Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Sorry, private school; right to work and all. I hope it hurts enrollment though. She seems very professional.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/791245979001
She is paid to teach, not bring in her political crap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
And it's the "most" I'm taking issue with.

Do you have any proof that "most" liberal teachers inject their political views in their teaching, regardless of subject?

Today, in Madison, Wisconsin:

Shocking Vid: Wis. HS Students Admit Teachers Bringing Them to Protests but Don‘t Know Why They’re There | The Blaze

Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should ANY employer have any say in what your political, social or religious ideas happen to be? They hired you to do a job and should NEVER have any more right than the government to control your thoughts or their expression. This is a very illustrative example of the social and economic control the Right Wing thinks is proper. Freedom of Speech applies only to them and their fellow travelers. Everyone is free to say or display what they want on the street or in the parking lot.

IMHO Employers can only control an employee in the workplace. Not in the parking lot. I mean how do you feel about an employer firing a worker because the worker has a deer rifle in his pickup truck? Not so nice when this kind of discrimination is used on you
My problem with this one, Greg. os that she has all those negative signs and then says that she wants to teach her kids to think a certain way which would be, according to her, allowing them to think any direction. I doubt that she was nearly as free thinking as she says and that when asked by the kids, as she surely would be with that crap on the car, she probably threw support for anti-war etc.

I hope when she takes those things off some of the paint job comes with them. Bumper stickers are made for bumpers. She may be a very reckless driver if her whole car is bumper.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Why is it that nobody knows how to spell "lose?"
I know how to spell lose and I also know what loose means. I am somebody so you just took in too much ground with that question.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Unless she did something really inappropriate in class, I don't think she should be fired either. On a side note, I will say that liberals are pretty intolerant. I wonder how many liberals who are upset about this woman being fired would be ok with a teacher showing up with birther, klan, anti gay, etc bumper stickers.
I think both of us know the answer to your question. Now lts see them attempt to make us liars.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:32 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Okay.

Now, provide proof of what I asked for, instead of isolated incidents.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Some English teacher, she split an infinitive and used 'impact' as a transitive verb in her interview.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Okay.

School Buses Students to Vote, Gives Them Democrat-Only Sample Ballot - FoxNews.com

Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Okay.

The proof I speak of would be a study regarding the majority of teachers in America and how their political leanings affect their teaching.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Anyone who puts (negative) stickers all over a car like that is nuts . Good for Arizona , thank goodness she is not from a state that has to keep her .
The only one I could read was "I'm Already Against the Next War," since the producers were trying not to show the messages on the bumper stickers due to copywrite laws or an unwillingness to provide free advertising. I cannot think of a more positive sentiment than this one; it is not negative to want to stop spending taxpayer dollars waging multiple unwinnable, senseless foreign wars.

Any taxpaying American citizen should have personal views on anything and everything, since this is a basic constitutional right. However, a teacher should limit classroom time to teaching actual subject matter. Unless something is being left out of the story, there was really no reason to fire this teacher for simply having bumper stickers on her car. If she were to use school time to promote political or personal views, that would be wrong--though typically you issue a warning rather than outright firing.

The one case where bumper stickers should lead to an investigation (of whether the teacher was actually using teaching time to promote views that were not part of an approved curriculum) would be if the teacher was a Creationist or similar group. The reason for the red flag here is due to the connection between religious fanaticism and proselytizing (it is inherent in many religions that the believer MUST try to recruit others).

Teachers are hired by the taxpayer and paid very well, with extremely generous benefits, in return for about 1/2 the working hours required of a similar-paying job in the private sector nowadays (and if we didn't have such an over-supply of labor since the 1970s, private workers would also be getting a good deal, instead of just paying obscene taxes so that public workers can retire relatively rich). In return for their generous compensation and light work hours, teachers have a responsibility to use the time they have with students to teach the subjects they are accredited in (and the "Education Major" that is automatically allowed to teach any subject, when they have demonstrated knowledge of none, is simply ridiculous).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies