Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM

294 posts, read 351,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's the ten-toed sloths that are the problem here.
And their constant lobbying for the metric system, hard liners.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
150 years worth of biologists witnessed evolution? Oh my, what an ignorant statement. Nobody on this planet has actually witnessed evolution. Evolution takes millions of years, not hundreds. And you are on here talking about uneducated? I think this takes first place!
Perhaps you can then explain why each winter we are confronted with a new strains of flu, or why we are constantly confronted with new retro-viruses and other forms of mutated bacteria?

Evolution in bacteria | Evolution

Battling bacterial evolution: the work of Carl Bergstrom

Bacteria make major evolutionary shift in the lab - life - 09 June 2008 - New Scientist

It’s time for the bacterial evolution crowd to get their own toys | Prof-Like Substance

Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 AM

371 posts, read 393,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
easy. dog breeds.

starting with wolves dogs have become the multiple breeds we know today thru "forced selection" from humans.
Do you also believe the races are different than?

Dogs are still all the same species, so it's adaptation again BUT......

To be fair, evolution was once taught as one creature evolving into another. If you read up on it now, adaptation has been incorporated into evolution and it even reaches into hybrid animals. So this debate isn't so easy, since evolution is so broadly defined.

Most everyone accepts that adaptation is 100% real. So in the case almost 100% believe in parts of evolution.

But, the part people disagree on is that the adaptation results in radical changes and new species appearing. This is the part that is likely unprovable and where the "theory" portion comes into play. But if one day certain human's DNA becomes so different that they can only breed within their group we will have solid proof.

In the end evolution doesn't explain why things are living. If some day scientists are able to take elements (not bits of already living creatures)and mix them into a goo and see life appear it would be amazing. It would radically advance the theory of evolution.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 AM

294 posts, read 351,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps you can then explain why each winter we are confronted with a new strains of flu, or why we are constantly confronted with new retro-viruses and other forms of mutated bacteria?

Evolution in bacteria | Evolution

Battling bacterial evolution: the work of Carl Bergstrom

Bacteria make major evolutionary shift in the lab - life - 09 June 2008 - New Scientist

It’s time for the bacterial evolution crowd to get their own toys | Prof-Like Substance

It's still a flu, it's not gray goo, or grey poupon for that matter.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,611,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Even during my childhood days of Christianity, I always saw the Biblical story of creation as an allegory for evolution. The people of that time were childlike thinkers and were incapable of understanding complicated reasoning, so this great story was created for them by those who knew - or suspected - the truth.

It is incomprehensible to me that now, in 2011, with all of the great scientific discoveries that have occurred over the millennia, that there are people who want a fable to be taught as fact. Biblical creationism as an explanation of the workings of our universe is on par with the myths of the Egyptians, Greeks, or Romans, and, if it is to be taught, should be presented as such.
Scary part is many of these types of people still exist.

Very well said.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post

To be fair, evolution was once taught as one creature evolving into another. If you read up on it now, adaptation has been incorporated into evolution and it even reaches into hybrid animals. So this debate isn't so easy, since evolution is so broadly defined.
Chalk another one up to really bad biology teachers.

Adaptation was the primary focus of 'Darwin's Origin Of The Species, (specifically his observation of Finches) and the backbone of his Theory of Evolution.

Last edited by ovcatto; 02-08-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,096,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
You'd think we'd have something on Discovery Channel by now, documenting the evolution from a monkey to a man.
Will National Geographic be good enough?

Human Origins Project, Human Evolution Information, Facts -- National Geographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire
I'd be happy with the wolf to dog evolution.
There you would have to go to Nova.

NOVA | Dogs Decoded

Quote:
Just what the **** happened on Gallapagos anyway?
Speciation.

Quote:
Where were the Shih-tzus, Peek-a-poos and platypusses?
The first two are pretty much everywhere. The last one is in Australia.

Quote:
Who peed in the age old petry dish and left the three toed tree sloth with only three toes?
Nobody. That's the point.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 02-08-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,606,385 times
Evolutionist,
I am still waiting on the 1/2 man..1/2 monkey to walk out of the forest..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM

39,884 posts, read 26,558,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Evolutionist,
And I'm still waiting for the clouds to part and some great voice to say "I'm REAL, dumbazzes".

Evolution may have gaps in knowledge, however the scientific process applies. Evidence is examined, observations made, experiments are developed to explain (or disprove) the hypothesis. And the gaps in knowledge are getting smaller all the time.

Creationism demands acceptance on FAITH and damns those that question it to burn in eternal fire. That is where it fails as a vaild scientific theory, and why it remains a popular myth.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,833,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Evolutionist,
Why would you? That is a weird expectation, even for evolutionists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies