Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just because some Christians killed a million people, doesn't mean all Christians are killers.
I haven't seen Christians sawing peoples' heads off with butcher knives lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The Egyptians are revolting with one of their own dictating their lives. I doubt they will stand for having a foreigner dictating their lives either.

Glenn Beck is in the business of selling fear. Don't buy it. Well, fear and gold. Don't buy either.

?? The Muslim Brotherhood started in Egypt, they are hardly foreigners.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 AM

421 posts, read 448,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I haven't seen Christians sawing peoples' heads off with butcher knives lately.
I think you find Christian's in the west shoot, stab and murder one another quite frequently. Given the majority of US people are Christians, I think its fair to say that Christians decapitate people quite frequently.

I see Mexican Christians are doing a good job in decapitation of late

BBC NEWS | Americas | 'Family values' of Mexico drug gang

Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It sounds like our natural comeuppance for our deal with the devil.

Too funny, we are damned if we do (interfere with other countries sovereignty) or damned if we don't (make a deal with the devil) we can't win.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Nothing, evidently. Every generation needs its boogeyman. Witches, Catholics, anarchists, Communists, homosexuals, drug dealers, and now Muslims. It never changes, just the immediate enemy does.

Muslim fundamentalists are a serious menace to people in countries where they are a majority. They are not a serious menace to us in the West.

I think there are families of 3000 people who would disagree with you.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
All you have to do is rotate this around to see how silly it is. Ask yourself this, if you saw a news article saying 'Christian's aim to unite world under violent Christian empire'. Then this article want on to say that Christians in France and America wanted to unite the Christian world, and that there would soon be a Franco-American state. That these Christians killed every day, that French Christians murder Muslims in Algeria trying to hold onto their Christian empire, and that American Christian's killed a million people in Vietnam, in an unprovoked attack to expand the Christin empire. The
Christian's believe in one true God, thus no other faith can exist with Christianity, so they won't rest until the world is there's.

You'd know this was rubbish, because even though they are both Christian majority states, France and the USA don't really get along. Also, wars fought by these two Christian countries were more pragmatic than faith based. So really, the idea of a Christian empire falls down, because different states have different interests, and disagree, and are pragmatic. Just because some Christians killed a million people, doesn't mean all Christians are killers.

Its the same with Muslim states, they are individual states, with their own issues and problems. Just look at when Egypt and Syria tried to unite, they failed even to unite two states! People refer to Iran, but what has Iran done exactly, who has it invaded?

Mmmm you do realize Muslims are acting on their desire to institute Sharia law wherever they are. If Christians expoused the views you stated and used violent means to enforce them (see Afgahanistan, Iran, Somlia,etc.) I think their would be world wide revulsion. Yet the same actions by Muslim extremists are greeted with yawns by the left. This is a fascinating pathology.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think there are families of 3000 people who would disagree with you.
Are you really incapable of separating out the issue ?

Yes there were people, who were Muslims who committed a terrorist act against America

Yes that was a horrible act

Yes its tragic for the friends and families of those who died

No, that doesn't mean all Muslims are evil

No that doesn't mean that Islam caused the terrorist attacks

No that doesn't make the terrorist act one of strategic significance.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I think you find Christian's in the west shoot, stab and murder one another quite frequently. Given the majority of US people are Christians, I think its fair to say that Christians decapitate people quite frequently.

I see Mexican Christians are doing a good job in decapitation of late

BBC NEWS | Americas | 'Family values' of Mexico drug gang

Uggg, you don't understand the difference do you? People are not having violence visited on them simply because they are not Christians in the west. That is the case in Muslim countries, see the Coptic Christians. We are doomed because of the ignorance of how Muslim extremists are operating around the world. It seems some Americans won't get it until people in Detroit start getting beheaded for going to Christian services. Or perhaps Jews in NY get beheaded for going to synagogue.

Last edited by shorebaby; 02-02-2011 at 02:10 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Are you really incapable of separating out the issue ?

Yes there were people, who were Muslims who committed a terrorist act against America

Yes that was a horrible act

Yes its tragic for the friends and families of those who died

No, that doesn't mean all Muslims are evil

No that doesn't mean that Islam caused the terrorist attacks

No that doesn't make the terrorist act one of strategic significance.

Who said all Muslims are evil? we are discussing the MB and their desire to force their beliefs on the rest of the world. The poster posited that Muslim extremists posed no danger to the west, the poster is clearly wrong.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Mmmm you do realize Muslims are acting on their desire to institute Sharia law wherever they are. If Christians expoused the views you stated and used violent means to enforce them (see Afgahanistan, Iran, Somlia,etc.) I think their would be world wide revulsion. Yet the same actions by Muslim extremists are greeted with yawns by the left. This is a fascinating pathology.
It to a matter of causation. I don't want to condescend here, but people find causation a tricky thing to deal with.

So, correlation means that things show a relationship to one another, for example as the number of pirates has gone down global temperatures have gone up, there is a statistical relationship (inversely) between pirate numbers and global temperatures. Causation however, is claiming that something causes something else. The two are often mistaken, so, in effect people think that pirates keep the sea cool - clearly a silly logical error.

Now, this issue comes down to causation, does Islam 'cause' people to be violent/authoritarian/terrorist. Or are Islamic majority countries in an area of the world that has other problems that cause these issues, and Islam is the dominant religion, thus the way in which these problems are expressed?

I would suggest that claiming that Islam causes someone to be violent/authoritarian just doesn't add up, any more so than Christianity causing someone to be violent.

Now, you mention Islamic law, something subject to interpretation, and that has changed over time. It seems to me that a changing law, is more a subject of politics than a cause of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies