Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're missing the point, it was waste of money.
Your opinion on that issue is noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Your opinion on that issue is noted.
What's your opinion? Was this a wise way to spend $650M?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What's your opinion? Was this a wise way to spend $650M?
My opinion is that both Bush's TARP and Obama's Stimulus ended the recession.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
You're missing the point, it was waste of money.
How so? We can calculate waste if you can provide costs related to obesity.

Hint: Your number would be in hundred of billions of dollars every year. But I guess, it won't register as a waste to you?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:06 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,227,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
My opinion is that both Bush's TARP and Obama's Stimulus ended the recession.
That's fine, but I'm asking about a specific piece of the legislation. Was this $650M a wise use of the money considering the overall goal of the stimulus, or could it have been spent another way?

Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Default Each state received funds from the Recovery Act

So Life Long Missouri Gal,...

The money was awarded to the states and each state was responsible for how the money was used...

How did Missouri use the funds they got from the Recovery Act?

If jobs weren't created, who is responsible for that?

Transform Missouri | Transparency

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-23-2011 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How so? We can calculate waste if you can provide costs related to obesity.

Hint: Your number would be in hundred of billions of dollars every year. But I guess, it won't register as a waste to you?
..and again your totally missing the point. When I have to solve a problem I don't take the band aid approach. I go right to the root of the problem. The issue of obesity in kids is directly tied to the fact they don't exercise like they use too. Their lives are so regimented and other issues like the advent of the computer keep them in the house or occupied with something else and they never get a chance to exercise. If eating too much is the problem I'd have been a balloon when I was kid, the difference is I exercised. Every day primarily on my bicycle and nearly everyone I knew did the same. I can only remember one truly obese kid in my class and he had a medical problem, even he rode a bike everywhere.

If you're going to spend 650 million dollars on obesity advertising has to be the most wasteful way you could do it. You're not attacking the root of the problem and once the money is gone and campaign is over you're still going to have just as many fat kids as you did before. Do you really think and advertising campaign for a few weeks or months is going to be effective use of 650 million dollars?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
So, the individual states are the fat kids who are responsible for the fact that they didn't magically create jobs with the money they received from the Recovery Act ???

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-23-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
..and again your totally missing the point. When I have to solve a problem I don't take the band aid approach. I go right to the root of the problem. The issue of obesity in kids is directly tied to the fact they don't exercise like they use too...
And why do you assume that this doesn't include that, among a multitude of other issues that are adding to an obese populace?

Again, how much does obesity epidemic costing America?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Basically the stimulus was sold to congresss as a infrastruture bill that woulod creat millions of jobs and keep unemployemnt at or blow 8%. It was nothig of the sort. Thsoe shovel ready projects was really shovelig mney to public jobs to keep them doing wehat they were already being paid to do basically. Even the TARP funds were sold as first half to bailout the large banks that threatened to shut down the system and the second was left for Obama to use on the housig crisis. That also was diverted to thigns like the auto comapnies with a large share goig to the UAW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies