Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

We just did our yearly tests.

I have to be tested to get money, why not them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We just did our yearly tests.

I have to be tested to get money, why not them???
/\
This.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
To keep this brief, alcohol is a perk in life, not a necessity. Someone being helped by other people should be focusing on necessities, and using them to get out of their current situation. I sure as hell want to buy top notch alcohol for myself too, but if I want to advance in life I know that money is better spent elsewhere. Why can't poor people think the same way. Middle class and rich people can buy all the alcohol or drugs they want, on their own dime.

And if people are using my anything, damn right I'm going to monitor it. Don't abuse it.
First of all, you're another poster who assumes that the poor, must be abusing drugs and alcohol. If they want to have a beer or glass of wine occassionally, why should they be denied that? That's not abuse anyhow. And I mention alcohol, because though it may be a LEGAL drug, it's still a drug too. And how do you know that they're NOT using at least some of their money, to get out of their situation?

With this economy, it's hard to move up, and get off of benefits. The poor need jobs, that pay liveable wages and salaries to get off, and stay off of benefits. Requiring mandatory drug tests for welfare and UI benefit recipients, won't help them get ahead in the world. It just invades their privacy, and wouldn't be effective, since they can buy clean urine, and avoid detection of illegal substances in their urine anyhow.

So those of you in favor of drug-testing welfare and UI benefit recipients, just can't grasp the concept, that it wouldn't work anyway!

Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
First of all, you're another poster who assumes that the poor, must be abusing drugs and alcohol. If they want to have a beer or glass of wine occassionally, why should they be denied that? That's not abuse anyhow. And I mention alcohol, because though it may be a LEGAL drug, it's still a drug too. And how do you know that they're NOT using at least some of their money, to get out of their situation?

With this economy, it's hard to move up, and get off of benefits. The poor need jobs, that pay liveable wages and salaries to get off, and stay off of benefits. Requiring mandatory drug tests for welfare and UI benefit recipients, won't help them get ahead in the world. It just invades their privacy, and wouldn't be effective, since they can buy clean urine, and avoid detection of illegal substances in their urine anyhow.

So those of you in favor of drug-testing welfare and UI benefit recipients, just can't grasp the concept, that it wouldn't work anyway!
Do you think MY privacy was not invade while I swat-ed over a cup while a nurse watched???

Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times
Quote:

No, I do not assume all poor abuse drugs and alcohol. But I do know that some do. My problem is with the ones that do. In fact its not even the alcohol thats hte problem as much as the other drugs, which are way more costly.

I don't get it, how does mandating welfare recipients need to take drug tests not help them get ahead. If they have a brain, they arent going to waste money on drugs and/or alcohol at the possibility of losing their assistance. THerefore they have money to put elsewhere, hopefully into savings.

Why wouldn't it work. You're on welfare, great, get ready for random drug screenings. Send them the letter and have them show up for their test. Simple, make it a law like jury duty. Can't make it after 3 attempts, etc, so long to any gov't help.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
So all this ragging about the poor being 'lazy, addicted to drugs and alcohol, being irresponsible, and spending their money on ANYTHING other than food and shelter', smacks of racism. It's a form of racism by association, since minorities are in fact, disproportionately poor, and receiving welfare and UI benefits.

:
so YOU THINK..that if someone is saying that since a signifigant percentage of poor people are lazy and addicted....you are saying that is racism

where do you get off lady

I dont care about color..sorry you are so hung up about it

the fact is that if 'poor' people want assistance (and there is NOTHING WRONG with needing a helping hand) then they SHOULD BY ALL RIGHTS, DO THE RIGHT THING and take the ASSISTANCE and the HELPING HAND and make it better for them selve

you dont need to be buying drugs, drinks, and smokes on the taxpayer dollar, you need to be paying your rent, going to school, finding a job.

soory you cant seem to grasp the truth

Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Requiring mandatory drug tests for welfare and UI benefit recipients, won't help them get ahead in the world. It just invades their privacy, and wouldn't be effective, since they can buy clean urine, and avoid detection of illegal substances in their urine anyhow.

funny I work for the government, and did also in my first career in the military too........and both have REQUIRED MANDITORY drug testing

tractor trailer drivers have MANDITORY testing under the DOT..also

you think its an invasion of privacy????

Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
No, I do not assume all poor abuse drugs and alcohol. But I do know that some do. My problem is with the ones that do. In fact its not even the alcohol thats hte problem as much as the other drugs, which are way more costly.

I don't get it, how does mandating welfare recipients need to take drug tests not help them get ahead. If they have a brain, they arent going to waste money on drugs and/or alcohol at the possibility of losing their assistance. THerefore they have money to put elsewhere, hopefully into savings.

Why wouldn't it work. You're on welfare, great, get ready for random drug screenings. Send them the letter and have them show up for their test. Simple, make it a law like jury duty. Can't make it after 3 attempts, etc, so long to any gov't help.
exactly

Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Quote:

As far as them spending any money for a beer now and then, that's not making them an alcoholic. But guess what, they get so little money on welfare, (and also unemployment benefits too), that they can't be expected to save enough of their benefits, to get ahead.

If they're on benefits in the first place, it's because they don't have jobs. In the case of UI benefit recipients especially, that's why they havce to collect. So until the economy turns around, and more jobs are created, UI and welfare recipients, will have to continue to collect benefits.

You're concerned about those that MIGHT be abusing drugs, while collecting welfare and UI benefits? Since they can just buy clean urine, it's not likely that this can be proven anyhow. So it won't work on either a practical level, or a legal level, since their 5th amendment rights would be violated.

The OP obviously didn't consider these things, when s/he created this thread. And neither do many of you posters. So it's pointless to keep debating a policy,that will likely never be adopted, and wouldn't work reliably, even if it was adopted.

Screening welfare and UI benefit recipients for drugs, is just a pipe-dream, for those of you who are obsessed with monitoring the poor!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
As far as them spending any money for a beer now and then, that's not making them an alcoholic. But guess what, they get so little money on welfare, (and also unemployment benefits too), that they can't be expected to save enough of their benefits, to get ahead.

If they're on benefits in the first place, it's because they don't have jobs. In the case of UI benefit recipients especially, that's why they havce to collect. So until the economy turns around, and more jobs are created, UI and welfare recipients, will have to continue to collect benefits.

You're concerned about those that MIGHT be abusing drugs, while collecting welfare and UI benefits? Since they can just buy clean urine, it's not likely that this can be proven anyhow. So it won't work on either on a practical level, or a legal level, since their 5th amendent rights would be violated.

The OP obviously didn't consider these things, when s/he created this thread. And neither do many of you posters. So it's pointless to keep debating a policy,that will probably never be adopted, and wouldn't work reliably, even if it was implemented.

Screening welfare and UI benefit recipients for drugs, is just a pipe-dream, for those of you who are obcessed with monitoring the poor!
I could not just buy clean urine.

A nurse watched.

BTW, a clean drug test will only help you get a job.

Over the years I have wanted to hire more than one guy that failed the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies