Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was at Barnes & Noble book store and I was sitting across from 2 "trashy" looking white guys. They looked to be in their early 20's.

They were using slang and simply talking about NOTHING worth talking about nor listening to.

Here's what discussed me. These 2 white guys were calling each other.......NI-GGA!

I was like......

I dislike the use of any form of the word. I just don't like the word nor it's variations. The only reason why these two guys were using the word is probably because they hang around poor, ignorant blacks that allow them to use it.

I do understand that whites started the use of the word ni-gger and whites still use the word but not as nearly as much as you hear SOME blacks use the word ni-gga. Whites can't even compete when it comes to whom uses the word the most. Blacks have won that race by a long shot.

I'm talking about the use of the word in public, open conversation. I hear blacks use it like it's no big deal.

I blame blacks for this. Blacks have a serious problem with self esteem, no question about it. Now you have white guys copying the same ignorance first started by whites, continued by blacks and now it appears, to be continued by both blacks and whites.

When will it stop? Blacks whom use any variation of the word should be ashamed. This does not mean whites get a free pass. They don't and they know it. I'd go as far as saying most whites KNOW BETTER than to use the word in public.

Why would a group of people that have experienced what blacks have experienced in this country continue to support the kind of behavior that caused nothing but pain and suffering in the past?

When was the last time that you saw a Jewish kid wearing a swastika? You haven't and you never will.

Sure whites did start the use of the word ni-gger but I give them credit, at least many of them have enough sense to know it's no longer acceptable to use the word.

PS-In case you want to know, yes, I am black.

Last edited by Ron.; 02-16-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
I'm with you, Ron. I would like nothing more than for that word to completely drop from usage - by anyone.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Yesterday I was at Barnes & Noble book store and I was sitting across from 2 "trashy" looking white guys. They looked to be in their early 20's.

They were using slang and simply talking about NOTHING worth talking about nor listening to.

Here's what discussed me. These 2 white guys were calling each other.......NI-GGA!

I was like......

I dislike the use of any form of the word. I just don't like the word nor it's variations. The only reason why these two guys were using the word is probably because they hang around poor, ignorant blacks that allow them to use it.

I do understand that whites started the use of the word ni-gger and whites still use the word but not as nearly as much as you hear SOME blacks use the word ni-gga. Whites can't even compete when it comes to whom uses the word the most. Blacks have won that race by a long shot.

I'm talking about the use of the word in public, open conversation. I hear blacks use it like it's no big deal.

I blame blacks for this. Blacks have a serious problem with self esteem, no question about it. Now you have white guys copying the same ignorance first started by whites, continued by blacks and now it appears, to be continued by both blacks and whites.

When will it stop? Blacks whom use any variation of the word should be ashamed. This does not mean whites get a free pass. They don't and they know it. I'd go as far as saying most whites KNOW BETTER than to use the word in public.

Why would a group of people that have experienced what blacks have experienced in this country continue to support the kind of behavior that caused nothing but pain and suffering in the past?

When was the last time that you saw a Jewish kid wearing a swastika? You haven't and you never will.

Sure whites did start the use of the word ni-gger but I give them credit, at least many of them have enough sense to know it's no longer acceptable to use the word.

The word the most nuanced word in American culture it means different things depending on who uses it, who they are speaking to, the context in which it was used and a variety of other factors.

It two white people are using the word with EACH OTHER then it don't see where the intent is offend a Black person.

Personally I'm over the "N" word. I think we should bring it out in the open. If a White person chooses to use the "N" word in a disparging manner to a Black American you pretty much know where that person stands. Right now a lot of people may think the "N" word but that don't use it. If people were allowed to use it freely we could bring a lot of racial animosity out in the open and deal with it instead of hiding behind political correctness.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:

I was like......

*SIGH*

Most blacks don't use the term either....don't forget to mention that. It's used primarily by a subset of black folks...mostly young people. The only time i use the term is around other black folks and they understand the role it plays in casual intra-black conversations. I don't use it around white folks because i don't want them to get the idea that they can toss it around casually....not because i don't feel they don't have the right to say it. It's a free country. No word is verboten as far as i'm concerned. I don't see it as a big deal, but there are other blacks that i know that aint having it, and i wouldn't want a white person to say it around them.

It's odd that you say that you're black, but these guys were using the 'n' word around you like it was nothing, huh? That's very odd.

In any case, the swastika and the 'n' word are two different things. I don't see them as analogous. Now if you were to say that you saw a black person carrying a Confederate Flag, that would be analogous to a Jew wearing a swastika.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,306 times
The N word is not the probem. The problem is people getting worked up over a word ... demanding apologies, resignations, boycotts, assaulting or threatening to assault anyone who dares to use a word that self appointed authorities have declared off limits for some people but not for others. If the N word were to magically disappear the same people would find another forbidden word to be angry about. Words can be offensive, but so what? Being offended is not an excuse for out of control anger or unreasonable demands. The reactions to the N word say more about the offended parties than one word could ever say.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:

I was like......

I wonder if those guys would continue to use that word if a couple dudes the size of Lebron James walked up near them.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:

I was like......

I agree. I would also like to ban redneck, cracker, etc. Why is one word n ot OK and these are?

Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
I agree with poster above, why is one word acceptable over another. Some words use usually only show ignorance. Honestly i do have many relly good back friends, and they too are confused as to what people should call them, they said that they themselves blacks have done this, them talking not me.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
I can't speak for all white folks, but terms like "redneck" or "cracker" don't bother me. I can't say the same for a lot of black folks I know. The "N" word seems to be much more defamatory, IMO.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
I was out and about shopping and two young Asian guys were referring to either other as the N-word. I gave them "the stare". They looked embarrassed....however, I doubt that will change their behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies