Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Of course the numbers are not good. Its called a recession for a reason. But you and your buddy Sanrene are the ones that keep making it a left v right issue which it is not. It is an economic issue. This has been a bad recession. But things are slowly getting better. While that doesn't help you if you are unemployed right now, nevertheless, the trend is one of improvement.
Technically, the recession ended in June 2009. This is now the obamanomics reality. HIS policies are causing fear and uncertainty in business and consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
They were mistaken to pump in $700 billion into shovel ready projects which they now admit did not exist. They were mistaken to move forward with healthcare reform which damaged the economy and took the focus off job creation. They are wrong in attempting to raise taxes during a recession. There have been many missteps. And the fact you can't recognize them belies your stake of the "middle ground".
Being in the middle ground means that you recognize that the administration has tried its best to deal with a situation that is very difficult to manage successfully. Certainly there were things that I didn't agree with and I don't agree with not extending the Bush tax cuts (see my comments on the relevant threads). But sometimes in a Democracy you get things you don't really like.

When I look around, I don't see either party coming out with policy alternatives that are radically different from what Obama - and Bush before him - have tried. That is why this isn't a right v left situation. The economy is what it is and the solutions transcend party politics. That is why we get a lot of noise out of the extremists on both sides but very little of substance.

You talk about "devastating" and "disaster". But you rhetoric is wholly negative ... merely a point scoring exercise.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:48 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Technically, the recession ended in June 2009. This is now the obamanomics reality. HIS policies are causing fear and uncertainty in business and consumers.
The numbers were "pushed" a lot of the stimulus money was spent buying GDP in those things used to tell how the economy is going to be doing. Leading economic indicators. Also the birth death model was used and is still being used to understate our unemployment rate. What we need is more consumer spending and for that we need more consumer income. The consumers are maxed out on debt.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Being in the middle ground means that you recognize that the administration has tried its best to deal with a situation that is very difficult to manage successfully. Certainly there were things that I didn't agree with and I don't agree with not extending the Bush tax cuts (see my comments on the relevant threads). But sometimes in a Democracy you get things you don't really like.

When I look around, I don't see either party coming out with policy alternatives that are radically different from what Obama - and Bush before him - have tried. That is why this isn't a right v left situation. The economy is what it is and the solutions transcend party politics. That is why we get a lot of noise out of the extremists on both sides but very little of substance.

You talk about "devastating" and "disaster". But you rhetoric is wholly negative ... merely a point scoring exercise.
Who said they didn't try their best? Their best was simply the wrong approach.

If you don't see other approaches it means you are not looking. Look up Paul Ryan's roadmap. Ignoring the fact that the numbers released today are devastating is to ignore reality.

You no more occupy the middle ground than anyone else on this thread. Scoring points? I had no idea we were keeping score, where can I look it up? I have no interest in attacking any ideas other than those that do not work and I have no interest in providing cover for those who continue to pursue policies that fail.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 AM

915 posts, read 1,191,263 times
I don't want to know what will happen when the retailers will lay off their seasonal workers...
Probably hit 10% unemployment.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
PS-

Seasonal hiring is higher this time of year. Retailers hire more help for the Christmas season.
Do you have any stats?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:34 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you have any stats?
Actually they didn't : Why didn't Retailers Hire ?

There was widespread weakness in the November jobs report with state and local government, factories and construction firms cutting positions, but the biggest surprise came from a decline in retail jobs.

Amid expectations of a better holiday season this year, economists were expecting retailers to ramp up hiring. But the Labor Department reported that on a seasonally adjusted basis the economy shed 28,000 retail jobs. The decline could be the result of retailers getting more sales growth from the Web, or a desire to do more with less in the face of squeezed margins.

WSJ.com

Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,133 times
Not sure why anyone thought it was going down. Its going up and it is around 15% or higher. Its horrible out there now for many.

The lies spread are fooling people.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The economy stabilized all on it's own, before one dime of stimulus was ever spent.
Stimulus, was a state government bailout and union payoff, nothing to the private sector.
Yes, just as the CBO predicted it would do, WITHOUT government intervention. The Failed Stimulus had nothing to do with stimulating the economy. It was just a long wish list of liberal pork barrel projects.

Quote:
Their IDEAS are wrong and when implemented make for ruinous policy.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So we are in our 2nd recession under the dems control of congress in 4 years.

Amazing some people cannot see his policies are the cause of this mess created by the dems and the failed stimulus.

Many businesses will not spend the money they have on hand in fear that Obama will steal it away from them.

Obama himself has caused fear in the economy through his miserable leadership, or lack of leadership.

I do see us hitting 10% soon. I thought we would not go above 8%. Guess he lied again or falsely gave us another one of his scam job moments.

Now whos fault will that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies