Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Forgiveness is ideal but there are some lines a human being crosses that you can never come back from. Heinous beyond the pale. Charles Manson, John Wayne Gayce, Richard Ramirez, Richard Speck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i725FCBJIxA

I believe in these extremes the death penalty, or even death by cop, would actually be merciful because they're already dead. I already know many will disagree so I'll just let it go.
What if they're truly remorseful, and want to join the good side again? Shouldn't the door to the Light Side always be open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
I would demand Charles Bronson!!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Should rapists be raped? Should arsonists have their homes burned down?

Hell, why not just abandon all these centuries of advancement and go back to the Code of Hammurabi.
centuries of what advancement? that of coddling criminals? when someone is convicted of a crime such as rape, chances are very high that when they are released they will rape again, same with arsonists, child molesters, and in fact most other criminals. there was a time when criminals were sentenced to X number of years at hard labor, and even then when they got out they would re-offend. perhaps we should use some parts of islamic law where if one is caught stealing, they get their hand chopped off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I'm really sorry. *hugs*

Still, you have to understand the people who did that to your friends are broken. They probably weren't treated with love and care growing up, or if they were, have some kind of mental defect. It's not normal to kill people, I don't believe it's just something people choose to do one day. Wanting them to suffer would accomplish nothing, it's not going to bring your friends back unfortunately, I wish it could though. Of course they should be kept apart from open society though.
hogwash. the concept of right and wrong has been written into the hearts of the people since time began. we know that murder is wrong, same with other crimes. we cannot continue to coddle criminals if we are going to have any chance of eliminating criminal activity. granted there will always be the hardcore criminals with us, but when one commits a crime, they need to be punished for that crime. we cant feel their pain, or understand that they had a bad childhood, or what other excuse is made for criminal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. The family member is dead. Killing someone won't bring them back. I am sure that other person has a family too somewhere. Would you really want to make them suffer for his/her wrongdoing?
so you are suggesting that criminals not be punished?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as to the OP, if someone murdered a friend or a family member, they better pray that the cops get to them before i do.
I am a vindicative old cuss, so let me expand on this thought a little. In the event that a person that I loved was murdered, with no doubt whatsoever as to the killer, that killer would indeed be much more secure in police custody. If not, and were I to know where to encounter said felon, then the taxpayers would be spared a large financial burden, since there would be no costs required for a trial or incarceration expenses. There might, however, be a small expenditure required for burial procedures.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Quote:
centuries of what advancement? that of coddling criminals? when someone is convicted of a crime such as rape, chances are very high that when they are released they will rape again, same with arsonists, child molesters, and in fact most other criminals. there was a time when criminals were sentenced to X number of years at hard labor, and even then when they got out they would re-offend. perhaps we should use some parts of islamic law where if one is caught stealing, they get their hand chopped off.

hogwash. the concept of right and wrong has been written into the hearts of the people since time began. we know that murder is wrong, same with other crimes. we cannot continue to coddle criminals if we are going to have any chance of eliminating criminal activity. granted there will always be the hardcore criminals with us, but when one commits a crime, they need to be punished for that crime. we cant feel their pain, or understand that they had a bad childhood, or what other excuse is made for criminal activity.

so you are suggesting that criminals not be punished?
I am not suggesting that. But I am not going to argue the murder of people on here either. Obviously locking them up does not work and obviously the death penalty does not deter. I don't have an answer as to what to do with them and I admit that.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?

I've always been a total believer in forgiveness, I hate violence of all kinds, whether it's "justified" or not. Though I haven't had anyone close to me murdered, thank God, so I can't say for sure if I would forgive them. I hope I would though.
Just because someone is forgiven doesn't mean that they shouldn't be punished for their crimes. Forgiveness is more for the victims than the one that committed the crime.

The Bible teaches us to forgive, but it also teaches us that we're responsible for our own actions.

Two separate conversations.

If you murder someone, you have effectively given up your right to live. You had a choice and you made a bad one.

I'd like to think I could work towards forgiveness, but it would be incredibly hard. I pray that I never have to find out.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
I wonder how our resident patriots feel about posters advocating gulags and Islamic law?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
I would offer up my home as a sanctuary and attempt to rehabilitate the perp...and after my efforts fail, he/she could kill off the rest of the family.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?

I've always been a total believer in forgiveness, I hate violence of all kinds, whether it's "justified" or not. Though I haven't had anyone close to me murdered, thank God, so I can't say for sure if I would forgive them. I hope I would though.

no I would take them out myself..I have friends who would help me hide a body..I live in Colorado...so they would be well hidden..with no trace of them in the mountains..
A friend will help you move
A true friend will help you move a body..

Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
I am a vindicative old cuss, so let me expand on this thought a little. In the event that a person that I loved was murdered, with no doubt whatsoever as to the killer, that killer would indeed be much more secure in police custody. If not, and were I to know where to encounter said felon, then the taxpayers would be spared a large financial burden, since there would be no costs required for a trial or incarceration expenses. There might, however, be a small expenditure required for burial procedures.
heck i would even save on the burial expenses. all that would end up happening is people would wonder where george was because they havent seen him for a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies