Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Yes. The philosophy and intentions of the Brotherhood are explicitly described in their Charter and in the words of their founders and leaders. It's there for all to see and it's clear.

So why does the left defend such Islamic radicals? For the same reason they defend the Iranian regime, Hamas, etc. These forces have an intermediate goal of driving the US from the area, a goal the left would love to see accomplished. The left believes that the US has no vital interests in the Middle East (or for that matter anywhere else) and should retreat to within its own borders. The more anti-American regimes, the better.

It's really as simple as that. The Islamists and the left have the same short-term goal - drive America out.
America belongs in America not other countries. Just the same way that Israel belongs in Israel, not Gaza or the West Bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Repressive? You're telling me that ISRAEL is repressive? If the Muslim Brotherhood has its way with Egypt, they would throw the Egyptian constution out the window to be replaced by Sharia law, a shocking, bloody, and archaeic, and hellish system of government that should offend anyone with any respect for basic human rights. I have been a huge supporter of Obama until now. Now that I see his blind support for the will of the Egyptian people without considering the ramifications of it, I have had to seriously reconsider my political viewpoints.

BBC News - Profile: Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood

So let's see how long this new "democracy" lasts before it becomes another Iran. But of course, it's what the people want. Maybe Obama needs to realize that democracy doesn't work everywhere.
Perhaps if the Muslim Brotherhood is a threat to countries that have recently overthrown a dictator and became a "new democracy", we should have left Iraq alone. No one knows what will happen there!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
Is the US a friend of the 'global good'? Just how many democratic governments has the US overthrown and installed dictators or vicious juntas to terrorize the population.
A list for ya.

US-sponsored Murderous Dictatorships

Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
It's really as simple as that. The Islamists and the left have the same short-term goal - drive America out.
I'm not really all that left-wing, but aside from that-- guilty

Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We've done plenty of bad, but in the interest of fairness some in the list are hard to defend being there. Batista was much less murderous than Castro. The Kuwaiti emirate is undemocratic but hardly bloodthirsty. Etc...

Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,332,261 times
Quote:
Yes. The philosophy and intentions of the Brotherhood are explicitly described in their Charter and in the words of their founders and leaders. It's there for all to see and it's clear.

So why does the left defend such Islamic radicals? For the same reason they defend the Iranian regime, Hamas, etc. These forces have an intermediate goal of driving the US from the area, a goal the left would love to see accomplished. The left believes that the US has no vital interests in the Middle East (or for that matter anywhere else) and should retreat to within its own borders. The more anti-American regimes, the better.

A couple of the most active leftists on this forum have responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
America belongs in America not other countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm not really all that left-wing, but aside from that-- guilty
Exactly.
"So why does the left defend such Islamic radicals?" "The Islamists and the left have the same short-term goal - drive America out."
You have proved my point. Thank you!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
The Muslim Brotherhood Negotiating with Mubarak--Assassinated Anwar Sadat

Not anymore they're not. Fret not kiddies, Mubarak may just move to a mansion near you.

Not only was the guy an oppressive tin pot strong man, he apparently was a thief as well, so he should fit right in with the Beverly Hills crowd.

Mubarak hid billions abroad amid protests
Mubarak hid billions abroad amid protests (http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Mubarak+billions+abroad+amid+protests/4273148/story.html - broken link)
Quote:
The former Egyptian president is accused of amassing a fortune of more than $4.8 billion — although some suggest it could be as much as $64 billion — during his 30 years in power.

It is claimed his wealth was tied up in foreign banks, investments, bullion and properties in London, New York, Paris and Beverly Hills.
This is the guy so many Americans called our friend? I'm just curious, will we Americans see a tax rebate after we confiscate the billions he bilked from us or will this just be his severance package? Perhaps we will use it to fund another tin pot dictator in the name of Democracy?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You have proved my point. Thank you!
No, in my case you proved that one person who does not consider himself especially attached to anything "left wing" wants the U.S. to get the hell out of the Middle East. I'm pretty sure I'm not the first such person you've encountered.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
These Israeli apologists at CD are more than welcome to cite any post of mine "defending" these Islamic governments.

There aren't any.

What these Israeli apologiest want you to do is sit back and say nothing while Israel brutalizes Palestinians, and attacks other Nations.

The want you to accept their double standard of Israel being allowed to have nuclear weapons but not Arab countries......Might makes right.

There only pathetic defense is to say....look we're bad but not as bad as these guys.........Wow. What low standards.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Mission accomplished at least in the Middle East. Bring out troops home now as no one should have to serve under the duplicitous azzhat-in-chief.

I wonder if Obama would support being unConstitutionally removed from office himself as he has supported in Egypt? Doubt it.
If he was in power for 30 years I would help you remove him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies