Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,892,599 times

Advertisements

So the dangers posed by criminals that make people want a gun are overblown....

But we need more restrictions on guns and gun owners to stop more crimes happening?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
I hope you have the capacity to recognize satirical humor one day - it might help offset the paranoid thoughts of "er'body gettin' raped up in hurrr."

I fully support and respect your right to own a gun. You should fully support and respect my choice to not own a gun.

Besides, I already promised to eat my words when the slow-mo Bruckheimer armageddon sweeps down on my house in the burbs, and the red-vested commie Obamabots break down my door to steal my freedom. Duh.
Uhhh...

Miss, the problem ain't on my end. I tossed that out there to see if I could elicit a serious reply. Nope. You continued to make half-assed jokes complete with internet-speak. HERP-DERP. Don't you come cryin' to anyone when reality bites you in the ass. You asked for it.

It's your choice to not want a firearm. You can scream all day nothing is gonna happen to you. Unless you can predict the events every day up until to your death, you won't know squat. Really, is preparation hard? The dangers are there, and they're real. Humor isn't going to defuse squat.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,004,312 times
There are some 20,000 gun laws nation wide start enforcing them...get the bureaucrats out of their cubicles off their a$$e$ and out in the field. Notice it always takes a horrible event to hear all the rhetoric why more laws,regulations with another government agency that does nothing but infringe on the rights of honest law abiding citizens.You can take all the guns away and you will still have the same problem Man killing Man...and what then when some deranged soul wants to take yours ban all knives,ball bats or Ford pick-ups that are used as weapons? People are defective,flawed and could go insane after they purchased a gun how do you test or screen for future insanity?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,097,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
You can take all the guns away and you will still have the same problem Man killing Man.
No doubt. But probably not as efficiently.

Take away all the hammers and people will still build houses. But not as many or as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats
..and what then when some deranged soul wants to take yours ban all knives,ball bats or Ford pick-ups that are used as weapons?
I'm curious.... has there ever actually been an effort to "ban all knives,ball bats or Ford pick-ups?" I mean folks who would rather not even talk about the issue like to try and short stop the discussion by making such objections... but has it ever really happened?

And if not, could it be because there actually is a difference between guns and pick-up trucks? I know I have never mistaken one for the other. But perhaps I'm just extra observant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats
People are defective,flawed and could go insane after they purchased a gun how do you test or screen for future insanity?
Who said anything about screening for future insanity?

I'd be happy with screening for the insanity that is already here.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
There are some 20,000 gun laws nation wide start enforcing them...get the bureaucrats out of their cubicles off their a$$e$ and out in the field.
Yes, let's blame the "bureaucrats" because god forgive if we looked towards the NRA and their minions in Congress who do everything in the power to thwart even the most basic regulations.

Cases in point.

Philadelphia wants to institute a regulation limited handgun purchases to 1... That's ONE, per month. That is 12 per year! Why? Because the city fully realizes that when someone comes into buy 10-20 handguns at one time, those guns are slated for sale on the black market. Now I've stated that I am a gun owner, in fact I REALLY like guns, and I especially like handguns but if I had all the money in the world, I would be able to buy every handgun on my dream list in six months and probably not feel the need to buy another one for years. But to argue, as the NRA and their puppets in the state legislator such a restriction is an undue restriction on the right of self defense!?!?
State Rep. Jim Cox, a Spring Township Republican, said he would not support the one-handgun-per-month legislation because it chips away at gun owners’ rights and could lead to more drastic restrictions.

“I want people to have the sheer, unadulterated ability to defend themselves,” Cox said. “If they want to go out and buy 20 weapons to protect themselves because there has been a crime wave in their neighborhood, I don’t want to restrict them.”
Sheriff against effort to limit handgun sales

20 handguns to protect oneself, WTF is that about??? Unlike some action hero, I've found that I can land more rounds on target with ONE gun than two, and I have NEVER seen a SWAT team, Special Forces, or some Blackwater Yahoo trying to handle more than one gun at a time, be if for defense or offense. So who pray tell what civilian needs 20 guns to protect themselves from untrained urban criminals???

And puleeze spare me the slippery slope, the Nazis did this arguments.

Another example, gundealers who lose their license for flagrant and ongoing violation of National Firearms Act only to have them renewed through straw renewals by listing family members and employees as the new license holder.

For an excellent story on this issue I refer you to this Washington Post investigation:

Gun dealers often stay in business with new licenses after ATF shuts them down

Quote:
You can take all the guns away and you will still have the same problem Man killing Man...and what then when some deranged soul wants to take yours ban all knives,ball bats or Ford pick-ups that are used as weapons? People are defective,flawed and could go insane after they purchased a gun how do you test or screen for future insanity?
No one, at least no one with the power to do so is talking about taking anyone's guns away, if they were I would run to Kinkos to have my protest sign made! What we are talking about are getting the NRA and other zero sum obstructionist out of the way of enforcing existing regulations and allowing even the most reasonable regulations to plug the gaping holes that exist in those regulations.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,382,019 times
Report: Arizona Gunman Was Not Motivated By Politics - FoxNews.com

I know this will be hard to belive for some but, it is just what I belived all along.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,094,734 times
Quote:
ban all knives,ball bats or Ford pick-ups that are used as weapons?
Even in my old aged decrepitness, I still have a chance either out running or warding off an knife, baseball bat assailant who even if they catch me will in all likelihood wind up severely wounding me. But I have yet to meet a real life person who can out run or deflect a bullet, which has a higher probability of creating a fatal wound than any of the above.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,478,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
You've got to admit there is more insanity in this world today, its not 1850 anymore.

The street will always sell guns they don't care who they sell them too.
Yep, and the average person has the right to be able to defend him or herself to the same extent as the armed criminal members of society.

Quote:
If people would pull their heads out of their illusion that things should be their way and try to get along with others a lot of things would not happen in this country.
Yep, that and unicorns would help. Unfortunately the real world has other thoughts and opinions on how populations will have certain degenerates.

Quote:
What should be reported is someone buying excess ammo, I'm not talking about hunting season thats completely different.
So when I buy my normal 1,000-2,000 rounds of ammo at a time, that should be reported? To what end? People out there do this as a hobby and shoot thousands of rounds per year between practice, fun, and competition. And thats just amateurs.

Quote:
If these health insurance companies would help those with mental health problems as they should, instead of giving them med's and letting them go home without a complete evalution, they only pay 50% of mental health problems, people go to a doctor or whoever, they give them drugs and thats it. They don't want them in the hospital, they'd rather let them go home take the meds and maybe that will make them worse and turn to dangerous, and the medications for mental health are not cheap in any way.
Reminds me of the late 1800's, just throw all the crazies in a sanitorium and leave them to rot. Has nothing to do with insurance and everything to do with the civil liberties we all enjoy.

Quote:
Of course it was horrifying what he did, maybe the mental health industry will wake up, it always takes something like this to make people give a damn.
If someone snaps or has a problem and never gets help, who would you blame. Fact is we have 306,000,000 people or so in this country, and there are going to be incidences that cannot be forseen. Barring omnipotent beings coming down and forwarning us of problems, I don't see how we're going to stop every issue that arises.

Quote:
Maybe now we can dismiss McDonalds selling happy meals and wholesome foods for children in schools pro or con. There are more urgent matters that need full attention.
Doubtful, its for the children you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Most of you personal safety, nobody's gonna punk me, get them before they get you, types are in far greater likelihood of suffering a coronary arterial blockage from lack of exercise and a predilection for Pork Rinds. Getting struck by lightning is a close second statistically. Hunting, Assault/Military rifles have rather low (zero?) prominence in criminal activities. Even drug dealers prefer their firefights at close range with handguns. Effective gun legislation will focus on handguns exclusively. If you are ever able to make it to city-data to report that you were successfully able to defend yourself and yours with a firearm it is proof positive that your assailant made a critical error in judgment and/or aim and your success has little to do with your being armed and everything to do with dumb LUCK. I see no reason for all that steel to be wasted on statistical one in one millions. Lets have those guns so we can melt them down and make useful widgets with the iron. I'm only going to ask nicely once. After that, I'm going to sic Obama on y'all. Fear not. I will not leave you comfortless... for every gun that is turned in before the 12/12/12 deadline the bearer shall be issued two (2) Law Enforcement Grade TASER units with a voucher for user training. Have a nice day, citizen.
The 1 million or so people who defend themselves every year with a firearm would probably disagree with you. Your chances of getting hit by that lightning may be low, but you don't wander a field during a thunderstorm because its a bad idea. Similarly, being prepared in case something happens is a good idea, it is better to have and not need then to need and not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Report: Arizona Gunman Was Not Motivated By Politics - FoxNews.com

I know this will be hard to belive for some but, it is just what I belived all along.
A poster on the BU, a worker for a political campaign, and with government rhetoric on his youtube channel. Yeah, not buying that at all.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:51 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,004,312 times
WOW the hostility toward a simple view... we don't need more laws we need enforcement and for some of you have you seen someone shot stabbed or beaten with a ball bat? I have and it is something i wish never to see again.I am old too i remember when the signs said White Only and the violence i witnessed was racial hate back in the day.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,097,851 times
Quote:
WOW the hostility toward a simple view.
Let no irony go unsmelted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies