Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,600 times

Advertisements

If conservatives want "cool" they can have it. I'd really hope there's more to life. Incidentally I knew a lot of "cool" conservatives in SoCal and the Southwest, and it certainly wasn't enough to make me wanna switch teams.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
Progressivism is a political attitude favoring or advocating changes or reform through governmental action.

If "governmental action" is the current norm (we currently have a strong and active central government), wouldn't a small, conservative government be a "progressive" idea, in a sense? Giving more respect to individual rights would be a change of course, which would make it a progressive idea. Right?

My point: The founders of our country were being extremely "progressive" when they built a foundation of small government and individual rights and freedoms. It had never been tried before. The current direction we are headed is only "progressive" in the context of U.S. history, as it is a change from the intent of our founders. In the context of world history, though, giving more power to the central government could be considered "regressive." It has most certainly been done before by countless other nations.

Quote:
Never seen a place (in the world) where for example a conservative style of dress would be considered "cool" or "hip" to a "trendy" progressive style of clothing.
True! I think we should let progressives pick out the clothes, and let conservatives or libertarians run the country. That would be ideal.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Isn't the very original definition of conservative, tight, cautious, traditional or sticking to tried norms, while liberal meant more loose, free, idealistic and radical.

If you stick to thinking about those ideas, you could see how it could make sense.
Yes thats the whole point. By definition if your city is on the cutting edge, radical, artsy, free, trendy, loose, dynamic, always changing it cannot be a conservative city. This has nothing to do with the liberal media or the bias or partisan politics or hip-hop culture or any of that stuff... it has to do with the dictionary definitions and reality.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
If "governmental action" is the current norm (we currently have a strong and active central government), wouldn't a small, conservative government be a "progressive" idea, in a sense? Giving more respect to individual rights would be a change of course, which would make it a progressive idea. Right?

My point: The founders of our country were being extremely "progressive" when they built a foundation of small government and individual rights and freedoms. It had never been tried before. The current direction we are headed is only "progressive" in the context of U.S. history, as it is a change from the intent of our founders. In the context of world history, though, giving more power to the central government could be considered "regressive." It has most certainly been done before by countless other nations.
Many progressives DO support smaller government, just not on the same issues the conservatives do. For example downsizing the military, downsizing homeland security, eliminating government subsidies especially to big business, eliminating wiretapping, eliminating Patriot act, closing Guantanomo, giving individuals more rights such as gay marriage, civil rights, abortion, support free speech (ideas such as internet neutrality), etc. Intrinsically these policies DO make the government smaller and give individuals more rights even if you, as a conservative, may not agree with them.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:10 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Bush seems cool and he's a conservative. Good sense of humor.
Yeah he's the kinda guy you'd like to sit down & shoot the **** with over a nice cold beer.

I've always felt like I've known the man even though I've never met him personally.

The intention of this thread was not about that though, or how people dress or what not, but rather conservative versus liberal cities being hip & cool esp. in pop culture.

Some examples are...

Conservative cities:

Oklahoma City
Fort Worth
Nashville

Liberal cities:

Austin
Los Angeles
Boston

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Yes thats the whole point. By definition if your city is on the cutting edge, radical, artsy, free, trendy, loose, dynamic, always changing it cannot be a conservative city. This has nothing to do with the liberal media or the bias or partisan politics or hip-hop culture or any of that stuff... it has to do with the dictionary definitions and reality.
Yeah, I don't see how any of these things have anything to do with government involvement/interference or not (a mainstay of the current political definitions or at least the connotations of "liberal" or "conservative").

You could start radical rather than traditional social trends, attitudes, fashions etc. and be artsy and the like in your local circle, what does the government care?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why is it such common knowledge to think conservative cities & towns can't be as hip as more liberal places, especially with the younger generations?

I've often wondered this.

Is it because liberal cities have more of a "live & let live" attitude about them vs. conservative cities which tend to put family & God first?

Progressive doesn't always equal liberal. There are some very progressive (economically & technologically speaking) conservative cities out there. I live in one.
What city would that be?

I think overall it's tough for a conservative city to be "cool" or "hip"...I guess because younger people tend to be a bit more liberal. That's not to say conservative people can't be cool...I've got tons of pretty conservative friends...but there needs to be that liberal douchey-touch to make a place really seem hip haha.

I remember Lazlow Jones (a huge contributor to the Grand Theft Auto videogame series) said something on his radio show that was talking about this...this isn't the exact quote, but it was something like: "Liberals may be whiny little douches, but they understand comedy and entertainment. When Conservatives try to do it, it's just really awkward." I think this was in response to Fox News trying to be funny and playing a song called "Barack the Magic Negro".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
But at the end of the day, outside of the kitschy-cool cities like Seattle, San Francisco, and New York, the vast majority of people are far more concerned with making a living, providing a good, safe, quality, upbringing for their kids, and making sure that their family has a good life. So more conservative cities like Boise, Denver, Kansas City, etc. won't be "cool," but they'll almost always be more livable, affordable, and all-around better to live in.
How so? Those cities are very quiet...but are they really safer? They may be cheaper...but what about their educational offerings? Are they really all-around that much better? Denver is close to the Rockies, but not the ocean and Kansas City is close to nothing. Boise is in Idaho, so I really don't think I need to expand on that (no offense to Idaho).

Also, isn't Boise a bit of a hotbed for Neo-Nazis? Or at least the greater region? Sounds fantastic!

Could you provide some examples as to why these cities would be all-around better to live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah he's the kinda guy you'd like to sit down & shoot the **** with over a nice cold beer.

I've always felt like I've known the man even though I've never met him personally.
Yea I remember my friend and I joking that Bush was like the uncle that sneaks you a beer at the family party when you're underage...a cool guy, but not someone you want running the country haha.

off topic: I never understood why people want to have a president that they can connect to, or is similar to them. I want a cold, calculated bastard who loves this country and is smarter than everyone else.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 26,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This has nothing to do with the "liberal" media. By definition, the "old times" and "like it used to be" can never be considered "cool".
Tell that to all the period piece enthusiasts and fantasy fans. History can be cool. Ancient things can be cool to. Hell, green living, which is considered hip right now, is ultimately conservative.

Politics, on the other hand, is never cool.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think what is considered as "hip and cool" really depends on the population that lives there and their culture.

I went to Colorado Springs once, where it is considered a very conservative city in Colorado. I went to the World Prayer Center there, and to them they considered it "cool" and I was young at that time, and many teenagers and young college students went there too. So young people thought that church is cool. Maybe if the World Prayer Center were in San Fransico it wouldn't be considered as cool, but the kids who went to the World Prayer Center thought it was hip and cool to go there. I bet they considered it the "in" thing to do to go to church and worship the Christian God.

So yes I think conservative cities can be as "cool" as their liberal counterparts but the way they are cool is different than a liberal's version of cool.
This is a good point.

Also I think I may have confused the OP. I consider myself conservative. I have many arts and science interests which I think are pretty neat or fun, but I don't think many of them are "cool" in the normal sense. Although thinking on it "cool" doesn't have to mean "avant-garde and trendy", it can mean like calm and classy.

I think conservatism can certainly go along with "calm and classy." A spiritual moment in a Buddhist temple could be highly conservative, if you have any Buddhist ancestors, and maybe "cool" too. Getting totally drunk at a big Fourth of July party in Oklahoma City could certainly fit as American conservatism. Art Deco is an old style of architecture that was associated, at least somewhat, to big businesses. And obviously not everything a conservative does has to be justifiable as conservatism. As American conservatism is often about business and military new technologies that aid those two fit as conservatism. I think robots could even fit into classical conservatism as some of them may revive the old tradition of servants. Or I'm just saying that because I kind of love robots.

So I guess I'm saying a city with fine symphonies, Buddhist temples, art deco skyscrapers, and exciting Fourth of July parties is or at least can be conservative. Heck P. Diddy's parties are arguably conservative in so much as I've heard they're about an older sense of style influenced by Gatsby and the like.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
I dont see why not. I have traveled this country pretty extensively and I cant recall anyone in any city (in a normal everyday scenario) pushing their political or religious beliefs on me. Ive had fun in both liberal and conservative cities. Ive been bar hopping in Austin and Oklahoma City and I didnt find the experiances to be all that different. Had fun in both.

I consider myself a liberal, but I can certainly have fun in conservative cities (like OKC). I do not really think of Fort Worth as conservative (or liberal or really anything), but it is one of my favorite cities in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies