Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Based upon our almost well off needing a school for their children?
I was speaking about getting quality schools into areas that need them the most; inner cities.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I was speaking about getting quality schools into areas that need them the most; inner cities.
How about accountability? Should they have to give back the money they steal when they go out of business in a few months? Should anyone be watching what they do with the money? Should the students have to take the same tests and meet the same standards as public schools?

Because those things aren't happening right now at thousands of Holy Charter Schools and Sacred Voucher Private Schools.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
How about accountability? Should they have to give back the money they steal when they go out of business in a few months? Should anyone be watching what they do with the money? Should the students have to take the same tests and meet the same standards as public schools?

Because those things aren't happening right now at thousands of Holy Charter Schools and Sacred Voucher Private Schools.
You are absolutely right. If any of that occurs they should be prosecuted. And yes, the standards in general should be a bit higher for charter schools because theoretically the children are receiving a better education. See, we can agree

Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

The government will treat them fairly..however they handed Solyandra and their loans, accountability and payback is how the government operates.

The USG has a very low bar..so low that we got the ditch witch working overtime.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Like reporters are "experts" on education ?

Studies with data gathered over years is more valid then "reports of the real world".
Exactly. I posted a link to a longitudinal study. I expect jmqueen to do the same. Hasn't done so.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Oh my god.

I don't care WHAT studies say. If the FACTS -- test scores, budgets and school closures -- are that these schools are failing students, failing parents and stealing taxpayer money, you want to keep doing the same old thing because a study says they might be awesome?

[shakes head hard.]

The stupid. It hurts.
You really need to see the TREND OVER TIME which is what studies produce.

PISA scores, for example, show that the US has been declining every year since they started testing.
Folks in the US like to discredit PISA though.

Progressives have been running education for a number of decades now.
There's nothing to be done to change it.

I don't care what your "real world" news articles state.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM

Education has been "reformed" how many times now ?
And with each new reform we sink lower and lower.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why is it that liberals always assume academic and intellectual superiority? I can guarantee you that I have more education, and almost certainly a higher IQ, yet I am a conservative. I guess it is probably because I used to be poor and have seen the destructive and ill advised policies of liberalism by "well meaning" practitioners.

I must say truthfully that I have never in my life encountered a liberal personally who was smarter or better educated than me. I have met many conservatives (many of my college and med school profs) who were much more intelligent and had far superior academic credentials. I have, however, met many, many liberals who thought they were intelligent, but were not.
Liberals think they are smarter and are more than willing to tell you so. They may have degrees hanging out of their nether regions and so what. They are lacking in a lot of other knowledge gleaned outside of academia. I see it on a regular basis as I have family members who are liberal.
Though we were all raised by the same military soldier who was a veteran and very conservative, my brother and I don't understand my "learned" sisters; 1 is an artist and the other 2 are teachers.
I am educated and worked in the space industry. My brother owns his own construction company and does very well for himself, better than the rest combined.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:23 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
LOL, are you one of these guys who's so smart, you only believe in theory instead of reality, too?
What theory? The Harvard study I posted was longitudinal. It recorded students' achievements over many years. It IS reality.

I'm going to guess you have no idea what a longitudinal study is.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Clearly.

That's why intelligent people can't discuss things with RWNJ.

Theory beats reality every time in your world. And you guys think you can run the country.
Those studies and test scores are not THEORY.

Data gathered from past through present.
Those are actual test scores.

Your 'reality' seems to be one set of test scores reported by a news agency which is no reality at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies