Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times

Advertisements

I go back and forth, I think it would depend on the circumstances. Is the person mentally ill, is there DNA proof, was it a crime of passion or cold murder?

I think it would have to be not just beyond a reasonable doubt, since DNA, there have been too many people who were wrongfully convicted and now released. I don't think if I was on a jury I could vote the death penalty unless the proof was DNA and even then I would be hesitant. I don't think I could live with myself if it was later proved the person was inocent and had already been put to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloswan22 View Post
I believe and eye for an eye,providing there is no doubt that the person is actually guilty of the crime. The cost for us to house and inmate is outrageous as well as the court cost that the tax payers foot the bill for to defend them. If we start punishing the crimes accordingly,maybe the nations crime rates would fall.

The likelihood of getting caught, not the severity of punishment, deters crime.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
If somebody killed a family member - oh I'm sure I'd get the death penalty for sure after I killed THEM. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-12-2010, 06:45 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I am conflicted on this subject, if you knew someone who was murdered, and tortured, perhaps some of you would feel differently on this subject. I have know People who were murdered and tortured, and after they lay dead in a puddle of blood, there wallets, were taken, really nice people ha. I had to see the family suffer, the guilt, comes no matter what. A part of me wants to see them die now instantly, we have to house them anyways, and this cost money. There is a part of me who wants to see them suffer in jail, perhaps someone else might kill them. I am totally conflicted, i knew the people who were killed, it is something that you don't forget, and when your out, you will look over your shoulder. There is a part of me who wants to see them get life in jail, and rot in there, i honestly do not know, i have known 3 people who were killed, and it is not a pleasant phone call to receive, believe me.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
An eye for an eye - death.
Should rapists be raped? Should arsonists have their homes burned down?

Hell, why not just abandon all these centuries of advancement and go back to the Code of Hammurabi.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I often hear this statement/argument made, and always wonder what exactly it is based on. After looking in to it, everything I've seen basically indicates that it's the legal process that ends up more expensive in capital punishment cases - not the execution. So the way the system is, it's the lawyers and endless appeals that drive the cost up. Seems to me that the blanket statement above is only a half truth.
If we didn't have those appeals in place, more and more innocent people would be put to death. Several wrongfully-convicted, sentenced-to-death people have been exonerated after several unsuccessful appeals. Do you really want to put innocent lives at risk?

Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Personally, I think death penalties should be carried out in full view of the public. Right on Pay Forview and the proceeds given to the victims family.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I would not want to dishonor my loved one's memory by such a disgusting production.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?
Who knows, but as for the original question, whether or not the death penalty is "demanded" is a matter for the state, and ultimately a jury.

One thing for certain, I would never step foot in the courtroom.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Should rapists be raped? Should arsonists have their homes burned down?

Hell, why not just abandon all these centuries of advancement and go back to the Code of Hammurabi.
Why...yes, why not! Of course, coddling and empathy of child rapists always warms my heart.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,128,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am conflicted on this subject, if you knew someone who was murdered, and tortured, perhaps some of you would feel differently on this subject. I have know People who were murdered and tortured, and after they lay dead in a puddle of blood, there wallets, were taken, really nice people ha. I had to see the family suffer, the guilt, comes no matter what. A part of me wants to see them die now instantly, we have to house them anyways, and this cost money. There is a part of me who wants to see them suffer in jail, perhaps someone else might kill them. I am totally conflicted, i knew the people who were killed, it is something that you don't forget, and when your out, you will look over your shoulder. There is a part of me who wants to see them get life in jail, and rot in there, i honestly do not know, i have known 3 people who were killed, and it is not a pleasant phone call to receive, believe me.
I'm really sorry. *hugs*

Still, you have to understand the people who did that to your friends are broken. They probably weren't treated with love and care growing up, or if they were, have some kind of mental defect. It's not normal to kill people, I don't believe it's just something people choose to do one day. Wanting them to suffer would accomplish nothing, it's not going to bring your friends back unfortunately, I wish it could though. Of course they should be kept apart from open society though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies