Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Gee, I don't know - maybe ROADS, BRIDGES, POLICE PROTECTION, FIRE PROTECTION, PROTECTION FROM EXTERNAL INVASION, etc, etc, etc - unlike leaches like yourself who benefit from such things but try & weasle their way out of paying for them.

Talk about someone who didn't EARN IT.

Ken
I don't benefit from those things, and I've never asked for those things. I can take care of myself without society or government interference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Then don't quit.

Look. The state needs teachers. There won't be fewer teachers. There might even be more teachers. There might even be competition for a change. It's a pretty easy job if you ask me.
No one asked you. If you think it's easy, go over to your local school and volunteer in the classroom. I can almost guarantee that after an hour, you will have a new-found respect for teachers.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
I approve of private sector unions but only for limited aspects of working conditions, safety, base pay...etc. When you start forcing employers with tenure and "last in first out" rather than performance controls, you've set the table to have corruption. Look at the union bosses and tell me they aren't corrupt with a straight face.

Why would anyone approve of Private sector unions only? Talk about a "better than You" stance regarding public sector workers.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't benefit from those things, and I've never asked for those things. I can take care of myself without society or government interference.
Oh BULL.
You benefit from those things EVERY SINGLE DAY.
ALL THE FOOD you buy comes across those roads and bridges every single day.
ALL THE CLOTHES you wear, all the materials in the HOUSE you live in, the GAS you use in your car ALL came/come across those roads & bridges.

If you claim to not benefit from the government EVERY SINGLE DAY then GET OFF the damn INTERNET (DEVELOPED WITH GOVERNMENT MONEY) and go live in a damn cave.

Again, you "I don't owe the government anything" clowns are nothing but a bunch of LEACHING BAFFOONS.

Time to put you on "ignore". Your posts are a joke.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-01-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
You're the joke, problem is, you're not even all that funny.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
It is not a matter of approving of them ........I certainly am no fan of Unions, but I dont think they should be outlawed.....I do however think they need to be reigned in and should not be able to give tax dollars to political parties.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Gee, I don't know - maybe ROADS, BRIDGES, POLICE PROTECTION, FIRE PROTECTION, PROTECTION FROM EXTERNAL INVASION, etc, etc, etc - unlike leaches like yourself who benefit from such things but try & weasle their way out of paying for them.

Talk about someone who didn't EARN IT.

Ken
Leaches ....being a little harsh aren't we.....now listen up Lord balfor, I don't believe in government funded schools, my kids never used them, yet I have been paying for them for over 30 years.Does that make me a leach? I have been paying for roads in this state for years that I will never drive on does that make me a leach? All those things you mentioned can be done more cost effectively or completely with out tax dollars..........how many low income people have been paying for high priced libraries, fancy government buildings etc... yet have never set foot in them .....are they leaches as well?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I approve of all unions. If workers want to organize do they not have the right under the 1st Amendment (right to assemble)?
The first amendment has NOTHING to do with unionizing. "Assemble" means meeting privately or publicly to discuss issues without being pressured by govt to disperse.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Leaches ....being a little harsh aren't we.....now listen up Lord balfor, I don't believe in government funded schools, my kids never used them, yet I have been paying for them for over 30 years.Does that make me a leach? I have been paying for roads in this state for years that I will never drive on does that make me a leach? All those things you mentioned can be done more cost effectively or completely with out tax dollars..........how many low income people have been paying for high priced libraries, fancy government buildings etc... yet have never set foot in them .....are they leaches as well?
EVERYONE uses government services - EVERYONE. Public schools that you don't use are used by kids that grow into workers who keep the roads you DO use in shape, they grow into workers who serve in the military who keep YOU safe, they grow into port workers who keep goods that YOU buy flowing into the country, into policemen who put bad guys in jail so that YOU don't get robbed by them, into electricians & engineers who keep YOUR power on (none of which would happen without an educated workforce) - so it really doesn't matter whether or not YOUR kids went to public school or not, you STILL received a benefit from public schools.
EVERYONE in the country benefits from an educated workforce - EVERYONE. That's why every modern country PROVIDES an education for it's populace - not JUST those who can afford to pay for one.

And if YOU - like TKramar - insist on making the silly claim that somehow you don't have to pay taxes because you never use any government services - then YES you are a leech.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-01-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 06:29 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
It is not a matter of approving of them ........I certainly am no fan of Unions, but I dont think they should be outlawed.....I do however think they need to be reigned in and should not be able to give tax dollars to political parties.
I do not think corporations should be allowed to donate to political parties either.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies