Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM

256 posts, read 216,451 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people mentioning that the firing is against First Amendment rights. That is absolutely not correct. The First Amendment only protects people from having the Government suppress you, not other people or your employer. The EEOC itself does not protect political views, they only protect "race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information".

In point of fact, many companies will fire you for activities that you engage in outside of work. They can even use your own postings on social networking sites against you. If you post "My manager sucks bigtime" on Twitter, prepare to find another job.

Say what you will (as long as it isn't slanderous). But also keep in mind that your words can have consequences, including being fired from your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM

716 posts, read 1,120,087 times
Her car is her personal property, so the school has no business telling her what she can and can't put on it. On the other hand, I could see them telling her not to park it on school property. It would be the same as if her car was an eyesore.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Her car is her personal property, so the school has no business telling her what she can and can't put on it.
You're right. She cannot be criminally prosecuted for what she puts on her car. We're in agreement.

Quote:
On the other hand, I could see them telling her not to park it on school property. It would be the same as if her car was an eyesore.
The main problem was the "medicate children" bumpersticker. The news team made it seem like they were firing her for being too progressive. At first blush, this is what I thought too.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You're right. She cannot be criminally prosecuted for what she puts on her car. We're in agreement.

The main problem was the "medicate children" bumpersticker. The news team made it seem like they were firing her for being too progressive. At first blush, this is what I thought too.
That's what she wanted to get across as well.

BTW since when did "teaching the kids to think critically on controversial issues" become a part of English curriculum?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Default And the answer is -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I Imagine if this was a teacher with 60 Conservative bumper stickers on his Hummer H3. Would you still feel his termination was unfair? Objectively, they should both be held to the same standard.
Yes

Old 02-16-2011, 10:06 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
First and foremost, its a private school so legally they should be able to do what they want.

On a personal, ethical note, a private school is generally known for certain values and that is what the parents are looking for when they decide to go the extra mile and drive their kids further, pay out of pocket, etc. For example, parents who choose a Catholic School are generally looking for Christian values vs. parents who choose the Harvey Milk Academy in San Francisco who are probably looking for more left-leaning, pro-homosexuality values. If this teacher had her car that she drove to school covered in 60+ controversial stickers that obviously offended some or most of the parents, and if she were given and ignored warnings to remove them, in my opinion, then this private school had every moral as well as legal right to terminate her because she is flaunting her own oppositional values.

BTW, I'm curious if this was an Elementary, Jr. High or High School. Might make some difference in my personal opinion of whether or not I would be a parent who would complain. But, the fact that she was an English Teacher would not have any bearing in my mind, because it is a well known fact that activist teachers can and do take advantage of English Literature to indoctrinate students of all ages into their social/political beliefs.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
One reason why private schools consistently outperform public schools is their ability to run their affairs, for the most part, without the DoE and state/municipal constraints.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Obviously there is much more to the story. Private schools rarely take such type of action unless there has been a complaint by parents.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Imagine if this was a teacher with 60 Conservative bumper stickers on his Hummer H3.
Eek, if that had happened we would be looking at the death penalty for sure.

No appeals either.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I doubt she'll be successful in court either. The school can just make the case that they feared her heavily biased opinions trickled down into her daily teachings.
Of which they can put her under observation instead of outright firing.

What that teacher does in their own time is only relevant to how they perform on the job if it has been proven to affect it.

If the school can show that her political leanings have affected her teaching in an overtly negative manner that requires termination, then sure, I can see it as being fair. Otherwise, I can't.

However, it's a private school, so that's their right to terminate her. Whether or not the reason for doing so is idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies