Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times

Advertisements

Even scumbag Mexican gangbangers use the word. I have heard it often in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Use your imagination....then triple it.
What exactly do you mean? You are going to shoot someone over a word? I just cant' possibly see what else it could mean.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
redneck, cracker, etc... They are still meant to offend, so the connotation is the same. To cause offence verbally. To treat with disdain.
Not the same thing. Sorry.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
I've been all over Latin America and negro is a widely used word like any other. What you are gonna send the 5th fleet to suppress usage of negro? Negro is actually pretty neutral in terms of race references. There are much 'less nicer' words you could worry about. They are all part of language part of all the cultures outside the US.
Do you understand the subtleties and contexts of the way the word is used there? Sometimes it is a term of endearment, sometimes a descriptive term, and sometimes pejorative.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,306 times
"Use your imagination....then triple it."
I was figuring your internet tough guy boasts were at least 33.3% BS but I will revise that per your instructions desertdetroiter.
I don't like the N word by the way. It bothers me that whenever this subject is debated on the internet there are threats of violence. That kind of talk feeds into negative stereotypes about blacks. Is that your intention?
You never hear someone say "I'd like to see you try using the N word in (insert black neighborhood here) .... you will be called every name in the book in return!" It's always an implied threat of a beating or worse. I don't hear gays, Jew, Asians or other commonly insulted people making those type of remarks.
Do you think the attitude that violence is a natural response to a verbal insult might explain the homicides, shootings, assaults that occur at such a high rate in black areas?
People will always say rude, offensive things. Escalating the situation leads to more anger, fights. Anger leads to poor health, heart problems etc. not to mention the ER room, jail and the cemetery. It's hard to believe a 45 year old hasn't figured that out yet.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
"Use your imagination....then triple it."
I was figuring your internet tough guy boasts were at least 33.3% BS but I will revise that per your instructions desertdetroiter.
I don't like the N word by the way. It bothers me that whenever this subject is debated on the internet there are threats of violence. That kind of talk feeds into negative stereotypes about blacks. Is that your intention?
With people like you, there is nothing anyone could do that wouldn't feed into negative stereotypes about blacks. When it is pointed out that one of the top-achieving Americans of our time - the POTUS - happens to be black, he is either attacked for spurious reasons, he is thought of as a very special exception, or his very blackness is disputed or denied. There is nothing any of us can do to change the opinions of such individuals.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,306 times
Very untrue Lucario. I voted for Obama and my vote had nothing to do with his race. I preferred him over McCain for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what you mean "people like you" That sounds pretty close to "you people" which upsets some people almost as much as the N word (but not people like you I'm sure)
The truth is there is a lot of resentment towards blacks that is caused by fear whether it's fair or not. That fear is partly based on violent stereotypes perpetuated by blacks who enjoy scaring whitey as described by Elridge Cleaver in Soul on Ice, various gangster rappers and internet posters. It's also based on media reports and people's real life experiences.
When we have that National Conversation About Race I hope that this fear can be discussed openly and honestly. It's not just a fear of physical violence but also psychological fear caused by intimidation tactics like disrespectful shouting, foul language, threats and aggressive body language. What is the advantage of promoting this kind of image? A few black entertainers and celebrities get rich and that's about it.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
When it is pointed out that one of the top-achieving Americans of our time of our time - the POTUS
That is an opinion of yours. It is not shared by a huge number of people.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
That is an opinion of yours. It is not shared by a huge number of people.
Enough to get him elected.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
Very untrue Lucario. I voted for Obama and my vote had nothing to do with his race. I preferred him over McCain for a number of reasons. I'm not sure what you mean "people like you"
Glad you voted for Obama. Means you've got sense. As for "people like you" I was referring to those who see blacks as this big amorphous amoebic collective for whom the action of one, be it real or perceived, is indicative of the thoughts, characteristics and values of all. Sounds like we're the Borg or something.

Quote:
That sounds pretty close to "you people" which upsets some people almost as much as the N word (but not people like you I'm sure)
Context, my brother. Context.

Quote:
The truth is there is a lot of resentment towards blacks that is caused by fear whether it's fair or not.
So why don't you care whether or not it's fair?

Quote:
That fear is partly based on violent stereotypes perpetuated by blacks who enjoy scaring whitey as described by Elridge Cleaver in Soul on Ice, various gangster rappers and internet posters. It's also based on media reports and people's real life experiences.
If you want to go there, I would say to you that if anyone should be scared of anyone in this country, it's blacks that should be fearing whites. We've got hundreds of years of people's real life experiences on which to base those fears.

Quote:
When we have that National Conversation About Race I hope that this fear can be discussed openly and honestly. It's not just a fear of physical violence but also psychological fear caused by intimidation tactics like disrespectful shouting, foul language, threats and aggressive body language. What is the advantage of promoting this kind of image? A few black entertainers and celebrities get rich and that's about it.
Hell, let's get started on the conversation right now. I've been ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies