Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Spoken like a person who has obviously never stepped foot into a classroom as a teacher.

Yeah, because it is an objective appraisal of the situation. It is clear from their actions in Wisconsin, the union has become unhinged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yeah, because it is an objective appraisal of the situation. It is clear from their actions in Wisconsin, the union has become unhinged.
Oh really? Then why haven't the teachers turned against this "unhinged" union? The Republicans have the power. All the teachers would have to do is support the Republicans and have the unions quashed.

Non-teachers just don't get it.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Oh really? Then why haven't the teachers turned against this "unhinged" union? The Republicans have the power. All the teachers would have to do is support the Republicans and have the unions quashed.

Non-teachers just don't get it.

Because they are acting in their own interest, they don't want to contribute to their benefits. They don't care about the people of Wisconsin.

Actually teachers don't get it. Out here in the real world the economy stinks we all have tightened our belts and it is time for teachers to do the same.

Republicans don't have all the power voters do, and they elected the Republicans. Why do the Dems hate the Democratic process?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:53 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,450 times
Quote:
Of course wealth has left. I got it right you choose not to believe it. that is ok, some will never be convinced by facts.

It's nice you think they can afford to pay more, they may disagree with you and vote with their feet, like in NJ.

Do you think teacher have bad salaries and benefits? Teachers are faring better than the folks who are paying their salaries, they have better benefits and are not subject to meeting quality standards. Lousey teachers and good teachers are thrown treated the same, nice racket.

If you really want to attract good teachers allow competition. You think the unions will ever allow that? They have no interest in doing what is in the best interest of the community or the kids. They have one focus, money.
What are you talking about? If the wealth left EXPLAIN how there was an INCREASE in the PERCENTAGE of people making over 500k? Or how there was a NET INCREASE of $28 Billion over the decade. That's what happened. You are right, some people aren't convinced by facts. I just so happen to like facts and not fantasy.

I am the product of a teacher's salary. I am saving up money to get my masters in ed.

If you want to attract talent ALLOW for better wages and benefits. The union is ensuring that btw, in case you haven't noticed.

The biggest reason for teachers not staying in inner city schools is because they feel the compensation doesn't match the work. I agree.

Most teachers aren't lousy. Again, this is a matter of perception. My favorite teacher was called a lousy teacher by my best friend's parents. Teaching to a test isn't the greatest either, esp. in poorer districts.

If you really think that teachers only have one focus, money...you're sorely mistaken.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Yo dude,who you talkin to. My younger sister is 52 and travels from LI to inner city NY to teach 5 days a week.No freakin union they wont touch that stuff. they aint tough enough! she has been in the news,testified before congress and is a real life charactor in a bestselling book. My daughter is a teacher in WY no union and doing quite well.PS Thanks for calling me a liar. shows you will say anything to prove you are fake and cant prove a point with facts have a nice fake life
I'm talking to you. You're welcome, I only state my observations. I stated facts, not my problem if you haven't and are relying on a "true" story. BTW, there are public schools in inner city NYC, thus unions. Fake Life? Hey, I'm not the one creating stories of no unions in inner city New York...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
They can just raise the state income tax and let the taxpayers fund the pensions and healthcare of the teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Yes it is, I have worked at multiple fortune 500 companies within healthcare, ...a problem is we have to many politicians and policy wonk want a bees who aren't qualified to lead or make decisions...they also do what you suggested, make it hard to read....they pander to their constitutents and the masses swallow hook line and sinker...
So why should we burden individual teachers with trying to meagerly negotiate with employers? A group of teachers has more sway. Thus is more effective. Collectively they can get the best deals, instead of getting screwed.

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
................Republicans don't have all the power voters do, and they elected the Republicans. Why do the Dems hate the Democratic process?
Liberals only hate the Democratic process when they are not in control. When they get their way everything is peachy and you can just pass the bill into law to find out what is in it. However, when a Gov. campaigns on fiscal responsibility and states flat out that he will expect state employees to contribute more to their benefits, and gets elected, they throw a temper tantrum.

I have all the respect in the world for good educators who do not use their students as bargaining chips and protestors. I have all the respect in the world for teachers and legislature working within the system to voice their grievences.

I have no respect for teachers who cause schools to shut down by lying about being "sick" and dragging their students out to protest with them.

I have no respect for legislatures who abdicate their responsibility of voting on an issue and also violate their sworn oaths, just because they suspect they will lose when the cvotes are tallied.

Shameful of the legislators, shameful on the unions/teachers, shameful on the DNC for shippin in protestors, and shameful of Obama who chose to stir the pot through his words and his website. Instead of a Reagan moment he chose to use his bully pulpit to damage the states. Completely unacceptable.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,544 times
It's funny teachers feel they are above and better then who pays them, thats their 1st mistake. Alot of schools in the north woods are closed tomm. because they feel the kids are so important.

It is their union who put them in this position, I believe by design.

This state is BROKE and raising my taxes AGAIN is not the answer. I've had to change my lifestyle to fit the budget the dem. controlled state put us in also by design.

The only people who agreed with lowering my standard of living were the Democrats and that rein of HELL is over!!!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
So why should we burden individual teachers with trying to meagerly negotiate with employers? A group of teachers has more sway. Thus is more effective. Collectively they can get the best deals, instead of getting screwed.
Unionized teachers still maintain their collective bargaining for their salaries, just not for their benefits. Their extras are tied to the voters' consent. How is this screwing them specifically? Please explain rather than dodging the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies