Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,907,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's what you get when lunatics brutally gun down people.
So sorry that you don't believe this should be up for discussion, you might change your mind if that was your 9 year old, or your father, husband, wife, etc.
The father of the dead girl doesn't think this should be used to further take away our freedoms....

Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,241,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am just holding up a mirror in front of you so you can see how stupid it looks to still be a handgun advocate.
You certainly have an interesting debate style. I will stupidly cling to my stupid belief in the right to keep and bear arms to keep the stupid government from taking the rest of my stupid rights away from me.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,546,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
I'm simply advocating for across-the-board strict rules for everyone because I think it should be challenging to obtain a lethal weapon.

I don't think imposing stricter gun regulations flies in the face of the 2nd amendment, although we could argue ourselves into the next government-mandated suburban takeover over constitutional semantics. I do think that a federal law, in addition to working gun owners into a wild-eyed, Exorcist-head-spinning lather, could arguably be at odds with the original 18th-century-pre-industrial-revolution wording of the amendment itself, but I don't see why we can't invoke stricter regulations at the state level - in all 50 states.

"A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device
to deny gun ownership to the people." Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

"This year will go down in history. For the first time,
a civilised nation has full gun registration!
Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient,
and the world will follow our lead into the future!" Adolf Hitler

"Gun registration is not enough. Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." Janet Reno

Quote:
I'm simply advocating for across-the-board strict rules for everyone because I think it should be challenging to obtain a lethal weapon.
I could kill a person with a pencil...are you advoxcating eliminating pencils too, because ANYTHING can be lethal

Quote:
but I think the 2nd amendment was written in the 18th century when our country was a fraction the size it is today, raids by roaming bandits were common, formal law inforcement was not yet in place in all states and territories, we were barely a decade into our independence from fading world power that usurped native populations and colonized at will with the cunning use of flags, and the world was reeling from this uber-modern thing called electricity. My neighborhood hasn't been raided by rogue indians ........
It is a natural right which the people have reserved to themselves, confirmed by the Bill of Rights, to keep arms for their own defence; and as Mr. Blackstone observes, it is to be made use of when the sanctions of society and law are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression.

as Alexander Hamilton explained in 1788:

If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.

There was an ongoing thought in the 1780s about "the people" fighting governmental tyranny .A widespread debate on the ratification of the Constitution, was the possibility of a military takeover of the states by the federal government, which could happen if the Congress passed laws prohibiting states from arming citizens, or prohibiting citizens from arming themselves.

They came first for the arms,
and I didn't speak up because I didnt own arms.

Then they came for the freespeech,
and I didn't speak up because I much of a talker.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM

32,832 posts, read 19,546,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am just holding up a mirror in front of you so you can see how stupid it looks to still be a handgun advocate.
stupid???

you could talk all the legal guns away from the law abiding citizens...guess what the criminals would still have the guns

do you really think guns laws do anything but hurt the law abiding citizen

gun laws and restrictions only empower the criminals

Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,481,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
OZ... you keep pretending that the Federal Rule means that you must wait that long in Arizona to purchase a gun. You don't.

There is no waiting period in Arizona.
NICS was a centralized system put into place so that all states have a uniform database to check references. As I stated before, the LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONS are the ones looking like they dropped the ball.

There may be no state mandated wait, but federally there could be (I see you understand this, good). I'm not quite sure if I missed the start of this, but the gun used in this particular case was not purchsed that day, a waiting period would have been null. Further, as postulated before, if someone wanted to kill a whole mess of people all they need to do is rent a U-Haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Let's ban guns altogether and watch the murder rate plummet
I REALLY hope I missed the sarcasm on that. UK and Australia already proved that fallacy incorrect.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,989,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The very suggestion of some to force those who have become poor & collect UE or welfare to get drug testing is also taking someones rights away.
What comes around goes around.
Don't school me & try to explain that 'it's not the same'. It is.

When we take rights away from anyone in this country & force them to comply, we are actually opening the door for more & more rules. Eventually those who suggest such things will also become effected.
I agree and I do think the guns laws will change somewhat, I am a responsible gun owner and I don't need that many rounds to hit a target, law enforcement people need the ammunition, they never know who they will encounter.

Years ago there were some initiatives on ballots that started things.

non smoker/smoker the smoking ban helped opened all the doors to other things.

Now with all the opinions with should/shouldn't govt control the food in schools.

Someone wanting McDonalds not to sell happy meals (its up to their parents for Gods Sake.)

Nit picking on Michelle O'Bama about wanting or suggesting wholesome foods in schools.

Trying to control what people buy with food stamps I believe 75% of those folks are honest and are really trying to save a buck.

There are lots of other things I can't even think of because there are so many.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Sane people are responsible gun owners.

Insane people have no business having access to any firearms.
Insane? Sane? Plenty of sane people who are insane when it comes to firearms, they can get heated up and then something tragic happens.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What does "blame" have to do with it?

I don't "blame" cars for DUI accidents. I still prefer that drunks not be allowed to drive.
Yes and they should not be allowed to drive for a long time after 1st offense.

These repeating offenders need locked up

Why is there no heavy taxes on alcohol? Why are people not focusing on the alcohol issue and pick on every other thing they can come up with.

How many times are people killed by drunk drivers, drunks shouldn't have guns either. Most likely a drunk is going to shoot someone & then say they are sorry...

Old 01-11-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I am a gun owner, I possess a license to carry that gun, the gun that I possess and carry upon my person is a semi-automatic capable of using a high capacity magazine, and I have always been a believer that that the 2nd Amendment grants me, as an individual, the right to keep and bear arms.

What I don't believe, as the Supreme Court held in Heller v the District of Columbia, that the 2nd Amendment precludes reasonable restrictions on those rights. What we need are not only reasonable restrictions but the desire to enforce those that exist, neither of which will occur as long as the NRA and its members continue to pursue a zero sum approach to gun control.
I have to agree with you, what I don't understand is the rules for hunting rifles vs handguns and how much amo you are permitted, how many animals you may shoot, why can't the laws be something like that, I have a gun but not 10 or more loaded mags sitting around my home, thats nuts.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Once again...punish the 99%. And what about the insane person who has a clean background? What about the person who goes out on the streets to buy a firearm? Will the shady character on the streets selling guns out of his trunk give out a background check? Do you fully expect everyone who want to purchase a firearm to lay down on a shrinks couch with a box of tissues for 3-6 months of therapy before they can get the "OK" to make the purchase? At the expense of whom?

Come back to earth.
You've got to admit there is more insanity in this world today, its not 1850 anymore.

The street will always sell guns they don't care who they sell them too.

If people would pull their heads out of their illusion that things should be their way and try to get along with others a lot of things would not happen in this country.

What should be reported is someone buying excess ammo, I'm not talking about hunting season thats completely different.

If these health insurance companies would help those with mental health problems as they should, instead of giving them med's and letting them go home without a complete evalution, they only pay 50% of mental health problems, people go to a doctor or whoever, they give them drugs and thats it. They don't want them in the hospital, they'd rather let them go home take the meds and maybe that will make them worse and turn to dangerous, and the medications for mental health are not cheap in any way.

Of course it was horrifying what he did, maybe the mental health industry will wake up, it always takes something like this to make people give a damn.

Maybe now we can dismiss McDonalds selling happy meals and wholesome foods for children in schools pro or con. There are more urgent matters that need full attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies