day watching cable or satellite tv like the poor do.

Still - it's pretty obvious that the definition of "poor in America" is a joke. These people want for nothing. They live very high on the hog, have all the material comforts they could possibly want. They're "poor" because they can't buy $200 shoes instead of $100 shoes, or they can buy steak and lobster to eat at home but can't have it eating out every night. Or they couldn't take a European cruise - although I'm sure many poor Americans managed to do that.

Sorry but people having more than enough food to eat (way more than enough), air conditioners, dishwashers, cell phones, cable tv, nice cars to drive and so on might be the "poor" in the USA but what a joke.

Poor in the USA today just means someone else pays for all your needs and luxuries.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Some people might lump me into this category and nothing could be farther from the truth.

I do not hate poor people.

I hate people who are capable of working and abuse the system because they are lazy.

Social services are good when they are used for their intended purpose. To help people get over a "rough patch". They are not designed to subsidize people who do not WANT to work.

Yes, there are truly DISABLED people (people with MS and cancer and who have been involved in terrible accdients, etc.) who cannot work, and I do not mind supporting these people with my tax dollars.

However, disability payments are HORRIBLY abused in this country. There are thousands - HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people on disability, welfare, food stamps, etc. who are perfectly capable of holding down a job. But they REFUSE to do anything.

I live in an area where this is especially true. I see perfectly healthy people abusing the system every single day and I DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THEM. I feel that they are stealing from me and every other tax-paying citizen out there.

If people cannot work, that is one thing. But if they WILL NOT WORK, then they have no sympathy from me and they do NOT deserve to have government hand-outs.

20yrsinBranson
I live in a "poor" area also, one where the welfare class has many more children than the working class. You see all kinds of able-bodied people here on government handouts. Unemployment rates aren't the problem the recession never hit this part of the country.

When you see welfare mothers on their 4th or 5th pregnancy, it's pretty obvious they are able-bodied, they just don't want to work for a living. While working mothers get 6 weeks of maternity leave, for the non-working it's a lifetime of government handouts.

You can find working people who are much sicker than many on disability. People who are terminally ill still managing to get up and get into work - their work ethic is that strong.

I had a co-worker who had lung cancer, worked the night shift, and she would head into chemo after work, sleep while being infused, and then go home, make dinner for her kids and husband, help with homework and head back into work. I know a guy who had a liver transplant who hardly missed a day of work, he showed up, no matter how anemic, how orange in color he was.

What makes the big difference in people? Why are some able-bodied so willing to live their lives on welfare handouts, disability checks when they obviously could work? And others will drag themselves into work when they are worse off in health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies