U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM
 
334 posts, read 146,460 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Asking people to vote where they reside isnt voter supression.. Who's being told they cant vote?
Fine. Let's prevent active duty military stationed overseas from voting too. That should bode well for the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
 
7,578 posts, read 4,053,399 times
Reputation: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Different from, say, North Korea, or China in some way?
It is the Republic that is in reference to them both. However, now, you have gone over my head in the newly assigned homework, I have given to myself, in what the avalon projects have to offer me in education.

So---in your view, different how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 53,796,370 times
Reputation: 9357
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Fine. Let's prevent active duty military stationed overseas from voting too. That should bode well for the party.
Actually your example of military personnel is a prime example of why this is ok, although your conclusion is completely backwards..

No one is stopping college students or military personnel from voting, they both should vote in their home state (i.e. legally reside). Military personnel right now do, they mail in absentee ballots. College students do not, they vote where they are on the day of the elections, regardless of the state they live.

Do you think college kids are better than those in the military and deserve special treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,382 posts, read 7,532,805 times
Reputation: 6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Different from, say, North Korea, or China in some way?
In those countries the people don't have much of a say and they know it. Here, politicians want us to believe we still have a say when, in reality, it's the money behind them that does all the talking. Obamacare was a shining example of voters being deliberately ignored, only this time the politicians didn't care how obvious it was.

They no longer represented us, but ruled over us.

The Fed is at war with the states by chipping away at their sovereignty. We might be witnessing the dismantling of the Republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Kenmore, WA
7,359 posts, read 6,237,395 times
Reputation: 10577
I believe most states have absentee ballots for out of state residents. I don't normally side with the GOP, but I see nothing wrong with requiring residency in order to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
 
39,092 posts, read 23,262,402 times
Reputation: 12159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A referendum needs a percentage of the previous number of voters to get on the ballot.. If there is a town with 2,000 people, and 1,000 of them are students, you easily could get a referendum on the ballot like this

Doesnt have to be a statewide ballot. How about a very small municipality, which consists primarily of what we would call "a college town" and the small businesses in the region that support it..

It woudlnt dictate tuition rates, it would dictate who pays.. It would be indeed legal, in the same manner PELL pays for peoples college education..

No.. according to your argument they should be allowed to vote in the community even if they were not a residency right? Remember the thread, you are criticising the need to make them a resident.. And yes there are lots of small towns where students outnumber the residents..

Thats simply not true..
In most states, an assault/battery is committed when one person 1) tries to or does physically strike another, or 2) acts in a threatening manner to put another in fear of immediate harm. Many states declare that a more serious or "aggravated" assault/battery occurs when one 1) tries to or does cause severe injury to another, or 2) causes injury through use of a deadly weapon. Historically, laws treated the threat of physical injury as "assault", and the completed act of physical contact or offensive touching as "battery," but many states no longer differentiate between the two.

There was never an exception to allow you to beat your wife. They might have turned their back on the crime, but that doesnt mean it was legal.

You are making things up as you go along to try to pretend laws arent redundant..

What gives you the ability to judge what is worthy and what isnt? Dont you think the residents of a state should decide what is a valid law and what isnt? Another liberal who thinks they know better for others..
How does it not have to be a statewide ballot? Either it's a state institution, or it's a private institution. What kind of college are you envisioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,382 posts, read 7,532,805 times
Reputation: 6626
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Fine. Let's prevent active duty military stationed overseas from voting too. That should bode well for the party.
Who is being "prevented" from voting? Nobody!

Students have every right to vote in the state they were born, and should. Military have the right to vote (but somehow never get counted) in exactly the same way, and do. But don't let facts get in the way of your message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,775 posts, read 14,886,729 times
Reputation: 3866
The idea that college students should not be able to vote where they spend 8-9 months out of the year is absolutely ridiculous. This is about one thing and one thing only, trying to reduce turnout for college aged students because they happen to be very Democratic, hell the very sponsor of the bill in New Hampshire pretty much admitted as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
 
334 posts, read 146,460 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually your example of military personnel is a prime example of why this is ok, although your conclusion is completely backwards..

No one is stopping college students or military personnel from voting, they both should vote in their home state (i.e. legally reside). Military personnel right now do, they mail in absentee ballots. College students do not, they vote where they are on the day of the elections, regardless of the state they live.

Do you think college kids are better than those in the military and deserve special treatment?
I think that if they go to school for longer than 6 months out of the year, their school should be considered their new residence. Just like with everyone else that has 2 homes.

However someone stationed in Germany isn't even in the US. Let's stop them from voting entirely. Shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,775 posts, read 14,886,729 times
Reputation: 3866
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Kat, yes it is an issue

look we(you and I) have had many good debates, but think of it this way

would you want me a New York resident, coming out to CO. to attend a 120day course at Intermountain hazmat school, and because I have an apartment for those 120 days I vote not only on an absentee ballot for my New york reps/senators/judges..but also vote in the local election there....I dont think you would find that very fair...would you???
You would not be able to vote absentee in NY if you registered to vote in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top