Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I actually fail to even see anyone here "making fun" of the President in this thread.

We're just laughing at the irony involved in using Obama's own words as a footnote within the Judge's ruling.
I think it says more about the judge than Obama, specifically the judge's lack of basic reasoning or logic.

Obama's quote was about home ownership. It doesn't really affect me if you don't live in a home. It mainly affects the person who is homeless. Sure, the police might have more work to do with homeless people, and we all pay for the police. However, it DOES really affect me if you don't have health insurance and you get majorly sick. Cause the hospital is gonna treat you no matter your ability to pay. And who pays for that? The rest of us who pay extremely high insurance premiums. So, no you can't solve homelessness by mandating home ownership. That's obvious. However, you CAN help solve the rise in health care costs by sharing the burden among the millions who are not paying into the system.

I think this hand-picked Republican judge's use of this quote, combined with his flimsy ruling on standing (he threw out the cases of the 26 states who were in on this suit), show he was really looking to get some press. He let his political ideology guide his reasoning rather than case law and the merits of the case.

For the record, I think the SCOTUS will uphold the constitutionality of this law by a surprising margin. 6-3 at least
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Legislating from the bench.
Well, no. Actually, striking down unConstitutional legislation would not be "legislating" from the bench; it would be doing his job; which is to interpret law and compare to the Constitution and see if it passes the test. Obamacare failed and failed big time using his (Obama's) own arguement against it.

Seems you comment failed as badly as did Obamacare!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

For the record, I think the SCOTUS will uphold the constitutionality of this law by a surprising margin. 6-3 at least

Would you be as happy if the government forced you to buy a gun for example?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

Obama's quote was about home ownership.

FAIL!!!

Obama was at that time in a primary race with Hillary Clinton who favoured a mandate for HC insurance.

He was talking about why a mandate is a bad idea.

He was 100% correct THEN.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Nothing like using one's word against them, is there now! Sticking to the Consitution oh my.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Nothing like using one's word against them, is there now! Sticking to the Consitution oh my.
Even when you use their own words the lemmings still deny it. It has become MORE than obvious that these minions were sent here from one of the Soros groups with their propaganda sheets in hand that tell them WHAT to say to the various talking points. The last one they have resulted to is calling everything a conspiracy theory even if it's true. That came from Cass Sunstein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies