Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:53 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,105,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope, workers have no right to offend customers. Unions are a scourge, that are a good part of the reason our schools are failing.

By the way unions will not allow teachers to be judged on the very criteria you suggest.
So basically a worker's first amendment rights can be terminated by an employer, or the worker can lose his/her job?

Like thats a real choice, especially in this economy.

What about during off hours, an employee might be seen by a customer outside of the business wearing a shirt the customer doesn't like or seen in a gay pride parade or a protest and the customer doesn't like that and the customer chooses not to return to that business because of it.

This teacher was not sermonizing in the classroom, she was hired based on her ability to do a job. According to the story, she would still be doing her job if not fired for this petty reason. She owns the car, not the school, and she gets to school before the students and leaves after them. I'm betting that most of the students wouldn't have known it was her car unless she was a coach or in charge of some after school activity. the car should be hers to decorate as she chooses unless the school wants to buy it for her.

You're on a nice slippery slope. can't wait to see what rights you want to strip from workers next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:19 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So basically a worker's first amendment rights can be terminated by an employer, or the worker can lose his/her job.
Absolutely, you have no first amendment rights at work. Suppose you think a particular product your company sells isn't very good and you exercise your first amendment rights and tell a customer your opinion, you will most certainly be fired.

Quote:
What about during off hours, an employee might be seen by a customer outside of the business wearing a shirt the customer doesn't like or seen in a gay pride parade or a protest and the customer doesn't like that and the customer chooses not to return to that business because of it.
It depends. Suppose you have a facebook page and you exercise your frist amendment rights and post derogatory things about your boss. You can be fired.

Your example is a little different, the school could fire her but probably wouldn't as that would not be reasonable. However parking a car on school property with poltical slogans could easily be viewed by customers. Again, think about a car parked by an employee in an abortion providers parking lot covered with abortion is murder stickers. The provider would have every right to fire them.

Quote:
This teacher was not sermonizing in the classroom, she was hired based on her ability to do a job. According to the story, she would still be doing her job if not fired for this petty reason. She owns the car, not the school, and she gets to school before the students and leaves after them. I'm betting that most of the students wouldn't have known it was her car unless she was a coach or in charge of some after school activity. the car should be hers to decorate as she chooses unless the school wants to buy it for her.

You're on a nice slippery slope. can't wait to see what rights you want to strip from workers next.

It doesn't matter if the teacher is sermonizing or not. if the teachers actions offend the schools customers, the school has a right to ask the teacher to alter her actions or be fired. There is no slippery slope here, this is well established.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Perhaps if there were one or two bumper stickers, or how ever many could be tastefully accommodated on the actual bumper rather than slapped all over the car, this might not be so bad. As such the stickers send an unbalanced impression no matter how well intentioned she believes her “messages” to be. She has the right to her expression and the school has the right to hire people they feel fit in a balanced society. When one enters the workforce these days one suspends ones rights and freedoms. Hooray for corporate America!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Perhaps if there were one or two bumper stickers, or how ever many could be tastefully accommodated on the actual bumper rather than slapped all over the car, this might not be so bad. As such the stickers send an unbalanced impression no matter how well intentioned she believes her “messages†to be. She has the right to her expression and the school has the right to hire people they feel fit in a balanced society. When one enters the workforce these days one suspends ones rights and freedoms. Hooray for corporate America!

Actually she doesn't have a right to her expression at school. This is nothing new, and has nothing to do with corporate America.

Freedom Of Speech In The Workplace: The First Amendment Revisited (http://library.findlaw.com/2003/sep/30/133065.html - broken link)

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Anyone who puts (negative) stickers all over a car like that is nuts . Good for Arizona , thank goodness she is not from a state that has to keep her .
A bumper sticker that says, "Coexist" is negative? From all of the bumperstickers that I could read not a single one espoused hate or violence, so I fail to see how they are "negative".

What about that constitution the so called conservatives are constantantly screaming about?

The rules that apply for one, apply for all.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
anyone who drives a prius and covers their car with ignorant bumper stikers better not be teaching my kids. What a *******, and people wonder whats wrong with this country...
I know, I know, God! Why would anyone want their child to be taught by a teacher with a Coexist bumper sticker?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
A bumper sticker that says, "Coexist" is negative? From all of the bumperstickers that I could read not a single one espoused hate or violence, so I fail to see how they are "negative".

What about that constitution the so called conservatives are constantantly screaming about?

The rules that apply for one, apply for all.

Uggh, no they don't.

Freedom Of Speech In The Workplace: The First Amendment Revisited (http://library.findlaw.com/2003/sep/30/133065.html - broken link)

And they shouldn't. would it be ok for an employee to tell customers a product stinks? Should their job be protected?

It has always been this way, it is remarkable what the left simply doesn't know!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I bet in that same school kids can't wear articles of clothing with any "messages" on them.
That may be true but give her the opportunity to park off campus before just firing her. I am sure the kids would get a warning.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,349,017 times
Car stickers, not bumber are extreeme and are passive aggressive teaching technique IMHO!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Anyone who puts (negative) stickers all over a car like that is nuts . Good for Arizona , thank goodness she is not from a state that has to keep her .
Negative?????? Like "I'm already against the next war"?

Well they say that war is good for the economy, and now on the tail end of the longest war in the history of this country, tell me how that is working
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies