Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think there is a good bit of "buyer's remorse" developing. I know in Fla, the Govs approval rating is now at a blistering 35%. But, by all means, continue to pretend you don't see what's going on.
Yep, buyers remorse on the dems side....the repubs bought nothing....

Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You know what--you're right--they put it on a budget bill. I stand corrected. Still, if the Dem's were so worried about their vote, do you think they would have voted in support of it TWICE. The voting record is already there from the first time around if the R's want to use it as a campaign issue. I think the R's are playing a risky game with this, and I understand that they have to--the far end of the base is demanding it. They're gambling that the public won't like the provisions in two years, and they want to use it as an election platform. Two years is a long time--as the provisions open up and become more popular, they might find themselves a day late and a dollar short. I think that's what the Dem's are betting on.
The pregames have already started....some people like it and some don't, (I won't put up a %, because I don't know, unlike other people)

There won't be a bill if the SC gets it, but that's my opinion....

Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post

Please explain on what basis you think the Supreme Court will overturn 68 years of precedent and invalidate Wickard.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
The pregames have already started....some people like it and some don't, (I won't put up a %, because I don't know, unlike other people)

I don't know if it's a done deal with the SC, but the odds are looking better for HCR to be upheld by them than you might think. In addition to the Wickard v Filburn case Jill61 cited above, in January the SC refused to hear another case (Alderman v. US) regarding whether Congress had over stepped it's authority under the Interstate Commerce Clause. Since the opponents of HCR are asking the court to impose strict limits on Congress's commerce clause power, many see this as a signal from the court that it's unwilling to expand on or examine what limits, if any, should apply to Congressional power under the Commerce clause. In fact--Scalia and Thomas--the only two who wanted to hear the case--wrote the following in their dissent:

“Today, the court tacitly accepts the nullification of our recent commerce clause jurisprudence,” Justice Clarence Thomas wrote in an eight-page dissent joined by Antonin Scalia.

Thomas said the lower court decision in the Alderman case “could very well remove any limit on the commerce power.”

Like I said, it's not a done deal, but I sure wouldn't count on the Supreme court ruling it unconstitutional.

Supreme Court: Did it just hint at stance on a health-care law challenge? - CSMonitor.com

Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Good I am glad it was shot down, now maybe the repubs will actually start caring about the unemployed and the economy but I sincerely doubt it. And I am sure the voting public will notice this too.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Please explain on what basis you think the Supreme Court will overturn 68 years of precedent and invalidate Wickard.
The same reason 2 other judges have said it is unconstitutional....

Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), was a U.S. Supreme Court decision that dramatically increased the power of the federal government to regulate economic activity. A farmer, Roscoe Filburn, was growing wheat to feed his chickens. The U.S. government had imposed limits on wheat production based on acreage owned by a farmer, in order to drive up wheat prices during the Great Depression, and Filburn was growing more than the limits permitted. Filburn was ordered to destroy his crops and pay a fine, even though he was producing the excess wheat for his own use and had no intention of selling it.

If you REALLY think this is the same as the health care being implemented...

Then you really need to re-think your thinking...
This is a useless comparison...
Attached Thumbnails
Sentate Defeats Health Care Bill Repeal--you wanted a vote, and you got it.-doublefacepalm.jpg  

Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Good I am glad it was shot down, now maybe the repubs will actually start caring about the unemployed and the economy but I sincerely doubt it. And I am sure the voting public will notice this too.
Cause we know the dems have had a laser focus on jobs and the economy...

That's what the stimulus....was for right?......2 years later...still waiting...

Old 02-03-2011, 05:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
A previous post of mine had a link and a couple examples of some of the things in ObamaCare that is already doing plenty of damage.....

"The damage has already begun"

Repeal of ObamaCare can't come soon enough -- as several damaging provisions are set to take effect this year.

For starters, it has effectively stopped the construction of physician-owned hospitals throughout the country.
Of course, patients may have trouble finding not just a hospital, but a doctor. A Physician's Foundation survey revealed that 40 percent of doctors plan to "drop out of patient care in the next one to three years." Sixty percent said ObamaCare will "compel them to close or significantly restrict their practices to certain categories of patients" -- typically those on Medicare or Medicaid.

Health reform will force many folks to give up their current insurance, too
Other measures kicking in are petty -- but punitive. For example, people can no longer use tax-free Health Savings Accounts on basic over-the-counter drugs. Instead, they must pay for a doctor's appointment -- and then get a prescription for a pricier pharmacist-dispensed drug.

Each of those are explained in detail, so head over and read.
Re: bolds:

"Plan to", in other words, they like to BS about it but they likely won't do anything when the time comes.

Or, pay for the OTC drugs themselves. You have no idea how insurance works if you think you can get around it like you have described. The ins. company will require you to try the OTC product first, and it may deny approval even if you say it didn't work.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Re: bolds:

"Plan to", in other words, they like to BS about it but they likely won't do anything when the time comes.
Well, then you live under a rock.

I have seen buildings stopped being constructed due to the above.

Quote:
Or, pay for the OTC drugs themselves. You have no idea how insurance works if you think you can get around it like you have described. The ins. company will require you to try the OTC product first, and it may deny approval even if you say it didn't work.
I guess you fail.

My post TELLS YOU to read about all those things in detail at the link.

You obviously didn't bother.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
LOL.....you mean like how the Democrats cared so much for the last two years while America suffered?

The voting public also noticed how Democrats passed ObamaCare in SPITE of them saying NO.

The voting public DID notice that and threw them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies