Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagbardCeline View Post
Most chain fast food employees will get in trouble if they accept a tip.

People working behind a counter don't EXPECT tips, but they definitely appreciate them.
How many people even offer them a tip or get to the point to which the fast food employee turns down the tip. I think it's safe to say the overwhelming majority of people don't consider tipping a fast food employee. The reason for people tipping Starbucks employees and not fast food employees has to do with custom and not logic. From a logical standpoint, it makes no sense why one would tip a Starbucks employee for making coffee and not tipping a McDonalds employee for doing the same. They are both paid wages and provide the same labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
I worked front desk at a hotel - front desk staff are NEVER tipped. Housekeepers and busboys, occasionally those tending the breakfast bar, but front desk NEVER and that's been policy in any hotel I've worked for.

Azriver you don't seem to be "getting it" here - people tip who and when and for what because they WANT to - end of story. They're not
really concerned with whether YOU agree with that or not. YOU are free to ignore any tip jars out at establishments where you prefer NOT to tip.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I worked front desk at a hotel - front desk staff are NEVER tipped. Housekeepers and busboys, occasionally those tending the breakfast bar, but front desk NEVER and that's been policy in any hotel I've worked for.

Azriver you don't seem to be "getting it" here - people tip who and when and for what because they WANT to - end of story. They're not
really concerned with whether YOU agree with that or not. YOU are free to ignore any tip jars out at establishments where you prefer NOT to tip.
You obviously don't get it. People tip out of custom not logic. If hotels started placing tip jars for the front desk staff, people like yourself would start leaving tips for them as well but wouldn't think to tip where a jar isn't present. The reason people don't tip at McDonalds, the cashier at Walmart and the grocery store is because a tip jar is not present and it's not customary to tip those employees. However, if a tip jar was present at those establishments, I guarantee people like yourself would start leaving them tips. And that is what is happening in our society, more establishments are pandering for tips and attempting to make it customary when it wasn't customary not that long ago. As stated previously, no one ever tipped when carrying out pizza because it was assumed if you are picking up pizza, you are doing the work to drive and pick it up. Now there are tip jars at pizza pick-up places.

It's nice to think "Well I only tip because I want to" Really? Well why don't you want to tip your cashier at Walmart who just rang up and bagged all your items? Are you suddenly heartless and inconsiderate of the Walmart employee, do you not value their service? Of course you don't think that way of the Walmart employee, you didn't leave a tip because it's not customary to tip them and there was no jar to leave them a tip otherwise you probably would have.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-28-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You obviously don't get it. People tip out of custom not logic. If hotels started placing tip jars for the front desk staff, people like yourself would start leaving tips for them as well but wouldn't think to tip where a jar isn't present. The reason people don't tip at McDonalds, the cashier at Walmart and the grocery store is because a tip jar is not present and it's not customary to tip those employees. However, if a tip jar was present at those establishments, I guarantee people like yourself would start leaving them tips. And that is what is happening in our society, more establishments are pandering for tips and attempting to make it customary when it wasn't customary not that long ago. As stated previously, no one ever tipped when carrying out pizza because it was assumed if you are picking up pizza, you are doing the work to drive and pick it up. Now there are tip jars at pizza pick-up places.

It's nice to think "Well I only tip because I want to" Really? Well why don't you want to tip your cashier at Walmart who just rang up and bagged all your items? Are you suddenly heartless and inconsiderate of the Walmart employee, do you not value their service? Of course you don't think that way of the Walmart employee, you didn't leave a tip because it's not customary to tip them and there was no jar to leave them a tip otherwise you probably would have.
Nope, I wouldn't. I wasn't brought up in this country so I haven't been brainwashed into believing anyone with their hand out or a tip jar is deserving of a tip. Sorry.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Did the person who packed your food also refill your drinks, ask if you need additional items and bring them to you, and clean up after you? Also, at many restaurants, the person who packs your food is not the same person who rings up your order at the register.
Exactly.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,247 times
What you do is you print up small slips of paper, fold them, and slip one into any tip cup you encounter (at a place where the establishment expects tipping for simply doing one's job, such as Starbucks).

The slips say something like,
"HERE's a tip: Tips are not for simply doing your job. Have a great day!"

or you could print your favorite Bible verse or Koran excerpt or "Peanuts" punchline or whatnot.
Have fun!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:40 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times
...and don't forget the days of the "tip jar" at the TSA airport security checkpoint at Boston Logan airport. If I hadn't seen it for myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
What you do is you print up small slips of paper, fold them, and slip one into any tip cup you encounter (at a place where the establishment expects tipping for simply doing one's job, such as Starbucks).

The slips say something like,
"HERE's a tip: Tips are not for simply doing your job. Have a great day!"

or you could print your favorite Bible verse or Koran excerpt or "Peanuts" punchline or whatnot.
Have fun!
ROFL!

"Thou shalt not kill." ....because when they read that, their gonna wanna kill someone.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,390 times
Counter people are not to be tipped for doing their job. If they do something extraordinary then it's fine but it should not be a regular thing.

Of course waiters and waitresses should get at least 18% just for having a pulse. If they are absolutely terrible then tell them you'd have tipped more and detail your reasons. NEVER withhold a tip from a server for something the kitchen screwed up. If the server is incompetent then ask for a different server. Ask to talk to the manager and let them know, politely, why you are dissatisfied.

Always tip the bellman, minimum of a dollar per bag upon arrival and departure, and a fiver at the very minimum.

Never tip your bartender in change! Tip at least a dollar a round for yourself and at least 20% of the total bill when buying a round for a group. Feel free to tip heavy! You will be rewarded. Bartenders have long memories. If some bartender refers to himself as a mixologist then leave and find a real bar. No self respecting bartender would ever call themselves a mixologist. That's for metro-sexual poseurs.

Never tip the owner of any establishment! So if you go to Moe's Barbershop and Moe takes care of you, you don't tip him.

In a hotel assume anyone who does a service for you ought to be tipped.
Chambermaids: $10 per person per night.
Door man, who often double as valet parking: $5 minimum anytime they take/deliver the car, or just if they're getting you the door.
Room service, one of life's little luxuries, typically add a gratuity so normally just sign.

Take especially good care of the concierge as they can work miracles. If they do anything for you at all then upon departure make sure you leave an envelope with at least a $50. In hotels that don't have a concierge, if you rely on the front desk person for more than check in and check out they deserve a tip.

There is a class system in any good hotel and people should be tipped according to their station, however, exceptional service always warrants an exceptional gratuity.

Last edited by ZGACK; 07-13-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
My favorite is the Frozen Yo up the street.

You fill up your cup. You put on the toppings. You carry it up to the cashier. You set it on the scale.

And there is a tip jar. Tipping people for doing nothing? They should tip me- I did the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies