Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,770,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
There's a difference between being poor and being trashy. Why should trash be spared the label trash just because they're white? Why should anyone be obliged or lie to themselves believing they're doing anyone a favor covering the bar tab for a drunk?

No one in the carribean counts? Immigrants from Haiti, Dominica, and Jamaica have set up small businesses in 5 borroughs NYC. Some on the books and some off. None I've met from those Islands could ever be considered wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, however, their upbringing made a significant difference between those who succeeded once they got here, and those who muddled along with the crowd aimlessly in life. Goal orientated were very centered/ grounded people.

Asian stereotype-- Asians are bothered by the fact that when their kids come here they might achieve in this generation but they watch after assimilation their grandchildren/ great grandchildren decline. So, is it American culture dumbing them down or is there something about Asian culture conducive to education excellence? I think it's a little of both but I can't say for sure anymore than you can.
As for the poorer segment of their group-- do you mean the asian gangs they want nothing to do with? Asians have trash and they don't want to carry trash on their backs? Human beings electing to act like animals are trash. They can't be helped. Explain why that's wrong.

I've never used the word in my life. Neither has anyone in my family or anyone I've called a friend. I don't know those people, I don't want to know them, they're trashy. Why do trash get to define anyone? Ever? Why elevate an unqualified opinion to something epic?

Let's be real... most middle and upper middle class americans see no difference between a hard-working family living in the ghetto and a non-working family living in the ghetto... being poor carries the stigma of being trash in this country and you know it.

And you don't understand... there's a difference between being "wealthy" by our standards and "wealthy" enough to move here. The majority of people in Jamaica and Haiti could never dream of coming here, and that's the reality when you live on the equivalent of a couple dollars a day. The ones who make it stateside already had connections with people in the states (family) or their family's wealthy enough to afford the ticket. Don't tell me you're actually trying to give these stereotypes credence. And the reason why I didn't bring up the Caribbean is because I'm strictly talking about Africans.

And no, I mean the population of Chinese who are struggling with the same issues that anybody in poverty in America struggles with... much like poor whites, poor Asians appear to be more or less invisible in the greater representation community. On some level, it's fraudulent... if one can't own all products of their culture then they're not owning their culture. I own the fact that as a black man I'm most likely to be murdered by another black man and that I'm the least likely demographic to succeed in America other than Native Americans... the amount of pandering to white idealism I've seen from Asians here in the Bay Area is somewhat alarming considering that about half of the Asian population in San Francisco and Oakland is in poverty.

And by your definition of trash then damn near this whole country used to be trashy. However, this is where historical context comes into play. Whites were able to define what blacks were legally up until 50 years ago. Blacks were legally 3/5s of a man for most of the time they've been in the US and second class citizens almost the entire time. So yes, whites did get to define blacks and still do as they own the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,792,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
1.Again you don't know me or my ancestors so I will ignore your personal comments.

2. I am American and my ancestors was one of the people who fought in the Revolutionary war. The American Flag is my Native Flag & English is my native Language.

So my ancestors as other Americans help create this country you want to come to. We fixed our country from Colony to Super Power.

So fix yours
That's a million dollar question right there. If he's not interested in being an American citizen why is he walking around in America living out another country that materially doesn't exist? Not unlike Confederate fans. The similarities are uncanny.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Now you can't have it both ways. If the mythological 'black community' is going to petition the citizens and the government forever over elusive maladies far beyond their ability to solve for themselves and America needs to address, talking about the nature of their problem in open forums isn't divide and conquer. Lets call it diagnosis and treatment plans. It's so much more dignified than shaking around a tin cup claiming the black community needs another telethon as if it's a 2,000 yr battle with muscular dystrophy. A few dozen burned down cities and Cabrini greens tends to make people threadbare about generosity. Perhaps you can relate? Like how disgusted liberals feel when 20 billion dollars is spent on a pig in a poke star wars nonsense. It's like that feeling, only worse, because the star wars pig in a poke doesn't whine, pout, stomp it's feet incessantly, claim you didn't help it or blame you for it's failure when you're paying the bills.

I don't associate that behavior with Africans or any legitimate culture. By universal standards most characterize it as childish. For some odd reason the black community seems to have embraced it as part of their "African-American" heritage. I find that unfortunate because there was an identity far less frivolous nearly half a century ago.

If this mythological black community prefers that we not exercise psychotherapy on mass scale for an amorphous blob of black people the majority have never met personally then perhaps it's time we re-frame the questions hence forth in terms of social ills and their causes. OR we could list comprehensively the root causes of poverty and their remedy because no population on the planet beyond all artificial boundaries or race/ creed is immune from poverty.

And you associate that behavior with African Americans because...? This is exactly my point. You can admit the existence of Chinese gangs - a walking contradiction to most people on this board - but somehow think that what people on here call "welfare culture" is exclusive to African Americans? Welcome to America, the biggest walking contradiction in the world. How are we the richest country but home to one of the most violent impoverished communities on the planet? You tell me.

Living in the Bay Area I reject anybody who even remotely asserts that failure culture is a black thing... that's a lie. Ask the TCGs or the Nortenos or the Hell's Angels or the Triads or the Taliban Gang or Big Block... failure culture has jack **** to do with race. The only aspect of it that has to do with blacks is that up until recently most poor blacks were the uneducated, unprepared products of a Jim Crow education and many of these products passed their contempt for unequal education down to their kids who even now are getting an extremely unequal education compared to those who have money. Not all, but many.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,792,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
BTW, studying and being science inclined does not constitute "acting white."
What does? Explain this nasty pejorative term 'oreo' that blacks put on other blacks. Explain it all at length how anyone is justified using that language on them.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,377,886 times
No, I can't believe it !!!!! ACTING WHITE ???? Studying and science inclined (very smart things) would be white only ???? About Asians ???
Blacks should be stuck in sports and music because the other things are too evolved for them ????

It's completely ridiculous and racist, I don't buy it

Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
What does? Explain this nasty pejorative term 'oreo' that blacks put on other blacks. Explain it all at length how anyone is justified using that language on them.

The people I've heard use this term the most are white people who lash out at any minority who threatens them intellectually.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,309,470 times
This is why it is better to just use the simple term "Black". Tying race to a geographical area is meaningless unless that geographical area is 100% that race. As others have posted, there are White people that live in Africa. It gets even weirder when you consider India. An Indian-American is a person from India who comes to America. An American-Indian is one who traces his ancestry to the indiginant inhabitants of the Americas. A Native American is one who was born here. I think we should just eliminate all referencs to race on all government forms and we'd solve a lot of problems.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
So my ancestors as other Americans help create this country you want to come to. We fixed our country from Colony to Super Power.
Quote:
You don't have to believe me, but if it wasn't for my ancestors and others who fought in the war many of you would not be here.
Seriously? How do you think most blacks ended up in the US? Timeshare? Gilt-edged invitation?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,718,305 times
This is a BS article followed by BS ignorant responses. Evidence can be presented to counter the conclusions made by that article. Thus, its just a matter of where one shines the light, because there are many examples of Africans and African Americans working together. Has anyone ever heard of "Pan Africanism", which is a movement that has been around a very long time.

Secondly, people know very well what the term African American connotes and who it is meant to map to. Why do we think we have the exclusive rights to call ourselves "Americans" When "The Americas" referes to a continental land mass that consists of many nations? You want to claim...."We are AMERICANS". Well, there is no country officially called America. This is the United States OF AMERICA. More correctly, this is the UNITED STATES OF NORTH AMERICA. So until you get your semantics correct, don't come trying to correct the semantics of African Americans and how we choose to define ourselves.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Seriously? How do you think most blacks ended up in the US? Timeshare? Gilt-edged invitation?
Typical White male arrogance. They REALLY think they built America all by themselves.

They never would have survived in Plymouth Massachusetts, and Jamestown Virginia if the Indians hadn't taught them how to cultivate crops.

They never would have built their agricultural industries if not for Black African slaves. These slaves taught them how to cultivate rice. They felt so strongly about the economic importance of slavery to the economy of this country they were willing to take away the human and civil rights of these slaves and even fight a war to preserve the economic system. (Now that is some serious greed for you)

Chinese Americans formed a major labor component of the Transcontinental Railroad.

Mexican America formed a vital labor component that made large scale agriculture viable in the Western United States.

Americans of all races, genders and ethnicities have contributed to the scientific, technological, artistic and cultural advancement of the United States.

But one group of people insists on the myth of "We built this country".

I guess this is what happens when a large measure of your self esteem is built on the belief of racial superiority because you are extremely proficient at killing other people, you come from an educational system that teaches you mythology instead of facts and you watch too damn many John Wayne movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies