Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I don't think the poster was complaining. More like defending against people like you.
People like me! LOL.
Oh my the dreaded-truth telling people like me. Yes, I can see why they would need to defend this.

I simply stated facts and asked a few questions. Yes I see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,334,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Wait. Did you answer my question as to what state only pays teachers 40k after 18 years?

I never sayed 65k or 75k was being payed to much although it good pay for the hours and work involved.

Frankly I guess we see it differently, I don't think one looks at the cost of housing in an area to gauge a fair pay for a job. I think it is whatever the market will bear. Is is supply and demand like most jobs. If a teacher is making 75k and has a spouse who makes around the same then they should actually be able to afford a home in the scenario you suggested.

Why do people believe they are owed a certain standard of living? If one is disatisfied with their job or pay then I would think they would take steps to make changes to secure the skills to move upward. If the teaching profession does not get you to where you desire to go then find a way to improve this. But i don't think people should feel they are owed anything.
YES!! Here are the links. Do you need more?

http://www.bedford.k12.va.us/personn..._2010-2011.pdf

Here are the health care rates:

http://www.bedford.k12.va.us/personn...2011_rates.pdf

Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Then pay them enough so they can save and invest. Like I already stated about teacher salaries, barely enough for student loans and rent. Not enough for savings. One accident or illness and you're wiped out. The benefits justify these salaries.
Question: did you not do your research and understand what the pay was for the career you studied for? This sounds basic to me.

If you are not happy with your career then instead of complaining go back to school and obtain the skills so you can be upwardly mobile instead of being so discontent.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So, to clarify, you are a public sector employee and the only benefits you will receive upon retirement is a $100 contribution towards your health care costs? I find that difficult to believe. Virginia has a state employee pension system which, up until now, was 100% funded by the state.
No. I did not say that the only benefits we receive are a $100 contribution to health care costs. I said that in regards to health care, it is not fully covered. We pay towards our costs while an active employee and the board pays $100 toward it in retirement. See page 4:

http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/retirees/ben...ing.pdf#page=4

Again, not a complaint. I'm just showing that we aren't all fully covered with everything paid for life.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
YES!! Here are the links. Do you need more?

http://www.bedford.k12.va.us/personn..._2010-2011.pdf

Here are the health care rates:

http://www.bedford.k12.va.us/personn...2011_rates.pdf
Thanks. That is crazy.
So with that information people that go to school for education and apply for jobs there will know what they are accepting. It is good that it is layed out in advance for people to have. Armed with this info they can make an informed choice.

I personally would not be happy making that low of a salary and I would not accept a position there. I would either go elsewhere or find a different field.
However there are many women who have a teaching degree who have a husband with high paying jobs and they are willing to accept a teaching job because the hours work well for their kids in school.
I have a friend who is a teacher-her husband has a business and he doesn't have health insurance so by her working for the school system they have insurance for their entire family. So for some people it really works eventhough the pay is low.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,454,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only government employees that should get a pension for life, are career military personnel, with over 25 years of service to our nation.

Small price to pay, for our freedom and safety.

All others should feel privileged to serve our nation in a government capacity. When they are done, we are done with them.
"The common use of the term pension is to describe the payments a person receives upon retirement, usually under pre-determined legal and/or contractual terms." Source

In 1974, I entered into an agreement with my employer, the federal government. In exchange for a lower salary over the course of my career, I received very good benefits, including access to very good health care (with me paying approx. 28% of the premiums, and 100% of any co-pays and deductibles) and retirement (with me paying 7-8% of my salary to a trust fund, with a matching contribution from my employer).

In 2008, I retired, having contributed to my pension over the course of 34 years. I'm not eligible for Social Security - I didn't pay into Social Security over those 34 years - just my federal retirement. But my annuity is sufficient. I am "comfortable" - not rich, but not poor, either.

And I always felt very privileged to be a civil servant, and very proud of my fellow civil servants who seem each year to take more and more abuse from the very people they serve.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Thanks. That is crazy.
So with that information people that go to school for education and apply for jobs there will know what they are accepting. It is good that it is layed out in advance for people to have. Armed with this info they can make an informed choice.

I personally would not be happy making that low of a salary and I would not accept a position there. I would either go elsewhere or find a different field.
However there are many women who have a teaching degree who have a husband with high paying jobs and they are willing to accept a teaching job because the hours work well for their kids in school.
I have a friend who is a teacher-her husband has a business and he doesn't have health insurance so by her working for the school system they have insurance for their entire family. So for some people it really works eventhough the pay is low.
Ok. So we've made some headway in our non-union negotiations.
I just want to reiterate that those teachers are not complaining, but many would lump them in as a profession as a whole and just say, "They make too much. Their benefits are too generous".

As a teacher myself, I would be willing to add 20 days to the teaching contract, which would make contracts that I know of in VA between 215 and 220 days, but would the counties really be able to afford the extra cost?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,661 times
Ah Republicans. After impoverishing the working class they've moved on to their next target: turning the middle class in serfs. Ignore the top percentiles who earn more in a week than you will all year. Remember the real enemy is not the guy with the five houses complaining he wants another one. The problem isn't that he lowered wages and pays less in taxes than his own workers. Nah. The real enemy is the firefighter and the mailman and the teacher. Because no one who isn't truly rich should ever enjoy any economic security!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The only government employees that should get a pension for life, are career military personnel, with over 25 years of service to our nation.

Small price to pay, for our freedom and safety.

All others should feel privileged to serve our nation in a government capacity. When they are done, we are done with them.
Insanity, but then, i'm not surprised.

What makes military personnel any more worthy than teachers, cops, firemen and other emergency responders....or even a librarian or pot-hole filler? Everyone is contributing to the good of the country. This attempt to lionize members of the military to the point that everyone else is meaningless is a crock.

All Americans should have some form of a pension IMO.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,990,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Are you serious? You are seriously going to go from "100% benefits paid" to "$100 covered by the board" and still say that it is too much?
They are called benefits for a reason my friend, and I really don't think that the school board covering $100 in retirement is any great perk. The idea comes from the fact that compared to the private sector, our salaries are lower. The benefits help to make up for that. And trust me, here in VA, we do make lower salaries than the private sector.
Is there a reason you think public sector employees should get 100% of their benefits paid by the taxpayer?

Do you realize how outraged the average citizen is about this?

Who else gets a deal like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies