Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We have had a "one man and one woman" definition of marriage for a long time.
Appeal to tradition

Also just want to point out it wasn't until the last few hundred years that marriage became 1man/1woman.

Quote:
Now some people want to change the definition to "any two humans".
Correction: "Now some people want to change the definition to "consenting adults".

Quote:
So, while we are changing the definition, why not liberalize it completely. Why not open up to plural marriage.
Right now, it'd be more a paperwork issue and altering databases to handle more than one spouse. After normalizing the databases to handle such instances, I do not see why plural marriage should be denied.

Quote:
Why not open up to marriage between a human and their pet.
Slippery Slope

Pets are not consenting adults.

Quote:
And who are you to make a rule that the pet has to be able to legally enter into a contract?????? Pets don't legally enter into a contract to be "owned" by a human either. But that does not mean they cannot be owned.
Strawman

Ability to be owned and ability to give consent are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think marriage should be defined by the individuals involved. I see no reason to prevent "different" people or arrangements sharing the misery of all the rest of us married people.

From the political point of view putting limitations on secular marriages is an inappropriate imposition of religious beliefs on the secular world that creates legal discrimination for religious reason. Allowing all manner of secular marriages does not in any way require any religion to recognize a marriage they do not allow. They may disapprove but their approval is not required by someone that does not believe in their faith.

Why should I, a pagan, be forced to limit myself and my partners to a monogamous marriage when we do not have any religious or moral prohibitions preventing the arrangement? Why should we not be a legally recognized multi partner family with the legal responsibilities attendant to any other marriage?

Exactly! Marriage should be a religious event, and nobody should be able to tell another person who he can marry and how many he can marry. Let people marry a woman, football team, a gerbil, a palm tree or fencepost if they want to.

Get the government out of marriage and you solve a lot of these problems.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

Slipper Slope

Pets are not consenting adults.

Strawman

Ability to be owned and ability to give consent are two different things.

I agree with both of those statements. But, so what?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Proven by the simple fact that none of them is able to answer a question as to just how their marriage would "change" were gay couples able to marry legally.
Exactly! I've asked the same question over and over again and never get an answer...usually not even an attempt to answer.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Exactly! Marriage should be a religious event, and nobody should be able to tell another person who he can marry and how many he can marry. Let people marry a woman, football team, a gerbil, a palm tree or fencepost if they want to.

Gotta disagree with the bolded statement. My parents weren't married in a church; their wedding took place before the mayor. I was married in church; my sister and her husband followed Mom & Dad's example and got married at City Hall in front of the mayor. Do you really think my parents and sister's weddings were 'less valid' than mine?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:

Not possible since there are so many benefits enjoyed under the law by married couples. Who says it cannot be a religious event, you do know that there are churches that are more than willing to marry gay couples don't ya? No one is advocating allowing people to marry animals; we are talking about consenting adults only. How would it affect you if they were allowed?
Casper

Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Gotta disagree with the bolded statement. My parents weren't married in a church; their wedding took place before the mayor. I was married in church; my sister and her husband followed Mom & Dad's example and got married at City Hall in front of the mayor. Do you really think my parents and sister's weddings were 'less valid' than mine?

No. That is not what I meant.

My point is that everyone should define marriage according to their religious beliefs and their faith. That is what I mean by a making marriage a religious event as opposed to a government controlled event.

I should not tell you how, when and who you can marry.

If my religion allows plural marriage and yours does not, then you should not have a problem with that.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Not possible since there are so many benefits enjoyed under the law by married couples. Who says it cannot be a religious event, you do know that there are churches that are more than willing to marry gay couples don't ya? No one is advocating allowing people to marry animals; we are talking about consenting adults only. How would it affect you if they were allowed?
Casper
It is possible if we change the law.

I do not agree with making a special exemption for gay couples and denying the same right to those who want a plural marriage or want to marry their siblings. That is discrimination.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
HIV

next!

Yes, because homosexual sex is certainly the one and only way to contract HIV. Great point.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
As a Pastor I am in favor of everyone having a civil marriage with those who are interested going to a church for a religious blessing if they so choose. When I marry people I am acting as an agent of the State; it isn't right that the state is forcing me to discriminate against who can be married.

Allow male/male; female/female; male/female couples to be married by the state and let the church decide if they will do the blessing or not.

Personally I would marry same-sex couples (and have), and will continue to do so because to do otherwise is treating them less than equal, something Christ preached against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies