Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So, if a conservative teacher had something anti-Obama on their bumper and got fired you would be just fine with that? Yeah, and hell just froze over and pigs fly.
Casper
there's a school near where I work, where a f150 has Obama-hate related stickers on it. Since 2009. A car that parks next to it has a "I didn't vote for the plant" .

Who cares what adults put on their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:03 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Had her bumper stickers been just on her bumper, I don't think there would have been a problem. That's why they're called "bumper" stickers. Who puts bumper stickers on the sides and roof of their car like that, unless they're purposely seeking confrontation?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
there's a school near where I work, where a f150 has Obama-hate related stickers on it. Since 2009. A car that parks next to it has a "I didn't vote for the plant" .

Who cares what adults put on their cars.
It is their right to look like morons in public and I have no problem with them do so. Personally I do not put stickers on my cars, I aways thought it kinda childish, but to each their own.
Casper

Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
Funny that she has a "no whining" sticker yet she has tons of other bumper stickers on her car. Isn't this a form of whining? Pretty ironic.

Anyway, while I am a Republican and probably disagree with most of her beliefs, I feel that if she is performing her teaching duties adequately and professionally, she should be allowed to stay.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
This is ridiculous, she is just a passionate girl, nothing wrong with that!
I bet in that same school kids can't wear articles of clothing with any "messages" on them.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should ANY employer have any say in what your political, social or religious ideas happen to be? They hired you to do a job and should NEVER have any more right than the government to control your thoughts or their expression. This is a very illustrative example of the social and economic control the Right Wing thinks is proper. Freedom of Speech applies only to them and their fellow travelers. Everyone is free to say or display what they want on the street or in the parking lot.

IMHO Employers can only control an employee in the workplace. Not in the parking lot. I mean how do you feel about an employer firing a worker because the worker has a deer rifle in his pickup truck? Not so nice when this kind of discrimination is used on you

I disagree. Employers are under no obligation to keep employees who offend their customers, regardless of their skill. I don't think an abortion provider would be obliged to keep an employee who had their car plastered with abortion is murder stickers, parked in the clinic parking lot.

IMHO, the parking lot is the work place. At the very least I think thisshows poor judgement on the teachers part.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Perhaps she has a case then. Does she have a fund set up yet to push civil charges? The school would have to show that she used her progressive leanings in the classroom, or they could (rightfully) be held liable for wrongful termination.

Just because I don't like her politics doesn't mean I think she should be let go.

She has zero case. The school can fire her for pretty much any reason, or no reason.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
I really can't understand this. Why do people have to make ridiculous generalizations all the time? Can't issues be discussed without the stereotyping?

You're kidding right?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
She has zero case. The school can fire her for pretty much any reason, or no reason.
Which is why teachers need unions.

Were her kids passing the state test? A teacher is hired to teach and get kids to pass the state test. if she was doing her job, she should not be fired mid year.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Which is why teachers need unions.

Were her kids passing the state test? A teacher is hired to teach and get kids to pass the state test. if she was doing her job, she should not be fired mid year.

Nope, workers have no right to offend customers. Unions are a scourge, that are a good part of the reason our schools are failing.

By the way unions will not allow teachers to be judged on the very criteria you suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies