Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
If you can't beat the opposition at the pools, just keep their voting blocks from voting at all.

So even if people are permanent residents, they couldn't vote if they were college students if their parents did not live there.

That's a great way to champion "Freedom"!

In states, parties clash over voting laws that call for IDs, limits on where college students can cast ballots
If the parents claim them as dependents, if they file their own taxes back home and so forth that would be their residence.

I don't know that every student votes in their college town; if they vote I would think it would be at home through the mail.

PS: Will Democrats start to let the overseas milirary vote count? Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We already have laws limiting theft also, but you can see more laws written if you rob a bank right?

There are laws against assaulting individuals, but yet we have domestic violence laws.

Laws are often redundant..
Laws that are redundant confuse the system. They are not OFTEN redundant. They are RARELY redundant. New laws that address robbery, address new situations. For instance, it's against the law to rob a bank. The law defines robbery in a certain way. But that law might not address a computer skimming fractions of cents off of bank transactions. That's bank robbery, but the law doesn't define it as such, so new law has to be written to address the situation.

There is no new situation being addressed here. This is purely redundant, intrusive law with no real purpose. It is spin. And spin never makes good laws.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You assume wrongly. It was not a driver's license. I did not acquire a driver's license until I was in my 20's. And my tax returns as well as utility bills were perfectly sufficient to establish my residency, and the photo ID from Arkansas confirmed my identity. There was no requirement by Minnesota that I obtain a photo ID from Minnesota, though my student ID would have satisfied that requirement. I voted in Minnesota, and I did so LEGALLY.
maybe you THOUGHT you did...but BY THE LAW you didnt

Part 2. Classification as State Residents. Students who meet one or more of the following conditions on the date they apply for admission to a state college or university shall be classified as residents of Minnesota.

A. Students who resided in the state for at least one calendar year immediately prior to applying for admission, or dependent students who have a parent or legal guardian residing in Minnesota on the date the students apply.

B. Minnesota residents who can demonstrate that they were temporarily absent from the state without establishing residency elsewhere.

C. Persons who moved to the state for employment purposes and, before moving and before applying for admission to a public postsecondary institution, accepted a full-time job in the state, or students who are spouses or dependents of such persons.
Minnesota State Statutes 135A.031, subd. 2
Procedure 2.2.1 - State Residency

so unless you LIVED there for ONE year PRIOR to going to school, or moved there for EMPLOYMENT prior to attending school...you were NOT a resident in the eyes of the state

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The fact that your state didnt do it this way, doesnt mean other states dont have the right to establish voter laws for their state..

Do I think the bill is overkill, most likely, but I can clearly see the problem if college kids are voting in a district in which they are not a legal residence..

For example, suppose college kids got a referendum on the ballot stating "free college for anyone who lives in town x", and then they all went out and voted for it, leaving those who live in the region and pay taxes to picking the bill..

That would be wrong, would it not?
Your example is ridiculous.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Part 2. Classification as State Residents. Students who meet one or more of the following conditions on the date they apply for admission to a state college or university shall be classified as residents of Minnesota.

A. Students who resided in the state for at least one calendar year immediately prior to applying for admission, or dependent students who have a parent or legal guardian residing in Minnesota on the date the students apply.

B. Minnesota residents who can demonstrate that they were temporarily absent from the state without establishing residency elsewhere.

C. Persons who moved to the state for employment purposes and, before moving and before applying for admission to a public postsecondary institution, accepted a full-time job in the state, or students who are spouses or dependents of such persons.

so unless you LIVED there for ONE year PRIOR to going to school, or moved there for EMPLOYMENT prior to attending school...you were NOT a resident in the eyes of the state

I started college when I was 17. So, I didn't register to vote until I had been a resident for a year, I was employed full-time as well as going to college, and I had tax returns to prove it. Why are you wasting so much time on this? I was LEGALLY registered to vote in Minnesota, and I voted there.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If the parents claim them as dependents, if they file their own taxes back home and so forth that would be their residence.
I think thats an excellent point..
You cant be filing taxes in city A, and then claim you are a resident of city B
Quote:
Laws that are redundant confuse the system. They are not OFTEN redundant. They are RARELY redundant. New laws that address robbery, address new situations. For instance, it's against the law to rob a bank. The law defines robbery in a certain way. But that law might not address a computer skimming fractions of cents off of bank transactions. That's bank robbery, but the law doesn't define it as such, so new law has to be written to address the situation.

There is no new situation being addressed here. This is purely redundant, intrusive law with no real purpose. It is spin. And spin never makes good laws.
Thats simply not true...
Again, its illegal to assault people, thats ANYONE, and again, they have domestic violence laws that say you cant assault your wife, you cant assault your children.. Yes, thats another law... Nothing in the original assault law allows you to assault your wife or your children, so writing new ones making it illegal to assault your wife or your child is very much redundant but done daily.

You cant rob someone, but there are other laws that say you cant go into a bank and tell the teller to give you money, with or without a gun..

You are avoiding the examples on purpose because they dont support your argument..
Quote:
Your example is ridiculous.
More likely it clearly shows why people should only vote where they setup residency and pay taxes and you didnt like it..

Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

Your accusation is untrue. A school's requriements for instate tuition have NOTHING TO DO with their requirements for voting. How do you know she even went to a state university that has residency requirements for in-state tuition? My daughter went to a private college in MN; we all paid the same amount of money, in-state or out-of-state. Talk about comparing apples with cats!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
I started college when I was 17. So, I didn't register to vote until I had been a resident for a year, I was employed full-time as well as going to college, and I had tax returns to prove it. Why are you wasting so much time on this? I was LEGALLY registered to vote in Minnesota, and I voted there.
because your example is only one..there are many who are not like you and still vote

my thing has been and still is...there HAS TO B A STANDARD

you were 17...did your parents claimyou as a dependant.????...IF SO..then they make your residency....you had a AR id...why not a MN id if you were a resident????.....lots of questions....

this is why we need NATIONAL standards...state laws that at the very least fit a NATIONAL standard..if the state want to have a higher standard, that's fine, but establish a MINIMUM NATIOANL STANDARD

Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I think thats an excellent point..
You cant be filing taxes in city A, and then claim you are a resident of city B

If you owe taxes to City A, regardless of where you live, you have to pay them. Paying taxes to an entity does not, in and of itself, confer residency. Some cities, your hometown of Pittsburgh being one of them, charge a wage tax to people working there, regardless of where they live.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
my thing has been and still is...there HAS TO B A STANDARD
My question is, how do we stop people from being registered in multiple locations?

I'm still registered in PA.. In order to remove me they wanted me to mail them a letter which I have never done.. I'm also registered in Oh. I could register in IO, FL, or even GA where I own property, and numerous counties in PA, and theoretically, drive to many of those locations all in 1 day and vote multiple times. I would easily get away with it..

I could also find someone to go in and pretend to be me, and place a vote for me, at least in those states that dont require ID (Pa last I voted did not)..

Nothing is setup to stop this from taking place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies