Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
My parents moved down to S.C, just outside of Charlotte in 09, during that time I also got my own apartment (staying here in NY). After I sent in the form to change my registration I went to check to make sure it changed, which it did. I also checked to see if my parents were still registered in NY, and they were not. Don't think they contacted the board of elections to say they moved. My sister also went off to Grad School, in R.I (Brown) and she was no longer registered in NY.
thats rare.. I moved 3+ years ago and I'm still registered in PA, and now registered in OH as well. They do remove people after so many years for not voting, so if your parents were de-registered that could be a reason for it..

There is no national linking of registered voters.. You could indeed be registered in multiple states, or even multiple counties inside the same state and vote in every election multiple times.. Illegal, yeah, but its highly unlikely you'd get caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

22,208 posts, read 19,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But the college students can vote in their actual home state instead...so there is no denial of voting rights.

Also there is the possibility of a college student illegally voting both absentee and at the college,in essence potentially 'stealing' another person's vote.
How many college students vote absentee? How many people in general vote absentee? Above all else, that is what this is about. A way to reduce college aged turnout because they know fewer college students are going to vote if they are forced to vote absentee compared to if they could vote on campus.

19,567 posts, read 21,889,697 times
Quote:
Because that is where they are and live most of the year.......
So what if they split the time equally between two states,should their right to vote in one of those states be lost?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
thats rare.. I moved 3+ years ago and I'm still registered in PA, and now registered in OH as well. They do remove people after so many years for not voting, so if your parents were de-registered that could be a reason for it..
This was pretty quickly that they were removed, and my parents vote every year (though they didn't vote their first year in SC) so it wasn't like they were removed for years of not voting.

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
So what if they split the time equally between two states,should their right to vote in one of those states be lost?
They should be able to vote in only one state. If I were affected, I would prefer to vote in a state where the policies affect me under the new government.

Quote:
No, different country..... Same for college students who are abroad.
And where do college students who are abroad vote? Go ahead.. tell me they vote where they are from..

so why is this any different?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,889,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why not in the state where they are likely to be for 4 years or more, and policies that will affect them?
Are they residents of that state or not?

Are they going to give up their resident status in their home state and not be allowed to vote there?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
In one of those states, yes. They obviously shouldn't be allowed to vote in both, but they get to choose the state they want to register to vote in.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,311,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Asking people to vote where they reside isnt voter supression.. Who's being told they cant vote?

GOP Voter Suppression and Obstruction Program Are a National Enterprise

Quote:
Madison, Wisconsin—Not exactly shocking that the Voter Suppression scheme among the Republican Party of Wisconsin, Americans for Prosperity, and Tea Party Groups is under way here in this important swing state. Thanks to the efforts of One Wisconsin Now the program to obstruct minority and college-age voters have been exposed.

GOP operatives like Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen know well that Republicans lose in high-voter turnout elections, thus the top state’s top law enforcement official’s energetic work in the corrupt stop-the-vote legal case that was tossed out of court in 2008.

See J B Van Hollen vs. Government Accountability Board et al, (Dane County Case Number 2008CV004085); and WI Elect Board Hits DOJ, GOP Voter Suppression; Brennan Center on Wisconsin Van Hollen 2008 Voter Suppression Decision, and Targeting Black Milwaukee Voters, and Black Voters Across the Nation (Andrew Hacker, New York Review of Books, Sept 25, 2008) for background.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Why not in the state where they are likely to be for 4 years or more, and policies that will affect them?
Because thats not where their taxes are filed. They are most likely being claimed on their parents tax forms.. So they should vote where taxes are paid..
Quote:
So, a conservative argument dismisses the premise that requires citizenship?
I dont think you should be dictating policies in town A, and then filing taxes in a completely different town. Explain to me why you think its fair to have someone who doesnt file taxes in your town to dictate what you should do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies