Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 02:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I agree.

edit: Do you also think the banking CEOs, who gamed the system every bit as much as this young couple, should be required to pay for their theivery??
The loan should be between the lender and the borrower. If the banks gave oiut money recklessly, then they should lose. But at the same time the banks should use whatever means within the law to get the borrower to repay, the bank is also responsible to it's shareholders.

The best thing would have been for loans to have continued to be given based on credit worthiness and a 10-20% down payment on the house. Yes it's a two-way street and neither side should be bailed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How would you get that underwater?

I guess you would get to keep all the lavish vacations and meals out and designer clothes and other luxuries you bought with all the second mortages you took out.

I can't really answer that question because I wouldn't use my home like an ATM to get underwater with my mortgage in the first place.

Easy; take your home equity out in a major loan to go buy a big Motorhome just prior to your retirement then realize a massive depreciation on the motorhome along with the economy going bust and add the 5 year sub-prime note you had suddenly maturing and now your mortagage payments are double or even triple.

You can't afford to put fuel in the Motorhome, mush less pay the insurance and other stuff that goes withowning one of those things. So now you're stuck with a motorhome you cannot sell or even give away and you've re-mortgaged your house up the ying-yang to fund all this stupidity.

A very common story with these high dollar RV's being dumped on consignment lots by the thousands to languish and rot while the owners go back to damage control over a house they probably had paid off before they went bonkers and jumped in the deep end to now face the specter of having to pay astronomical mortgage fees for a house that was free and clear. STUPID!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Once an asset becomes a liability,the smart business decision is to rid yourself of it.
A home is not an asset unless it's providing income or is paid for, it's a liability.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:03 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Not immaterial and unimportant. If these people could not honor their obligations they should never have signed the contract.
Gotta disagree with you here. A mortgage is a secured loan, the property being collateral. If the banks - who, after all, were supposed to be the professionals in this entire debacle - issued loans based on an overoptimistic estimation of the collateral's value, they made a poor decision.

It's right there in the contract: If you can't pay, the bank gets the house. Well, guess what happened. The borrowers couldn't pay, the bank got the house, everything went by the book. Perhaps the bank was the foolish party, here?

I'm not disagreeing that - as usual - it's us dumb-ass middle-class taxpayers who, once again, gets to pay the tab, and it's pretty infuriating. But I don't get the ire directed at people who actually live up to the contract - as in "Sorry, we're broke, here are the keys." I frankly think there was an entire industry who should've put the brakes on.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
A home is not an asset unless it's providing income or is paid for, it's a liability.
So once the liability becomes even more of one,it makes good business sense correct?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
When I bought my house, I was a first time home buyer, and only made a small down payment. And, a couple years later, I took out an equity loan to help my mom buy her house. So now, I still owe about 75% of the original purchase price.

Unfortunately, the property values in my neighborhood might have dropped more than 25%. The biggest reason for this drop in price being all of the nearby houses that have gone into foreclosure because people walked away... (I do have sympathy for those who ran into legitimate problems, and could no longer pay their mortgage)

Now, to complicate the issue, I recently bought a second home to restore and move into. I bought this home on land contract because the house needs too much work, and the banks won't lend on it. As part of the land contract, I have a balloon payment due in 2 years.

The plan is to fix the second house up, move in, refinance it to pay off the land contract, and sell my current house. But, I've done the math, and discovered that I could just stop making payments on my current home, and have enough saved to pay cash for the balance of the land contract on the second house when it comes due in 2 years.

But, I feel the need to do the right thing, and will continue to make the payments on my current house until it sells.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:40 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
How would you get that underwater?

I guess you would get to keep all the lavish vacations and meals out and designer clothes and other luxuries you bought with all the second mortages you took out.

I can't really answer that question because I wouldn't use my home like an ATM to get underwater with my mortgage in the first place.
It would depend upon where you live. Here, in the SF Bay Area, I have MANY friends (myself included) who put well over the normal 20% down on their homes and are now 100k+ underwater. NONE of them took second mortgages, etc.

I bought my home for over 1 million dollars, in July 2005; just about the height of the real estate boom. I put 32% down and I have a "normal," 30 yr, fix rate mortgage. I've been paying, on time, since that time. Housing has taken such a drastic cut, my house is about 200k underwater. I've not taken a second mortgage, home equity, or anything else on my house.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
If a homeowner owes more on their mortage than the home is currently worth, say

Mortgage: $200,000
Value: $100,000
Under water: $100,000

Would it be wrong for him/her to stop making payments and walk away?

Absolutely it's wrong. It's legally wrong and morally wrong.

If you make a promise to pay off a loan, you are an immoral thief if you walk away.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I agree.

edit: Do you also think the banking CEOs, who gamed the system every bit as much as this young couple, should be required to pay for their theivery??

Everyone who steals should be required to repay their theft. Why would it be different if you are a CEO?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:35 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Absolutely it's wrong. It's legally wrong and morally wrong.

If you make a promise to pay off a loan, you are an immoral thief if you walk away.
It is a business contract,nothing more.

Just because it is a business contract for your home doesn't change anything in regards to morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies