Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
1.Again you don't know me or my ancestors so I will ignore your personal comments.

2. I am American and my ancestors was one of the people who fought in the Revolutionary war. The American Flag is my Native Flag & English is my native Language.

So my ancestors as other Americans help create this country you want to come to. We fixed our country from Colony to Super Power.

So fix yours
"You want to come to?" LMAO...hilarious. I'm here already. My ancestors were probably here long before yours were.

Revolutionary War. Yea. OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What work have you done? You've done NOTHING on my behalf. Not a damn thing. I owe you NOTHING. Anything that i have i've attained is due to the black people who came before me to make the American Dream possible for me. Are you black? If not, then stop flattering yourself..."i can't help you anymore?" Who in the hell are you kidding? As if you were ever helping in the first place. LMAO...this is laughable!

And i'm an AFRICAN AMERICAN! I refuse to let outsiders (non-blacks) define me or make the decision as to what i call myself. What is this "or decide they don't mean to be here" crap? We're not immigrants. We were brought here FYI. And we're here to stay no matter what we call ourselves. We helped build the place, sustain it, and have shed blood on countless battlefields to defend it. Get used to it!

Some of your statements are so profoundly ridiculous, that i just shake my head. "They wanted desegregation and equality?" Who wanted desegregation? No, we wanted what was rightfully OURS guaranteed to us in the constitution that we shed blood in this nations wars to defend. And "equality?" Please...another attempt at flattery. I'm your equal at a minimum!!

You wish me well? Somehow, i doubt that very seriously.
You're free to define yourself however you like but for the rest of us 'nuisance humanity' you believe is revolving around your ego define you by your actions. Call yourself a martian and believe believe believe. Your arguments parallel the mavericky up by the boot straps self made supremacists to me. Strange how supremacists insert their thinking process into the mix and turn everything they touch into a cesspool. The Bible diminished to a brick bat. The constitution a piece of toilet paper. Trying to employ reason with this degree of narcissism is an exercise in futility for a community trying to break an addict out of a self imposed prison.

You owe ME nothing? This country nothing? Every law enforcement officer on duty, every member of armed forces on duty this very moment? How about we follow your thinking along to say you owe your mother NOTHING. You owe your father NOTHING. You've allowed abstract thinking to divorce you from terra firma entirely. So sad, but no government or community can save you from your own arrogance. You've elected to delete your own operating system. Your lack of self respect screams volumes. It's not the rest of the planets problem, it is your own. Humanity owes nothing to those with contempt for humanity. If your date is backing away reaching for a can of mace don't wonder why.

Do it on your own dime with your own life and I promise you as citizen respecting your "rights" I won't lift a finger to stop you from self destructive behavior. Just don't be shocked when civilization divorces you by putting you in prison. Your rights hit a brick wall the moment you animate yourself to inflict your nonsense on others. Snap out of it or hear the rack a round sound. Your choice. There is no defense left you when you're kicking black women in the belly and selling children crack. As citizen I owe THEM a defense, not you. I owe Powell the respect he has earned and as service member did uphold his authority to serve the higher calling we shared. Any man (or woman) exercising self discipline= oreo?

Denzel, Oprah, Cosby, Powell, Obama AND new immigrants of every color/ creed... all scrape your attitude off their shoes for a reason. You're a martian, you say? But it's the rest of us are 'dehumanizing' you???

Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Your arguments parallel the mavericky up by the boot straps self made supremacists to me. Strange how supremacists insert their thinking process into the mix and turn everything they touch into a cesspool.

You owe ME nothing? This country nothing? Every law enforcement officer on duty, every member of armed forces on duty this very moment?

How about we follow your thinking along to say you owe your mother NOTHING. If your date is backing away reaching for a can of mace don't wonder why.

Just don't be shocked when civilization divorces you by putting you in prison.

There is no defense left you when you're kicking black women in the belly and selling children crack.

As citizen I owe THEM a defense, not you. Any man (or woman) exercising self discipline= oreo?
What in the hell are you even talking about? Sheesh.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario
Actually, this country would never have gone from colony to super power (which in itself is a dubious honor) had it not been for centuries of uncompensated and undercompensated labor - the latter of which is still happening - from Africans and their descendants.

Hmmm... serious question ... is that really true? If black slavery was never adopted, would America be a backwater province of the British empire? Exploitation of the poor is pretty much the economic model of the world.... would indentured servants or extremely low paid laborers of any color have not been enough to keep the crops growing?

And did the wealth of the individual plantation owners really flow through the economy THAT much? Seeing as how so few owned the majority of slaves and resources. Does Nike's exploitation of Asian factory workers make the United States a richer place? Or does it primarily just enrich the shareholders and owners of the company even more?

Canada seems to be doing OK without slavery in its past...

Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hmmm... serious question ... is that really true? If black slavery was never adopted, would America be a backwater province of the British empire? Exploitation of the poor is pretty much the economic model of the world.... would indentured servants or extremely low paid laborers of any color have not been enough to keep the crops growing?

And did the wealth of the individual plantation owners really flow through the economy THAT much? Seeing as how so few owned the majority of slaves and resources. Does Nike's exploitation of Asian factory workers make the United States a richer place? Or does it primarily just enrich the shareholders and owners of the company even more?

Canada seems to be doing OK without slavery in its past...
No one said that it would be a backwater. What he's saying is that uncompensated and undercompensated labor had a tremendous part in building up this country so fast.

And that's a fact jack.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Yeah, I've always wondered that, also. If a white kid is born in, say, Johannesburg, or perhaps Cape Town, and his family moves to the US, is that kid and the family as a whole still considered "African-American"?
South-African-American LMAO

Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
No one said that it would be a backwater. What he's saying is that uncompensated and undercompensated labor had a tremendous part in building up this country so fast.

And that's a fact jack.
Well of course it contributed. I'm just challenging any idea that slavery was NECESSARY or requisite for that rapid development! Under a non-slave system, the conditions, political climate, geography and technology was all the right mixture for rapid development. Slavery was most beneficial to the pockets of the individual owners of same.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well of course it contributed. I'm just challenging any idea that slavery was NECESSARY or requisite for that rapid development! Under a non-slave system, the conditions, political climate, geography and technology was all the right mixture for rapid development. Slavery was most beneficial to the pockets of the individual owners of same.
It was quite beneficial to the whole country. I'm not backing away from that. Slavery in Georgia was just as beneficial to the guy in Georgia as it was to the guy in Minnesota.

Of course, you're right....it wasn't NECESSARY, but that's here nor there. It happened, and the contribution was meaningful and very, very beneficial to this nation. As for the undercompensation, same deal. Hell, that may have been even MORE beneficial.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The same for me, and I am as black as Barack Obama.

Actually, this country would never have gone from colony to super power (which in itself is a dubious honor) had it not been for centuries of uncompensated and undercompensated labor - the latter of which is still happening - from Africans and their descendants.
You mean Black Americans.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It was quite beneficial to the whole country. I'm not backing away from that. Slavery in Georgia was just as beneficial to the guy in Georgia as it was to the guy in Minnesota.
I disagree. In today's economy, for example, migrant workers paid $2.00/hour certainly benefits the end user of the products (marginally) who get cheaper lettuce, etc., but the true benefit is felt by the farm owner. The rest of society has to shoulder the intangible costs of profit making by the farmer (thousands per year in school enrollment fees for a migrant's children, healthcare, etc.).

Considering the hundreds of billions+ $, lives lost, wars fought and social and continuing economic "costs" and legacy of the slave system, I'd say any "benefits" have been erased (or at least severely diminished) by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
Of course, you're right....it wasn't NECESSARY, but that's here nor there. It happened, and the contribution was meaningful and very, very beneficial to this nation. As for the undercompensation, same deal. Hell, that may have been even MORE beneficial.

I sometimes wonder if slavery wasn't less economically viable than paying prevailing wages would have been. For a lot of slavers it was probably an ego thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies