Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you boycott American companies who cater to Muslims?
Yes 18 32.14%
No 37 66.07%
Not sure 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 PM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Doesn't bother me at all as long but up to a point. It'd **** me off to no end if the stores stopped carrying pork and shellfish all of a sudden to 'pacify' Muslims, but religious Jews have similar prejudices against food (no pork and no shellfish)

Although, come to think of it there are some items in Asian diet that would raise hell, but formally would still be OK in the 'it's private enterprise' line of thought. Imagine if stores started carrying dog, cat meat, monkey brains, tiger testicles, live snakes, fried cockroaches, etc..., or a stoning kit, or live goats for a halal slaughter. There are obvious unspoken limits to 'free enterprise', although I'm sure one could make much money on the above items.

p.s. is there a burqa (headscarf) section at Walmart yet? Made in some festive colors at least, not just the spooky depressing black
I see more Muslim woman wearing colorful headscarves than I do seeing them just wearing black. Don't know if they buy them at Walmart, though, lol. Probably not, since most of them are in Manhattan, which doesn't have Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,195,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But you should be given the information that the meat was produced by a ritual religious slaughter.

You might think twice about buying that meat/meal.

I don't buy Halal anything due to the ritual prayer to Allah done during slaughter and the means of slaughter. Those are just my principals.

Advertise the meat is Halal and then people are free to choose.
Actually, I would prefer meat that is killed by ritual slaughter because it is much more humane from what I understand.

Just because someone prays to an imaginary being does not make any difference to me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-26-2010, 06:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,130,106 times
Gee and all this time I thought it was Un-American to notice a market to target for making larger profits and then to promptly ignore the possibility of expanding one's market share.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,724,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Naw, AUM is just anti-Walmart and other big companies.
I spend at least a couple hundred dollars at Walmart every month. You must have me confused with someone else.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Gee and all this time I thought it was Un-American to notice a market to target for making larger profits and then to promptly ignore the possibility of expanding one's market share.
When there are enough people to generate a profit, then companies will make a move.

They do demographic studies and projections.
So, assume the Muslim communities in the US are big enough that these companies will make their move.

It just signals that the Muslim communities are large enough across the US that products will change/be created for them.

Folks who want diversity and tolerance should be happy over this. Companies are changing their products in the name of diversity.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,326,823 times
Quote:
Just because someone prays to an imaginary being does not make any difference to me.

Me either. I've eaten many a meal after people have prayed to the Christian god and given thanks for it.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Me either. I've eaten many a meal after people have prayed to the Christian god and given thanks for it.
And likewise for those of us that want to choose, at least note it.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,130,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When there are enough people to generate a profit, then companies will make a move.
Surely you don't think that I need a grade school class in markets?

Quote:
They do demographic studies and projections.
So, assume the Muslim communities in the US are big enough that these companies will make their move.
Please tell me that you are using my post to preach to a wider audience. If not my only response is... Duh!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,481,948 times
Why do people complain so, we do have choices in our lives, you don't like something, you disagree with something, your against something, you don't frequent this store. So many grocerie stores these days have ethnic sections of the store, and also stores like Cost Plus, that have food imported from so many other Countries, if your against this, do not shop there. Simple as that. If not one person would shop at these stores, they would get the message. Maybe those in Power, should get tougher on the Muslim Front, they don't seem to care!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 AM

994 posts, read 1,684,529 times
How dare they sell Arabic pickled turnips or Lamoun Markbouss! I will not only boycott them but also boycott LEMONS AND TURNIPS or anything that resembles a turnip ( whatever that is??) and a lemon! /marches around in anger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies