Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

Yes, but only if the same testing would apply to police, fireman, all public workers, and especially politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Yes, but only if the same testing would apply to police, fireman, all public workers, and especially politicians.
I think it does except for politicians..Hmmm I wonder why politicians are exempt?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Why not just get the eff off of the backs of the poor??? Just because some of them collect some form of benefits, doesn't justify invading their privacy. As one poster pointed out, they could purchase clean urine anyhow, and avoid detection of illegal drugs in their urine.

Besides, ALL Americans are entitled to their privacy, regardless of the fact that some may be collecting benefits. And a policy like drug testing benefit recipients, would bring this country closer to the police state, that it's been drifting towards since the Bush years.

Also, I think that this excessive concern with those collecting benefits, smacks of thinly-veiled racism. I say this, because people of color, make-up a disproportionate number, of those who collect welfare and UI
benefits.
well what an argument you have Bush somehow gets the blame for everything so I feel this is a real waste of my time.
first the the majority of people collecting benefits is not "persons of color"
second collecting these benefits is not a entitlement although your LBJ great society has been interpreted that it is .

third when I have to go out and work why should the money the govt takes from me to give to your "less fortunate" be used to allow them to buy recreational drugs?
fourth if you want privacy go out and get a job and spend your money however you want

Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:

Nobody should be tested for drugs.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
third when I have to go out and work why should the money the govt takes from me to give to your "less fortunate" be used to allow them to buy recreational drugs?

So would you also prohibit them from spending money on other forms of recreation?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
well what an argument you have Bush somehow gets the blame for everything so I feel this is a real waste of my time.
first the the majority of people collecting benefits is not "persons of color"
second collecting these benefits is not a entitlement although your LBJ great society has been interpreted that it is .

fourth if you want privacy go out and get a job and spend your money however you want
First of all, watch your grammar! Second of all, your tax dollars may go towards things that you don't want it to. But NOBODY in America, gets to choose how their tax dollars are spent.

Thirdly, you can't assume that most people receiving benefits, are using recreational drugs. Even if they were, they could still purchase clean urine, and by-pass dectection for illegal drugs.

And what about the person on welfare and UI benefits, who wants to drink alcohol? Alcohol is a drug too, even though it's not illegal. So should we prevent those on welfare or UI benefits, from buying a beer, or having a glass of wine with dinner??

Lastly, the welfare and unemployment benefit rolls, are DISPROPORTIONATELY filled with minorities, even if they don't make up the majority of welfare and UI recipients, in raw numbers. And may I ad, that ALL Americans are entitled to their right to personal privacy, whether they have jobs or not.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
OK, now assume she loses her benefits due to a failed drug test. Who feeds the kids?
So a parent has no responsibility raising their kids outside of a government handout?

Yes on the drug test.

~ It's OK for my employer to mandate I get a blood test

~ It's OK for the police to stop me to see if I've been drinking and if I refuse I am forced to have a blood sample taken

But It's not OK to take a blood sample for welfare when it has been shown for decades that there are numerous welfare cheats?

Gimme a break

Old 01-06-2011, 05:25 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think it does except for politicians..Hmmm I wonder why politicians are exempt?
Cops and fireman do usually have to be tested, but not public workers... it depends on the city and specific job title, so it's not always a requirement. I've worked almost entirely in city/county jobs, and have never been subjected to a drug test.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ It's OK for my employer to mandate I get a blood test
That's because an employer is responsible for their employees, and held liable if anything goes wrong... if you steal they suffer financial loss, if you crash while making a delivery their insurance goes up, if a customer is attacked they get sued, etc. THEY have something at stake, which is why some (not all) employers choose to drug test their workers.

Quote:
~ It's OK for the police to stop me to see if I've been drinking and if I refuse I am forced to have a blood sample taken
And that is because you're putting other people's lives at risk... so this and the above example aren't directly related to receiving welfare, as they're essentially hurting nobody if they choose to waste their money. It might chap your butt a little, which I do understand, but in reality they only hurt themselves (drug-related violent crimes aside). I agree with cracking down on welfare abusers, but conducting nationwide drug testing is ineffective, expensive, and an invasion of privacy. Like it or not, people on welfare do still have constitutional rights - and they too are subject to testing in these scenarios you've mentioned.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-06-2011 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 AM

P.S. As it's already been mentioned, there are a myriad of ways to pass drug tests... so if people going on welfare know they'll be tested, it's unlikely they'd just say "okay" and pray it magically comes out clean. Instead they'll use any number of methods to pass, and we have thus accomplished nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies