Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The teachers are proving that it is FAR from "about educating our children". If that were the case, their butts would be in their classrooms teaching. And if it's not about politics, why is the DNC and Obama getting involved?
To the Teachers, Nurses, Firemen, City and County workers, etc., it's primarily the collective bargaining rights. Some of them for the money. To the Gov and Repubs in the Legislature, it's about the politics. To the Dems in the Legislature, it's about the politics. To the other ancillary support groups, it's about the politics. To the news networks, it's about the news. To MSNBC and FOX, it's about the politics. That pretty much sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
just saw the cBS news coverage of it and they had teachers who were actually circulating a petition to allow them to get paid even though they aren't at work. If that doesn't pi$$ you off then you need to just leave the country right now. I don't care how brainwashed you are, that's just straight up BS. Everyone in the world knows they aren't sick, so they damn sure shouldn't get paid. If I was a resident of that state, I would be over there cracking some skulls right now. I don't know how the residents can tolerate this much.

edit- forgot to mention the doctors that were willingly handing out fake forms saying the person was sick. They didn't go into the details (surprised they even mentioned it), so I don't know if they were real doctors. I'm guessing they aren't because that's not ethical or legal at all. However, if they were, they need to lose their license immediately. How do all these fools think they are above the law? seriously...

Old 02-19-2011, 04:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Above map=education spending per state

Below map=average ACT/SAT scores per state
Thanks for confirming that their is no correlation between money spent on education and outcomes.

This is further proven by the fact that we spend a huge amount on educaiton compared to other countres that beat the pants off of us.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Bottom line is, they will not accept their ability to collectively bargain for their rights to be legislated away. Collective bargaining is the whole purpose of a union. You remove that and there is no union. They will never accept this.
Repeating the lies again? Still doesn't make it true!

Intellectual honesty would require you admit that public employee union members affected by this bill retain their collective bargaining rights to their salaries. Their benefits would, under this bill, be tied to the cost of living index and any increases would be subjected to the approval of the voters who pay them (a.k.a. taxpayers).

The truth is that union benefits in the long run destroy the economic viability of the employer. In this case the employer is the taxpaying public.

Collective bargaining is not a "right". In fact, it is not a phenomina that showed up in the work sector of public school teachers until about 1980.

Collective bargaining removes taxpayer control over their own taxation. In otherwords, collective bargaining by public employee unions is tazation without representation upon the residents paying property taxes.

Collective bargaining is paramount to a whip used to lash the taxpaying slaves. It is that ugly of a bully's tool.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
And thank you for admiting the power currently resides with the union and not the people. You may be for a special interest to run our educational system. I prefer the people run the system.
But, but, that would be real democracy wouldn't it?

<sarc.>

Old 02-19-2011, 05:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
just saw the cBS news coverage of it and they had teachers who were actually circulating a petition to allow them to get paid even though they aren't at work. If that doesn't pi$$ you off then you need to just leave the country right now. I don't care how brainwashed you are, that's just straight up BS. Everyone in the world knows they aren't sick, so they damn sure shouldn't get paid. If I was a resident of that state, I would be over there cracking some skulls right now. I don't know how the residents can tolerate this much.

edit- forgot to mention the doctors that were willingly handing out fake forms saying the person was sick. They didn't go into the details (surprised they even mentioned it), so I don't know if they were real doctors. I'm guessing they aren't because that's not ethical or legal at all. However, if they were, they need to lose their license immediately. How do all these fools think they are above the law? seriously...
Because it's been happening over and over and over since 2007 when the wheels of the American economy started falling apart.

You've read about it in the papers...who went to jail ? Who lost their jobs ? You've read about homeowners not paying their mortgages and then just walking away because their homes lost value, not because they couldn't pay.

This is the new America...ethical ..out the window. legal..out the window.
People are making up their own rules now because that's what they've been seeing and reading in the MSM for almost 3 years now.
And there is strength in numbers. The more you have doing it the less likely any one person will go to jail over it.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
A government is a reflection of it's people.

You've seen and read about the corruption on Wall Street.
You've seen and read about the corruption on K Street.
Welcome to the corruption on Main Street.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Repeating the lies again? Still doesn't make it true!

Intellectual honesty would require you admit that public employee union members affected by this bill retain their collective bargaining rights to their salaries. Their benefits would, under this bill, be tied to the cost of living index and any increases would be subjected to the approval of the voters who pay them (a.k.a. taxpayers).

The truth is that union benefits in the long run destroy the economic viability of the employer. In this case the employer is the taxpaying public.

Collective bargaining is not a "right". In fact, it is not a phenomina that showed up in the work sector of public school teachers until about 1980.

Collective bargaining removes taxpayer control over their own taxation. In otherwords, collective bargaining by public employee unions is tazation without representation upon the residents paying property taxes.

Collective bargaining is paramount to a whip used to lash the taxpaying slaves. It is that ugly of a bully's tool.
Calling another poster dishonest? I believe that is against the TOS! The collective bargaining will only be retained for the teachers to bargain a pay increase up to the increase in the CPI. That seems to go against what all the RWs tell us about Econ 101; that every employer can and should bargain to get the highest salary they can.

I'm no expert on labor law, but I did a little google searching and once a union has been certified, it is a right for those employees.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:03 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The employees agreed to take all the wage cuts. There is no financial issue now. The governor wants to pretty much eliminate the employees right to bargain in any kind of legitimate way. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BUDGET.
NOT TRUE.

The bill would still allow collective bargaining for wages.
It simply asks for state employees to pony up 5.8% towards their pensions. This is up from 0.0%.
It also requires state employees to pony up 12.6% towards their health care. This is up from 6%.
Considering that most other states require HIGHER amounts from their employees, and workers in private industry have to contribute as much as 100% to their own pensions and health care, it is STILL A GOOD DEAL for the Wisconsin state workers.

When will you Union Dems finally figure out that the public-at-large is fully capable of seeing through the rhetoric and b.s. that you throw out.

Your emboldened sentence above is a out-right lie. You will still have collective bargaining on wages, which is significant. And you will be allowed cola increases up to the cpi number. That is better than what the majority of workers in the US get.

Stop spreading lies.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
NOT TRUE.

The bill would still allow collective bargaining for wages.
It simply asks for state employees to pony up 5.8% towards their pensions. This is up from 0.0%.
It also requires state employees to pony up 12.6% towards their health care. This is up from 6%.
Considering that most other states require HIGHER amounts from their employees, and workers in private industry have to contribute as much as 100% to their own pensions and health care, it is STILL A GOOD DEAL for the Wisconsin state workers.

When will you Union Dems finally figure out that the public-at-large is fully capable of seeing through the rhetoric and b.s. that you throw out.

Your emboldened sentence above is a out-right lie. You will still have collective bargaining on wages, which is significant. And you will be allowed cola increases up to the cpi number. That is better than what the majority of workers in the US get.

Stop spreading lies.
Just who is spreading lies? The gov. wants to allow collective bargaining only up to the increase in CPI. To me, this flies in the face of all the RWs who are so enamoured of private enterprise that they declare here on CD that every employee can negotiate with their employer for anything they want. Some go so far as to say if the employee doesn't get what s/he asks for, s/he is a doing a bad job, and/or should go somewhere else where s/he will get the pay s/he is asking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies