Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why start here? Why haven't Republicans defunded big government programs in the past when they had power?

Defund? Try it!

Because of attitudes like yours. They cant fix a damn thing because so many wont let them. Unfortunately, or fortunately really, no party ever has ultimate power and both regularly act like school children so nothing of substance gets done. Like the bill this thread is about. Its pretty meaningless because the fact of the matter is the govt cant afford to give anybody health care & those who can afford it already have it. Nothing they do or say will make insurance any less expensive so a law forcing people to buy it is nothing less than ridiculous.

Funny part is if we actually cut spending here & cut off foreign aid we could give everyone here free medical even at todays rates & have money left over. I guess at the end of the day the way the world views us & our position as global police & financial saviors is more important than the health of our taxpayers.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Of course we know if it ever came to a VOTE, the dems would hold together, but yesterday's vote I believe was a filibuster by the dems to prevent it from coming to a vote.

This is all good, the GOP has fulfilled the pledge and the voters know it is obama and the dems refusing to bow to the will of the people, even after the law has been struck down as unconstitutional. This is all good, will make GREAT campaign material.
First off, the Dem's control the calendar in the Senate. If they didn't want a vote, all they had to do is not bring it up. That's not a filibuster. A filibuster is when 60 members of the Senate vote to stall a bill that IS on the calendar. That didn't happen. Reid brought it up for a vote, they held it, and the results were 47 to 51.

Either some of you have absolutely zero knowledge of how the Senate works, or you're purposely trying to mislead people. I find not knowing pretty unlikely, since the R's used the filibuster more in the last two years than nearly all the combined filibusters used in it's history.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Another big waste of time in government--after constant accusations by the R's that Reid wouldn't put the bill up for a vote in the Senate because it would fail, he did just that. The votes fell straight down party lines. There was absolutely no surprise here, but it was a massive waste of everyones times. Can we all get back to work on the economy now? We knew from the start this would be decided by the SCOTUS, and that's where it's headed.

The good news--the D's worked with the R's to remove the tax reporting required for small business--it was a very reasonable move. Let's see if the R's are that willing to extend the same spirit of compromise as well in the future.

Senate defeats health care repeal - International Business Times
you realize the purpose of this was to help republicans in 2012? a lot of democrat senators up for re-election in 2012.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you realize the purpose of this was to help republicans in 2012? a lot of democrat senators up for re-election in 2012.
Yeah, Reid brought it up to help the Republicans...that's always been his goal. Right...

Whether you like it or not, people want health care reformed in this country. Within the Dems there's disagreement on how to do it, but something has to happen, and it's better than the "stick with what we have" system coming out of the R's. I don't care which side fixes it, but it needs to happen, and the Dem's are the only ones I see right now taking the issue seriously.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
How the D's voted will be duly noted by their constituents - especially those constituents who were against Obamacare.

Since the majority are still in favor... I doubt this will matter. of course watching the Repugs waste time and add nothing to the equation will also be noticed...

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And the other way around.
You know, the Rs trying to kill nationalized health care when 71% of the population thinks that it doesn't go far enough?

Most bankruptcies in the US are a direct result of medical bills.

Do tell.
And exactly what would those goodies be?
People seem to like the 26 and under being a child.

Pre-existing conditions not being a reason for denial

Continued coverage with a illness.

They things the will hurt the economy really start in 2012/2014. The costs.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37379.html

Old 02-03-2011, 11:05 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Yes, we did get a vote. And now we know who supports keeping a law that was declared unconstitutional.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Yeah, Reid brought it up to help the Republicans...that's always been his goal. Right...

Whether you like it or not, people want health care reformed in this country. Within the Dems there's disagreement on how to do it, but something has to happen, and it's better than the "stick with what we have" system coming out of the R's. I don't care which side fixes it, but it needs to happen, and the Dem's are the only ones I see right now taking the issue seriously.
I ask again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
O.K., lets cut straight to the chase.....

If this bill is SO amazing and is going to help the millions and millions of people that do not have health care. (minus the illegals and various religons and of course the 700+ other waivers)

Why is it not implemented RIGHT NOW?

People still will not have insurance and they are still dying....right....

But hey whats another 2-3 years...

Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I ask again...
I wasn't stalling--I'm just trying to work.

Phasing in gives people and companies time to plan for changes, and time to set the system up to enact the provisions. Do you own a business or work for a company? Have you ever tried to start an entirely new project from the ground up? Phased implementation is how you avoid chaos. You create a plan and implement in steps.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Yep, I do. Its all about elections. It has been since Nov 2008. The country's woes can wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies