Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
You need to study up on that link yourself. Can you show me exactly what fallacy I'm committing?
Yes, circular reasoning. Many others have pointed this out to you already.

Quote:
Honestly though...you're whining because I can't provide any evidence for the very first human couple to exist other than the book that describes them?
More like I am chuckling. The Bible cannot be considered a source for that. It's hearsay at best, and since it is directly contradicted by mountains (literally MOUNTAINS) of evidence, it is an extraordinary claim.

And extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Got any?

Quote:
Really?

There are actually arguments about who shot JFK and you want me to provide real archaeological evidence for Adam and Eve?
Arugmentam ad ignorantum.

Which is a logical fallacy. There you go again. Stop it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Any adult that wants to can already enter a consensual marriage.
No.

They can't.

That's a false argument using loaded terms, and again, intellectually dishonest.

Two men cannot enter a marriage together.

Same with two women.

Same with first cousins.

Same with a woman, 2 men, or any combination thereof.

Until these are extended to all parties, it's excluding some parties, therefore, discriminatory.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
But seeing that our nation's own Constitution state separation of Church and State, ministers and other religious authorities should not have the power to act as an agent of the state.

I'm not saying that every couple shouldn't be entitled to the same benefits from the state, but people are hellbent on the term "marriage" as though it was something to be hoarded.

I'll have to disagree there. This is like saying an ordained minister shouldn't be able to become a Notary Public.

It would make things a little less messy on the surface, with regards to separating legal and religious "marriage", but it's not necessary.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Any adult that wants to can already enter a consensual marriage.
I noticed you kinda missed my post, happens everytime I ask these questions. I wonder why?????

Three questions for you. As a Christian (as I am) can you tell me where Jesus ever called on Caesar to help him stop people from non-force related sins? (Adulterers, drunkards, homosexuals, etc)

I want to know how my LIFE will be affected. I hear that marriage will be jeopardized if gays are allowed to marry. How, walk me through what will happen to me and my wife, my kids, etc.

What will happen to you? Other than your feelings of anger and rage, walk us through what specifically will happen to you when gay people are allowed to marry?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Three questions for you. As a Christian (as I am) can you tell me where Jesus ever called on Caesar to help him stop people from non-force related sins? (Adulterers, drunkards, homosexuals, etc)
At least you do admit now that homosexuality is a sin. That’s good. As a Christian, have you asked your God to help you leave that sin and change? As a Christian you know that part where it says that if we tell your God our wrongdoings and sins He will be willing to forgive and stuff, right?

Or are you being sarcastic about being a Christian? To say you are a gay/lesbian/tranny Christian is like saying that you are a steak-eating rib-loving vegetarian.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
No...I'm suggesting that archaeological evidence can be misinterpreted. And if I have to go w/out my best source, why can't I demand the same of you?
In some ways, you're correct. Scientifically evidence have to be interpreted. They're not based on blind faith, which is about as good as your source presented as "proof" is.

Not that you have provided me with the verse from the Bible (the "version" included) where God married Adam and Eve. I like stories too! That, and was God promoting incest? How does your "the true source" cover the subject of incest, Cain marrying someone from nearby village and so on?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It's not a sin for Satanism but a sin for christianity, catholicism, mormons, islam, judaism, buddhism, hindu religions, and many other religions. Still, instead of joining Satanism gays/lesbians seem to rather REDEFINE other religions or sue them if they don't root for them.

Redifine other religions? Hmmmm, since we're talking about the LEGAL RECOGNITION, or lack thereof, of homosexual marriage - where does the attempt to redifine religion come in? We have secular laws that are not tied to any particular religion, so I'm not sure why you feel this way. Please elaborate...

Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Should it hinge on that criteria?

Why not? What criteria should it hinge on? I would venture to claim that every single illegal activity known in our society has, at least, the potential of a negative impact on another innocent citizen.

What potential negative impacts are there for innocent citizens with regards to homosexual marriage. "Hurt feelings" and "offense" don't count, these need to be tangible wrongs.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Redifine other religions? Hmmmm, since we're talking about the LEGAL RECOGNITION, or lack thereof, of homosexual marriage - where does the attempt to redifine religion come in? We have secular laws that are not tied to any particular religion, so I'm not sure why you feel this way. Please elaborate...
I've always wondered where this "redefining religion" stupidity came from.

Allowing gay marriage on a federal level in no way redefines religion, nor forces churches to wed homosexual couples.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
In some ways, you're correct. Scientifically evidence have to be interpreted. They're not based on blind faith, which is about as good as your source presented as "proof" is.

Not that you have provided me with the verse from the Bible (the "version" included) where God married Adam and Eve. I like stories too! That, and was God promoting incest? What does your source say about the subject?
Actually, I think God was somewhere between promoting incest and mastur-... Yeah. You know what I'm talking about. After all, we must take into consideration that Eve was made from Adam's genetic material alone. Therefore Eve would be a part of Adam and also Adam's kin.

That also would be an "okay" on genetic cloning.

Spoiler
I think I'm a clone now. There's always two of me just a-hangin' around

Now that we have that all sorted out, back to the actual discussion of gay marriage as a government process. And because the entire premise of same-sex marriage deals solely with the government approval process, religion has no say in the matter.

Quote:
And you're using secular opinion that it wasn't as your basis for belief that it wasn't.
Also, forgot to respond to this. I'm not secular. I'm an affirmed Jenova's Witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies