Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,740,305 times

Advertisements

I hear stories of senior citizens that will run up bar tabs on top-shelf liquor and food, but refuse to tip claiming they can't afford it because they are on a fixed income. Maybe grandpa should have passed on that last single-malt and instead tipped his bartender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 04:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,337,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Maybe if they warm their hands before grabbing your genitals, they will start getting tips.
Fuzzy mittens would be nice.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,313,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
fwiw Maccas and BK won't allow employees to accept tips - at MCD they direct you to the McDonalds House jar to make a donation.

The supermarkets I shop at also don't ALLOW employees to accept tips. Yes, I do know quite a few of the cashiers and they get a Xmas card (which IS allowed).

I TIP when I do because I WANT to - if you don't then that's YOUR privilege. Sorry you don't happen to have ongoing pleasant relationships with service staff <shrug>
That's a weak excuse. So you aren't tipping employees at McDonalds and Burger King because their employees are not allowed to accept tips. Uh huh, I'm sure that's the reason that stopped you. And I'm sure if you offered the cashier at the supermarket a tip, he or she would refuse it every time. And those were only two examples, there are hundreds of more examples I could provide and their companies don't prevent their employees from accepting tips and you don't tip them. For example, when you went Christmas shopping, did you tip the department store sales clerks who helped you? I don't recall these department stores as having policies preventing sales clerks from receiving tips. Oh, they receive commission, but don't the Starbucks employees receive wages and benefits?

The question is why do you want to tip certain professions but not others that also provide service?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,849,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's a weak excuse. So you aren't tipping employees at McDonalds and Burger King because their employees are not allowed to accept tips. Uh huh, I'm sure that's the reason that stopped you. And I'm sure if you offered the cashier at the supermarket a tip, he or she would refuse it every time. And those were only two examples, there are hundreds of more examples I could provide and their companies don't prevent their employees from accepting tips and you don't tip them.

The question is why do you want to tip certain professions but not others that also provide service?
My question is why the hell do you care who I tip or don't tip?

Look after your own life and I'll look after mine and we'll both be happy, yah?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,014,873 times
I tip for good service. People at McDonald's and Burger King do not get tips because it's against company policy. I will tip someone at Starbucks for being pleasant and "simply" stirring up a drink. Regardless of whether Starbucks pays minimum wage or not, I understand that it is nearly impossible to live off a Starbucks wage.

If a tip jar is out or if a tip line is on a receipt, I will leave a tip for good service. I make a good living, but I understand the struggle of trying to put yourself through college or paying your rent on near-minimum wage scraps.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:57 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
I think some of us are just being old and ornery, and I for one am proud of that. There never used to be such a ridiculous thing as putting a "tip jar" on the counter of a shop before, but then six or seven years ago somebody gets a brilliant idea to do that and everyone else jumps on the bandwagon. You are supposed to give them extra money JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A JAR?????

Some of us remember when the people behind the counter could actually add and subtract and calculate tax without a computer and knew how to count back change. As a matter of fact, some of us once WERE those people ourselves. Now I bring a coupon for free fries with the purchase of a sandwich into Wendy's and it so blows the mind of the doofus behind the counter that he runs and hides in the back and someone else has to take the order. I'm not making this up, and it happened TWICE at the same Wendy's. Then they can't get the "to stay" or "to go" part of the order right 50 percent of the time.
Now there is a pizza place I go to sometimes and pick up a slice or something for lunch. The woman behind the counter is always pleasant. She appears to actually remember me every time I come in, says, hello, says please, and thank you and you're welcome (not "no prob") and corrects the problem when the doofuses (doofi?) putting the food together can't get the "to go" part of the order straight. (I realize that having two possibilities--to stay or to go--can be extremely confusing to some, but I have a tolerance issue over that. There is no way people can possibly be that stupid, so I can only conclude that they are pretending to be stupid, and that's just obnoxious.) I don't always throw a tip in the jar, but sometimes I will, just because this woman has made an effort to be a little more professional instead of jumping on the doofus bandwagon so popular these days.

Anyway, sarcasm aside for the moment, I think the reason some of us resent these new tip ideas is simply because they are new. Traditionally, wait staff and bartenders were tipped. Hairdressers were tipped. The guy who parks your car was tipped. People working behind a counter were never tipped, and it doesn't seem like a big difference when they do it between them and the guy outside their store standing there with the cardboard sign and the cup asking for money for a "bus ticket".

Old 12-27-2010, 08:09 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Exactly - writing in a zero with a line is what cc companies/banks recommend - would you leave the amount section of a check blank? come on already.

Having been brought up in a country where servers (etc) wages aren't subsidised by the customer I understand tipping those people, but no, I won't tip anyone that's getting paid over minimum unless their service is above and beyond (eg the coffee house barista that ALWAYS remembers my favourite order)

Does an office worker get a tip for helping you with your insurance coverage etc etc? I think not.

Yeah, if I do takeout/pickup, I've always just drawn a line through the tip line. Didn't think that'd be considered rude.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,846,096 times
I've never donated to anyone over the phone...like the cop associations who call every year....ever. I do give to the blind, because I have vision problems of my own, but I am not blind. I know that doesn't make much sense, but it does to me. I think I am blessed to be able to see, even if I have some problems. I also give to the Salvation Army during Xmas.

Ring that bell, and here's some change for the poor.

LightHouse | Donate

Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,087,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
The last one to tip the TSA got cuffed (Tip; you better not touch my junk!)

We went out for a Christmas breakfast and I left a 50% tip. Service was good and timely, and I figure if this lady was working on Christmas morning she MUST need some cash.
That's quite an assumption on your behalf.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 AM

131 posts, read 209,315 times
Most chain fast food employees will get in trouble if they accept a tip.

People working behind a counter don't EXPECT tips, but they definitely appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies